What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2010 Sparkman Cellars "Preposterous" Red Mountain Malbec. This Sh1T is BanAnAnas! :db

94pts WS and it is just getting better and better with each passing hour. Now if only the Huskies would! :ft

IMG_1766.jpg

Opened my last bottle of 2013 Kenridge LR California Grand Red last night. :( It was good though. We also went through some Ghost Pines Cab and Black Forest port. :dg

Feast your eyes on this!

Hope it's still drinkable!!

Tasting Notes

The 1976 Lafite clearly stands far above the crowd in this vintage. A beautiful bouquet of seductive cedarwood, spices, and ripe fruit precedes a very concentrated, darkly colored wine, with great length and texture. Some amber is just beginning to appear at the edge. The 1976 has turned out to be the best Lafite of the '70s. It is gorgeous to drink at present. Anticipated maturity: Now-2005. Last tasted, 9/96.

Hope it's still drinkable!!

Tasting Notes

The 1976 Lafite clearly stands far above the crowd in this vintage. A beautiful bouquet of seductive cedarwood, spices, and ripe fruit precedes a very concentrated, darkly colored wine, with great length and texture. Some amber is just beginning to appear at the edge. The 1976 has turned out to be the best Lafite of the '70s. It is gorgeous to drink at present. Anticipated maturity: Now-2005. Last tasted, 9/96.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! That would be such a let down if it weren't. Besides losing out on good wine, it's non-refundable!

Okay okay here is the play by play moment of truth. I pulled the foil off and there was crud underneath. I pulled the cork off and the crud was only on top. The smell that emanated was...divine (phew!). The cedar was very definitive. I would also say vanilla and clove were present. I gave it 20 min to breathe. The taste-complex beyond definition. Texture- very gentle but not lacking in body.

That was so good a need a cigarette now. My next bottle is sauterne!

2014 Columbia Crest Horse Haven Hills Reserve Chenin Blanc

I'm a big Chenin Blanc fan though you find quite a few that really disappoints. This one does not!

Scents of pineapple and lemongrass. Flavors of lemon, lime, pear and light apricot. Light, lively, just beautiful.

IMG_20161117_190557.jpg

Opened an 18 month old Diablo Rojo (cheap WE kit) with 6 lbs added skins and .75L red grape concentrate. 15.5% ABV. Still don't love the F-pack, if I made it again I'd make it dry. One thing I really notice is that 1) the sweetness isn't as objectionable, 2) I really don't notice the alcohol, yet and 3) the oak has really integrated into the overall flavor, it was dominate at 12 months.

Like @Boatboy24 had commented to me after trying it, would make a really good Sangria base and I agree, though it does stand well on it's own as a sippin' wine.

11-17-16_Diablo-Rojo-18mos.jpg

I remember that wine and agree with your take on it. Good on its own, but the fruit/sweet would serve well as a sangria base. I enjoyed it.

WE Barolo tonight. Made 4 kits at once in var cap tank, using spirals instead of oak beans that came with it. Then bulk aged for over a year. Came out of the tanks nice but over last year or so really one of my better wines! Cheers!

DragonTini's -

Which is a 20# fresh blackberry/raspberry light on the lemonjuice dragon blood. With about a shot of craft sorghum spirits.

Next one will shake with ice and garnish with a lemon peel but this one is inspiring ;)

Jwow!

Cheers,
Johann

image.jpeg

Opened the first bottle of the 2015's. Early, I know. But I wanted to see how things were. Decanted for about an hour. Really, really good. Though a little harsh on the finish - tannins need to settle still. I'm pretty pumped about these wines. A year +/- and I think I'm going to have some outstanding wine. Will give one of the other blends a try tomorrow when Dad is over for dinner.

Opened the first bottle of the 2015's. Early, I know. But I wanted to see how things were. Decanted for about an hour. Really, really good. Though a little harsh on the finish - tannins need to settle still. I'm pretty pumped about these wines. A year +/- and I think I'm going to have some outstanding wine. Will give one of the other blends a try tomorrow when Dad is over for dinner.

So what was it (variety wise)?

I've been working on a mystery bottle that I opened and vacuvin'ed last weekend without labeling. Thought it was a Valpolicella, but in reality is a Sangiovese. Took a full glass to figure that one out. Probably a good exercise to blind taste a few of your own wines. I think we all allow assumptions of certain wines to cloud what we are actually tasting.

Last edited:
So what was it (variety wise)?

I've been working on a mystery bottle that I opened and vacuvin'ed last weekend without labeling. Thought it was a Valpolicella, but in reality is a Sangiovese. Took a full glass to figure that one out. Probably a good exercise to blind taste a few of your own wines. I think we all allow assumptions of certain wines to cloud what we are actually tasting.

Last year, I did Cab, Syrah and Petite Sirah. This was a blend that was heavier in Cab (which I had trouble with, as you may recall). Tomorrow's test will be a blend that was heavier on Syrah.

Still have 3 gallons of 100% Petite Sirah from that vintage to bottle, as well as another 3 that is a blend of the remains, plus a touch of the 2014 Amador Zin.

Back