What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened another bottle of RJS LR Sémillon-Sauvignon Blanc. About 6 months old now. Paired with a rotisserie chicken and scalloped potatoes and greens. Wow, is this stuff beyond expectations! Crisp, clean, harmoniuos wine with flavours of fresh lemon, gooseberries and tropical fruit. Amazing wine to say the least.

Just recently I was hoping to find this kit as a left over from a vendor but unsuccessful... :(

SWMBO is not much of a beer drinker, however she has taken a liking to them.
She drank to rest of the 4 pack.
I like that she found something she likes. I dont like that they are $9.99 a 4 pack!
Sounds like it is time to introduce some bugs into your lineup.

I really want to try Tart of Darkness, but it is crazy expensive. I could make a whole kit for the cost of 2 bombers, but it would be a long wait.

FVW's has this years LR Oregon Pinot Gris and LR Spanish Vino Blanco on closeout. I snagged both of those at full price…. At the closeout price they are a steal of a deal!

Just recently I was hoping to find this kit as a left over from a vendor but unsuccessful... :(

FVW's has this years LR Oregon Pinot Gris and LR Spanish Vino Blanco on closeout. I snagged both of those at full price…. At the closeout price they are a steal of a deal!

I like the off dry flavor of Chenin Blanc but let me check what's in the Spanish Vino Blanco....

Don't recall ever tasting the Pinot Gris.

Last edited:
No that was from 2013. I didn't get around to pitching the yeast until ~Xmas time. Juice was almost 12 mo old but stored in a cool closet ~ 65 degrees year round.

And that was a 16L kit compared to the Passport Pinot Gris which is 18L.

Just bought a Pinot Gris bottle for $13 and really nice body, not as light as the Pinot Grigio.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1433281668.461092.jpg

Just checking to see if you realized but Pinot Grigio and Pinot Gris are the same grape. Its like Syrah and Shiraz. Both are the same wines but just made in different styles.

And that was a 16L kit compared to the Passport Pinot Gris which is 18L.

Just bought a Pinot Gris bottle for $13 and really nice body, not as light as the Pinot Grigio.
View attachment 22685

I bought a Pinot Grigio at costco the other day and it had such a light body that I said I would not buy or make the wine at all. This Pinot Gris is 180 degree, nice all around.

Pinot Grigio is usually used for wines made in an old world "Italian style". Pinot Gris is usually (these days at least) is a "new world" style and made from grapes from the West coast.

2013 Crane Lake Petite Sirah, "C" is for cheap and that is good enough for me (sung to the Cookie Monsters favorite tune C is for cookie and that's good enough for me). Also degassing a VR Diablo Rojo and Chilean Pinot Grigio while finishing the bottle. "C" stands for completely empty too.

I bought a Pinot Grigio at costco the other day and it had such a light body that I said I would not buy or make the wine at all. This Pinot Gris is 180 degree, nice all around.

Pinot Grigio is usually used for wines made in an old world "Italian style". Pinot Gris is usually (these days at least) is a "new world" style and made from grapes from the West coast.

I agree with BOTH of you, believe it or not. I believe everything Mike has said is correct, but I would quibble and additionally say that Pinot Gris is ALSO an "old world" style made in France. Pinot Gris is much fatter than Pinot Grigio. Like Varis, I prefer that to Pinot Grigio (well, depending on what I am eating!).

From the repository of all knowledge:

Wines made from the Pinot gris vary greatly and are dependent on the region and wine making style they are from. Alsatian Pinot gris are medium to full bodied wines with a rich, somewhat floral bouquet. They tend to be spicy in comparisons with other Pinot gris. While most Pinot gris are meant to be consumed early, Alsatian Pinot gris can age well.[28] German Pinot gris are more full-bodied with a balance of acidity and slight sweetness. In Oregon the wines are medium bodied with a yellow to copper-pink color and aromas of pear, apple, and/or melon. In California, the Pinot gris are more light bodied with a crisp, refreshing taste with some pepper and arugula notes. The Pinot grigio style of Italy is a light-bodied, often lean wine that is light in color with sometimes spritzy flavors that can be crisp and acidic.[29]

LOL I tried to cover the bases, and you are right the term Pinot Gris comes from "old world" France. But these days it's the "new world" left coast really trying to redefine the style and bring it up to new world taste. IMHO. :)

LOL I tried to cover the bases, and you are right the term Pinot Gris comes from "old world" France. But these days it's the "new world" left coast really trying to redefine the style and bring it up to new world taste. IMHO. :)

Hey, Mike, serious question: Looking at your own personal crystal ball, do you think there is any chance that a fat-style, Left Coast Pinot Gris could become the next "oaked, buttery Chard"? That is, could the white-wine pendulum swing back enough to create a big demand for these fat wines?

Personally, I like both fat whites AND crisp whites. I have just never been a fan of Pinot Grigio (Italian style) in particular. If I want something in that part of the ballpark, I'd sooner reach for a Sauv Blanc or an unoaked Chard.

I think taste are always changing, you know what goes around comes around, hang on to that fat tie as well as the skinny one…..

I love to pair a wine with food more than anything that is my compass. If your making a Kit PG then you are in control of that wines destiny. Ferment to dry or add the f-pack if it has one, or just half the f-pack. Use the supplied oak or skip it. Yeast swap? Why yes, yes I will thank you. Anyone for Battonage on a PG/ Hmmmmmm….

Considering the day I am having, this thread should not be "What's in your glass tonight" rather "How much is in your glass tonight".

Been a rough one today.

Can someone please tell me what it is like to be retired?????

Latest posts

Back