What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out to dinner tonite, wife ordered a bottle from the wine list.

I read the back label:

Fermention: 98% French oak (sur lie). 2% stainless steel.
Aged for 8 months in 34% new, 66% neutral French oak barrels.
22% malolactic fermentation.

I thought “wow that took some blending work”.

Enjoying a 2016 Chardonnay from The Winery at Bull Run that @mainshipfred gave me last weekend. Nice and crisp, but with subtle buttery notes. I'd say MLF, with just a little oak. The winery is very close by - only 5 or 6 miles away.

I happened across a bottle of Blaufränkisch from Washington for small money, viz., $9. I've always been partial to Blaufränkisch, so I nabbed one. It did not disappoint. It is labeled "Shooting Star" (and the label gives a long backstory). It is denoted as a 2014 "Blue Franc," which the label risibly says is the "Anglicized version" of Blaufränkisch. It was delightful, with that pleasing Washington minerality that Mike and I like, with plenty of fruit, and the typical Blaufränkisch spice. Very good QPR.
PS: the label is based on a French franc bill (pre-euro, of course).
DSCN1156.jpg

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah that I started in January of 2014. Now that I'm down to 6 bottles, its finally come around. Nicely.

CC Showcase Yakima Syrah that I started in January of 2014. Now that I'm down to 6 bottles, its finally come around. Nicely.

I don't know if I had realized this before (and forgot due to old-timer's disease) or not, but this is a co-inky-dink: I started my CC Showcase Yakima Syrah in January, 2014, too; I am down to 8. Mine is also not the best batch I have ever made, but is in the upper half, and still improving.:b

I don't know if I had realized this before (and forgot due to old-timer's disease) or not, but this is a co-inky-dink: I started my CC Showcase Yakima Syrah in January, 2014, too; I am down to 8. Mine is also not the best batch I have ever made, but is in the upper half, and still improving.:b

I think we both jumped on this one when word got out it was being discontinued.

Nice to know that a kit wine is still improving at 4 years of age. Glad I used some Nomacorcs on my Brunello batch.

Latest posts

Back