What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fairly mediocre blend based on one of my wines which is aging still, having said that im enjoying it, in all fairness, despite the lack of quality.

in all fairness I added a bit of black currant juice when I bottled it (kinda like a bit of a mini f pack) which has made it more palatable/enjoyable, because as it was it kinda sucked tbh.

Main thing is its going down well now I guess.

A friend came over for dinner and brought a white blend of white grenache+ viognier (called "Flying Solo") for a preprandial. Pretty tasty, actually. For dinner, she brought a nice 2013 Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills called Lincourt. Finally, I am capping off the evening with some of my CC Sterling Merlot, which is the first wine I ever made (33 mos old).

Last edited:
I had to coach baseball practice last nite for my son, so I didn't have any wine, but got a call on the way from Mrs. JohnD. What wine can I open? she said. I told her any one she wanted, assuming she knew to pull from the cellar in the living room with the aged wine in it. Upon return from practice, she was sipping on a nice looking white wine, I inquired what it was. Turns out it was the NZ Marlborough Sauvingnon Blanc I bottled 10 days ago, ughhhh! After I reminded her that we don't drink from that cellar, she said "OH, but it's quite nice!"

I had to coach baseball practice last nite for my son, so I didn't have any wine, but got a call on the way from Mrs. JohnD. What wine can I open? she said. I told her any one she wanted, assuming she knew to pull from the cellar in the living room with the aged wine in it. Upon return from practice, she was sipping on a nice looking white wine, I inquired what it was. Turns out it was the NZ Marlborough Sauvingnon Blanc I bottled 10 days ago, ughhhh! After I reminded her that we don't drink from that cellar, she said "OH, but it's quite nice!"

The Eclipse? Yep, it's good early, but just wait until it's a year old. Even better!

Got an email from the site saying I needed to check this thread out. So I guess I have to open something.

2014 Kenridge LR Tempranillo Garnacha. It's OK. It is taking quite a while to come around. But its getting there.

Putting bottles in, taking them out, trying to figure out which 12 I'm taking for some time to be spent with my two brothers (one older, one younger). It's nice that it is tough to limit it to just 12. If we do the same thing next spring it will be really hard by then. My older brother and I like dry reds and whites, his wife likes sweeter reds and whites, and the younger brother drinks beer (he brings his own 30 pack(s)).

Meanwhile sampling some of the Merlot blend I added tannin extra riche to, wishing I had bottled it a few weeks ago. Think my older brother would have enjoyed it. There's always next Christmas...

The Eclipse? Yep, it's good early, but just wait until it's a year old. Even better!

Yep, the Eclipse. She ranked it up with the Mosti Mondiale Masters Edition All Juice Pinot Grigio, pretty good ranking considering the cost difference. Seems I'm having trouble keeping whites in the house, the wife, sister, and sisters in law have taken a liking.

il_214x170.912961196_cpyi.jpg
........ :)

I love it when I have to look up a word, thanks for making me learn something today!

Get your hands on as many of the RQ/LR Whites that you can while you (still) can. Those are winners every time.

Seems I'm having trouble keeping whites in the house, the wife, sister, and sisters in law have taken a liking.

Last edited:
I agree, those limited release whites never disappoint me, I've done WE and CC, but am sure the RJS are a super product too.

Not only a fantastic wine but I forgot it had something very unique about it. One of the only wines I have ever had that came with a glass enclosure. Was not corked! Fantastic Syrah. I wish I could get ahold of fruit this pure. 2010 Eight Bells Syrah from Red Willow vineyard in Yakima Valley which is hard to get a contract for but somehow this little winery has one. Latest version of this wine got 92pts WS and this wine is equally as good. Just amazing from start to finish. A finish that doesn't want to quit for sure.

IMG_1062.jpg

RJ's W.S. Pinot noir from 1/2015. Not bad at this point, but we've yet to find a kit pinot that was all that spectacular. The WE LE Oregon being the best of what we've made so far.

With the lovely dinner (mentioned elsewhere), we had a bottle of 2012 Horse Heaven Hills Red Blend. This wine is pretty strong stuff! It is 60% Syrah, 27% Merlot, plus some Cab Franc, Viognier, and Malbec. While not a traditional blend, it sure was nice!! It was oakey, brooding, and powerful.

Last edited:
Last night I had a Cajun Gumbo for dinner. Like many of my Cajun favorites, I love pairing them with a Riesling. Last night's was a 2013 Ravines Dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes region of NY. Scents of citrus, rubber, and green raisins on the nose and semi-tart honeydew and a light lemon zest on the palate. Very good acidity and finish. Nicely balanced wine. It was fantastic.

PHOTO_20160419_202821.jpg

Latest posts

Back