What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30882228645_5b143693e4_c.jpg

I paid $15 in Total Wine ( after a coupon ), best value white this year so far.

bottle nose faint mellon, pour, orange gold, nose wheat kernel, dry and saline, robust acid, lasting umami finish.

30882228645_5b143693e4_c.jpg

I paid $15 in Total Wine ( after a coupon ), best value white this year so far.

bottle nose faint mellon, pour, orange gold, nose wheat kernel, dry and saline, robust acid, lasting umami finish.

I've had their Rose and it is very good.

G'day! Tonight, I'm having the 2015 Insurrection red blend from SE Australia. I'd call it the Apothic Dark from down under.

On my second glass of WE Australian Shiraz... Normally only have one glass but today is a special occasion... It is the Marine Corps birthday!

To think it is now 51 years ago that I was a 21 year old Marine Corps Corporal serving my country in Vietnam attached to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 542.

Semper Fi to all my brother and sister Marines. Past, present and future.

images

IMAG0387[1].jpg

On my second glass of WE Australian Shiraz... Normally only have one glass but today is a special occasion... It is the Marine Corps birthday!

To think it is now 51 years ago that I was a 21 year old Marine Corps Corporal serving my country in Vietnam attached to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 542.

Semper Fi to all my brother and sister Marines. Past, present and future.

images

Thanks for what you did for all of us at home.

I still think he could grow some vines in that front yard... Bill, thank you for your service to our country and allowing us to have a free election this past Tuesday.

Negotiated this past January for that piece of property but was unable to agree on price. Will raise my offer a bit next year and see if we can come to terms. It is not a very desirable building lot which is why, I guess, it hasn't yet sold.

Right now the deer (that buck is a nice 8 pointer) and the neighbor's cat consider that piece of property theirs.
smilie.gif

IMAG0385[1].jpg

Right now the deer (that buck is a nice 8 pointer) and the neighbor's cat consider that piece of property theirs.

I notice all of the "wild life" is looking your way, did you moon them or something to get them to look but not run? (they sort of all have an astonished type look on their faces, like "I've never seen him do that before" ).

I notice all of the "wild life" is looking your way, did you moon them or something to get them to look but not run? (they sort of all have an astonished type look on their faces, like "I've never seen him do that before" ).

LOL... Are you a retired Detective? You're very observant. Yeah, deer were first observed about 40 yards off the front porch. They took off when the front door was opened in order to take the photo and then the deer stopped, about 80 yards away, to look back. Our neighbor's cat also looked back our way but don't know whether those two species were aware of each others presence.

I do hunt deer but because two of my neighbors consider the dear their "pets" I don't hunt my own property. It hurts sometimes but my wife and I feel our good relationship with our neighbors (and friends) is more important than taking the deer.

LOL... Are you a retired Detective? You're very observant. Yeah, deer were first observed about 40 yards off the front porch. They took off when the front door was opened in order to take the photo and then the deer stopped, about 80 yards away, to look back. Our neighbor's cat also looked back our way but don't know whether those two species were aware of each others presence.

I do hunt deer but because two of my neighbors consider the dear their "pets" I don't hunt my own property. It hurts sometimes but my wife and I feel our good relationship with our neighbors (and friends) is more important than taking the deer.

Not retired, yet. Silencers and night hunting (with night vision goggles) could help out!

Actually, I feel your pain. My Father in law had neighbors who had a corn crib to feed the deer and a salt-lick. When the weather got rough and they couldn't get out to restock the corn-crib, the deer would come down and decimate his bushes around the house. He had pictures from the kitchen window where you could easily make out the whiskers on their snouts, they were that close, and wouldn't run unless he opened the back door.

Of course the real story is that he and his son would go hunting every year and never bag a deer, yet he'd go home at night and they were 3 feet from the foundation of his house, and well fed!

Not retired, yet. Silencers and night hunting (with night vision goggles) could help out!

Actually, I feel your pain. My Father in law had neighbors who had a corn crib to feed the deer and a salt-lick. When the weather got rough and they couldn't get out to restock the corn-crib, the deer would come down and decimate his bushes around the house. He had pictures from the kitchen window where you could easily make out the whiskers on their snouts, they were that close, and wouldn't run unless he opened the back door.

Of course the real story is that he and his son would go hunting every year and never bag a deer, yet he'd go home at night and they were 3 feet from the foundation of his house, and well fed!

For years back in CT I didn't hunt my property because a neighbor was feeding the deer. Met Mark in the woods between our properties one day and somehow the discussion turned to his feeding the deer. Turns out he was feeding the deer to keep them away from his landscaping shrubs and such. Mark says... "Bill, you can shoot all the deer you want. You'd be doing me a favor." Two of my new neighbors here in PA consider them something akin to pets. One neighbor asked my wife to ask me not to shoot "her deer".

10-2

Batch 10, version 2. Spring 2015 Merlot juice bucket with Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec lugs of grapes (18 lbs each). Just turned 18 months old, so I went back to the wine sanctuary, and it was the first bottle to make a break for freedom, so I cut it down in it's youth. Glad I did.

This is seriously pretty good at this point. The -2 part of the 10-2 meant that I had added some Tannin Extra Riche at the end before bottling. Everything flavor wise is much more subdued than what it was six months ago. The nose still has some alcohol to it, but mostly rich dark fruit. Tannins are pretty soft since it is +/- 73% Merlot. The bitter Malbec aftertaste is gone, I'm actually having problems tasting anything Malbec in this wine. I'll have to go buy one of our gestapo Bordeaux's in the $20 range and compare, but this is a pretty good wine at this point, I'll have to share with @jgmann67 and @Boatboy24 and see what they think (or someone else could PM me and I might pick one of you to send out a sample, if I'm feeling generous tomorrow morning).

Edit (11-15-16): Saved the balance of this bottle with my vacuvin. Upon sampling the rest I do really notice the vanilla from the Tannin Extra Riche. It is subtle, but still there. I think for my 10th batch I ever made it isn't a bad try. Curious to see how it holds up to aging for a few more years.

11-11-16_merot_10-2.jpg

Last edited:
For years back in CT I didn't hunt my property because a neighbor was feeding the deer. Met Mark in the woods between our properties one day and somehow the discussion turned to his feeding the deer. Turns out he was feeding the deer to keep them away from his landscaping shrubs and such. Mark says... "Bill, you can shoot all the deer you want. You'd be doing me a favor." Two of my new neighbors here in PA consider them something akin to pets. One neighbor asked my wife to ask me not to shoot "her deer".

All I can say from being up there a few hundred times, and having family who had lived on Central Avenue for all of their lives, there are plenty of places to find deer in your parts. Here is hoping you can find someone like Mark who wants you to rid himself of a "pest" deer population that hopefully holds a few 8 or 10 pointers.

All I can say from being up there a few hundred times, and having family who had lived on Central Avenue for all of their lives, there are plenty of places to find deer in your parts. Here is hoping you can find someone like Mark who wants you to rid himself of a "pest" deer population that hopefully holds a few 8 or 10 pointers.

[Family owns hunting cabin and property in Fulton County, PA. That's where I go to hook up with my brothers and do most of my hunting. "Life is good!"]

Will be drinking a glass of WE Amarone tonight.

Last edited:
Back