What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a huge meh for me. The Promise that did not deliver! I don't know what the heck was in that bottle but it sure didn't taste anything like Pinot to me. Was the 2018 though.

I don't disagree. Not a bad wine, especially for the price point. But rather forgettable. It does taste like Pinot, but I was expecting a little more from the PNW.

I don't disagree. Not a bad wine, especially for the price point. But rather forgettable. It does taste like Pinot, but I was expecting a little more from the PNW.
I was really intrigued by the project as it was Charles Smith and he is known to swing for the fences and can make really good wines on both the top tier and lower tier. This was a first that I am aware of someone trying to grow Pinot Noir in WA State. He planted a huge vineyard of PN. The vines are young so maybe as they get older and he learns to work with Pinot it will get better.

Nice video here about the project:

https://houseofsmith.com/brands/golden-west-wines/

Raspberry Sour Cherry Melomel 2019

49 lbs frozen raspberries (late harvest)
21 lbs frozen pitted sour cherries
12 Imperial gallons of water
unpasteurized cranberry blossom honey to SG 1.090
yeast nutrient
pectic enzyme
bayanus EC1118 yeast

good colour, nice fruit and honey fragrance, no oxidation, well balanced, good flavour and aftertaste. The raspberries are dominant but you can taste the sour cherries. This is a good melomel recipe. I've always had good luck with cranberry blossom honey. This will age and I probably have 6+ left. It dropped a bit of sediment on the side of the bottles which settles easily. Don't know if it is protein, ellagic acid or both. Anyway it is easy to decant and a good recipe if you have sour cherries. Sour cherry melomel would probably be good too. I use early harvest raspberries for juice plus fresh eating in vegan coconut yoghurt or granola with cashew milk and mid to late harvest raspberries for wine. Now we use most of our sour cherries to make juice or fruit custard.

Attachments

• 20230627_161343.jpg
    20230627_161343.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
And?? Did we like it?
lol ... yes. It was a little oaky, with hints of spice and maybe a little earthy. Not really full bodied but a good place for me to start on my dry reds. I've got two Pinot Noir's in bulk right now and hope they come out close to 19 Crimes. Hope you're doing ok Dave.

Raspberry Melomel Cyser 2020

46 lb frozen raspberries
23 lb sugar
7.5 Imperial gallons of water
pectic enzyme
SG 1.086
blended with organic fresh ground and pressed Russet, King, Cox apples with unpasteurized blueberry blossom honey fermented separately and then blended as a rose about 50/50 raspberry/apple cyser.

dry, good colour, nice fruit and honey fragrance, no oxidation, well balanced with slightly high tannin and acid from the russet skins and raspberries, good flavour and aftertaste. The russets are dominant but you can taste the raspberries. If you have lots of apples or apple juice this is an interesting way to create a different fruit table wine from raspberries. If I did it again I'd use more raspberries since the russets dominate the flavour. It has a complex flavour from the russets and should age.

Attachments

• 20230627_180305.jpg
    20230627_180305.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Saw this at Costco and grabbed a bottle, $8.67 plus tax.

Maybe I will give it a taste for tomorrow, never tried this blend before.

Syrah 40%
Grenache 40%
Mourvèdre 20%

View attachment 102950
I predict you will not be disappointed in that, my wife and I have had it several times. It certainly DNS.

Raf 20230704.jpg

Needed a treat since it's been a crappy July 4th... bear destroyed my cherry tree, something else ate all my lettuces and when I opened my drinks cabinet to make my DW a cocktail I found that a tonic water bottle had exploded. (Not one of my crazy sparkling wine experiments I hasten to add - just a normal 10oz Schweppes tonic water :mad: )

A. Rafanelli has long been a favorite for muscular reds, I buy some of their cab and zin every year. 2016 does not disappoint 👍

Latest posts

Back