What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of two fisted drinkers, but double bottle drinkers?

FYI, how was that 2014 vintage, still holding up well?
From two different nights!

Yea the 2014 was still amazing. Been stored at 58F in the cellar since receiving it from the winery back in ~2016 I think. Had some sediment as to e expected with that age but other than that really nice.

From two different nights!

Yea the 2014 was still amazing. Been stored at 58F in the cellar since receiving it from the winery back in ~2016 I think. Had some sediment as to e expected with that age but other than that really nice.
You could tell by the cork it held up well...

Edit: Now you did it Mike. Made me go back and explore the wine "sanctuary". Found a bottle of a 2015 blend of Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec. Base was a Merlot juice bucket with a lug of the three to round it out. Was my 10th batch of wine and the first I used whole crushed grapes in, will take it to the cabin and see if it is still drinkable.

If it isn't, it has been nice to know ya'll.

Last edited:
Started digging around and found plenty of 2015, 2016 and 2017 vintages I made to take and sample on vacation. This one is a Pinot Noir from a Chilean juice bucket and a couple of lugs o' grapes. Pretty much the way I remembered it, the results of 18 months with a couple of French med+ winestix is still evident, though the oak is not at all overpowering. There is still a freshness to this wine, probably from the higher acidity, the finishing pH was 3.40 after MLF. The booster rouge I added supposedly accentuates the tannins and the perceived volume in the mouthfeel.

Anyway it was Yum!

6-10-23_pinot-noir.jpg

Wow, I need to read my notes on this one (at home). Has a Merlot label, but I believe there is 13% Cab Sauv and 13% Malbec in this blend. Drier than dry, oak still evident (way more than I remembered). I believe this was made in 2016, can't remember. I believe it is Chilean grapes and juice buckets, but could be from California. I believe it was my first MLB I ever attempted (that I am pretty sure about). This tastes great but has flavors I can't quite place. Almost as if the individual grapes are expressing themselves, albeit still playing well together, but shouting "hey, look over here" like a kid would to try and get the most attention.

6-15-23_hermitage.jpg

Blend in a glass

#1 Syrah Moraine 2022

resurrection of a "burnt rubber" Sheridan Syrah with my own Regent and Marechal Foch which I over-deacidified which made the blend flat (too low in acid). As a cooking wine it is fine e.g. I used it in a Chorizo-Pork tenderloin freezer chili which turned out fine (cilantro, cremini mushrooms, onions, dry chorizo, diced pork tenderloin, unsalted chicken broth, tamari, worcestershire, smoked paprika, cumin, hot chili powder, black beans, mixed beans, kidney beans, shelled edemame, fire roasted diced and crushed tomatoes and about 1/2 bottle of this wine.

#2 Cyser Pyment

this is high tannin white wine from the russet apple juice pressed from from apples picked in a drought.

The Russet skin tannin fixes the low acid of the flat Syrah Moraine

50/50 blend is okay, not great but totally drinkable. It would probably make a better cooking wine than the Syrah Moraine on its own.

We have one Syrah carboy left to resurrect. This year I won't deacidify either the Regent or Marechal Foch after they go through malolactic fermentation and cold stabilization to see how they age.

Latest posts

Back