What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old is your EP Pinot Noir? That cheapy bottle I bought yesterday from Chile was so good last night I finished the whole frickin' thing. Paid for it this morning, but it was actually quite pleasant last night.

Guess I have to practice a bit more so I can finish the bottle w/o ill after effects the next morning. Seeing that most here finish the whole bottle I guess I'll have to work harder to become a member in good standing.

How old is your EP Pinot Noir? That cheapy bottle I bought yesterday from Chile was so good last night I finished the whole frickin' thing. Paid for it this morning, but it was actually quite pleasant last night.

Guess I have to practice a bit more so I can finish the bottle w/o ill after effects the next morning. Seeing that most here finish the whole bottle I guess I'll have to work harder to become a member in good standing.

It is almost 3 years old. Started July, 2013.

Had a glass left over from bottling an Island Mist Peach Raspberry Sangria. Stuck it in the freezer and gave my wife a small sample. She is trying to complete a take home test due Tuesday (algebra) and the sample didn't help her concentrate. She attempted to lick out every bit in the glass. Guess I can add that one to the win column. Though it might push back my eventual retirement if she does poorly on the test.

Will be a great base wine to pour over ice with some sliced fruit this summer. I could also see me drinking it straight from the bottle, chilled, with no glass needed.

Edit: wife is still studying, so I'm working on the 6 or so ounces of Sangria that is chilled. I'm not a sweet wine drinker normally, but this isn't half bad (a bit more than half the f-pack was thrown in during primary fermentation, so the terminal SG was lower than the kit suggests it should be).

Last edited:
The wife and I shared a bottle of APOTHIC RED with dinner. A very nice California dry blended red.

Last night I had a wonderful 2012 Goldeneye Anderson Valley Pinot Noir

Caliginously garnet in color, medium bodied with a warming alcohol level. Fruit forward with strawberry and raspberry jam on the nose and cherries, strawberries, and rose petals on the tongue. Very juicy with a long finish and a potent acidity that blends well with the progressive fruit flavors.

I should work on taking straighter pictures hah.

PHOTO_20160426_200407.jpg

Caliginously garnet in color, medium bodied with a warming alcohol level. Fruit forward with strawberry and raspberry jam on the nose and cherries, strawberries, and rose petals on the tongue. Very juicy with a long finish and a potent acidity that blends well with the progressive fruit flavors.

:? When you stump Sour_Grapes, you have done well!!!! :?

With the help of Merriam-Webster: Caliginous: Misty, dark.

My second-biggest surprise here is that a Pinot Noir would move you to invoke this word!

:? When you stump Sour_Grapes, you have done well!!!! :?

With the help of Merriam-Webster: Caliginous: Misty, dark.

My second-biggest surprise here is that a Pinot Noir would move you to invoke this word!

:h

It's by far the darkest Pinot Noir I've ever seen. :) It's also very different from most Pinot Noir's I've had. Well, I mean it's still fruity, but it has a very jammy taste kind of like many of the bold Australian Shiraz. The alcohol level was very pronounced and warming also, but the forward jammy flavors and zing of the high acidity made everything balance extremely well. I was very impressed with this Pinot.

If you come across a bottle. I would recommend it. Not just because it's very good, but because it's different.

Last edited:

I should work on taking straighter pictures hah.

Where'd you get your corkscrew? It looks strikingly similar to mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MSXW15E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

BTW: it is the best corkscrew I've ever owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where'd you get your corkscrew? It looks strikingly similar to mine: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MSXW15E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

BTW: it is the best corkscrew I've ever owned.

Amazon! :)

This is the one I bought, but I believe they are both OEM by the same manufacturer. Obviously, my handle wood color didn't match the picture I ordered from, but that doesn't bother me. It still looks and functions great.

I just bought it. I've been using one I bought in Rome back in 2007 until about two weeks ago. The one I got in Rome works, but it's not double-hinged which makes it slightly more of a hassle which is why I bought the new one. I agree, it's a great waiter's corkscrew.

I have a Vinomaster too and it was great until I found out it occasionally pushes the cork into the bottle rather than driving the worm into the cork. That got benched quick once that started to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByWine Making1461892984.377010.jpg
The first wall street journal wine I poured out. Usually I can deal with a ho hum wine, but this seemed faulty. Not like the three "angels reserve" naked wines wines that I dumped, though, just not very good. Decanted an hour, still not enjoyable. Made my "Monday night spaghetti" tonight and was needing an Italian wine. Boy did I get hosed. Followed it up with my 6-2015 Syrah from WGDirect. Needs another year but very promising. ImageUploadedByWine Making1461893204.457294.jpg

I cracked a bottle of my CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. My 7th wine ever, it is now 27 mos. old, and is a decent-to-good wine. Not as bold/intense/flavorous as the Stag's Leap Merlot I was raving about yesterday, but a solid offering. Happy to have it as a daily red.

I cracked a bottle of my CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah. My 7th wine ever, it is now 27 mos. old, and is a decent-to-good wine. Not as bold/intense/flavorous as the Stag's Leap Merlot I was raving about yesterday, but a solid offering. Happy to have it as a daily red.

I'm disappointed with mine. I snatched one up as they were being discontinued after reading a lot of great reviews. To me, it's thin, and acidic. Like you said, a decent wine, but definitely not one of my best.

Latest posts

Back