What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a 50/50 blend of 2 raspberry melomels - 2019 Raspberry Sour Cherry Melomel and 2020 Raspberry Cyser Melomel

The raspberry sour cherry melomel was non-tannic on opening fruity with a slight sediment (e.g. ellagic acid from the fruit) made from:

12 lbs pitted homegrown organic frozen sour cherries
20 lbs frozen homegrown organic raspberries (3 varieties including Mettler)
unpasteurized cranberry blossom honey to SG 1.090 with 1 Imperial gallon of water for each 6 lbs of fruit. Plus nutrient and pectic enzyme. Lalvin Bayanus yeast finished at SG 1.012 with honey and sorbate.

The Raspberry Cyser Melomel was tannic on opening but softened a day later (oxidation of Russet apple tannin) and was made from:

raspberry wine - 6 lbs raspberries per Imperial gallon of water and 3 lbs cane sugar
cyser - pure russet juice with a bit of King and Cox apple with unpasteurized blueberry blossom honey

60% raspberry and 40% cyser. The russet apple tannin is dominant on day 1.

On day 2 everything is in balance on a 50/50 blend of these 2 wines. This mix is very aromatic and I'll drink these 2 wines this way again to drop the russet tannin.

This year I made Raspberry Chambord which I'll tell you about later.

Attachments

• 20221212_144027[1].jpg
    20221212_144027[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I decided to taste my 2022 Raspberry Chambord from a cooler carboy.

which is 25 bottles of raspberry wine from 6 lbs of raspberries per 1 Imperial gallon of water and 3 lbs cane sugar to SG 1.004 with 1 bottle of Chambord (French Black Raspberry liqueur). This finished fermentation at SG 0.992 on September 21. I've never made this before. Here are my comments:

Nice deep colour.

Very clear.

Rich interesting complex smell.

A bit tangy at SG 1.004 but flavour is really good so I think that I will leave it alone at the lowest residual sugar that I've ever used on a raspberry wine.

I think that I'll make the next one (same recipe) as a Raspberry Chambord Port. Chambord liqueur has wonderful properties.

I think that I'll bottle this around easter so I can take some to my sister in August who loves my fruit wines especially raspberry and blackberry wines.

This recipe is definitely a keeper IMHO. I think I'll make it both ways as a table wine and as a port.

Dextrose was used to raise SG from 0.992 to 1.004 since cane sugar leaves an aftertaste unlike dextrose.

Attachments

• 20221212_151541[1].jpg
    20221212_151541[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Finally here is 2022 Tripleberry Cassis which is a port made as follows:

6 lbs frozen organic raspberries, 3 lbs cane sugar, 1 Imperial gallon of water
6 lbs frozen wild dead ripe blackberries, 3 lbs cane sugar, 1 Imperial gallon of water
1/2 lb dried elderberries, pectic enzyme and nutrient containing B vitamins
fermented with Lalvin Bayanus yeast fed with dextrose at ~15% alcohol to get to ~18% alcohol
medium toast American oak cubes 6 per Imperial gallon for 120 days
2 bottles of French Cassis (blackcurrant liqueur)

I tasted this out of my cooler:

Here are my comments:

Deep dark wine

Very fragrant. Good nose. The elderberries give a nice smokiness.

Flavour is fine but I like more acid. I'll probably add citric in increments of 1/2 tsp per carboy until I get the sweetness/acid balance I like.

This wine has a good aftertaste. With the right amount of acid it could be really good.

Attachments

• 20221212_155556[1].jpg
    20221212_155556[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Now, that's a celebratory bottle of wine.

I was thinking going home to finish a bottle of last nights wine to celebrate retiring? 😲

Now, we are on the same page! :db

Just two drunks tryin ta find the next buzz? 🤣

Back