What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an excellent list of whats good and whats not so good as far as the Kirkland wines at Costco.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/f...ign=Eats-drinks-12-15-22_12_15_2022&utm_term=

So did you agree, disagree, some of both with their list. I mostly agreed, although my wife and I both like the 2020 Kirkland Signature Napa Valley Red Blend much more than they do. and I wish I could find the 2017 Kirkland Signature Brunello di Montalcino at our Costco. They have most of the others and we have tried many of them. That Malbec we drink way to often.

So did you agree, disagree, some of both with their list. I mostly agreed, although my wife and I both like the 2020 Kirkland Signature Napa Valley Red Blend much more than they do. and I wish I could find the 2017 Kirkland Signature Brunello di Montalcino at our Costco. They have most of the others and we have tried many of them. That Malbec we drink way to often.
Wow, I thought the same thing about the Napa blend! Nice and nothing not to really ike about it for the price point. II think I purchased it based off a good review from the Costo wine blog in fact.

I have had previous versions of most everything they have produced from the Columbia Valley and thought they were all very good QPR wines as well. I just passed up the Gigonda's last week and now i wish I would have snagged a bottle.

This my homegrown 2022 Carol's Muscat

Carol is my wife and the wine is a blend of Siegerrebe and Madeline Angevine

This is 60% un-chaptalized Siegerrebe (a pink muscat) at SG 1.084 in a dry cold drought and 40% Madeline Angevine (a non-muscat) at SG 1.075 chaptalized to SG 1.085 with cane sugar and fermented with Lalvin 71B yeast. The colour comes from the Siegerrebe grape skins and not from oxidation. If you live in the Pacific Northwest e.g. Puget Sound, Vancouver Island or the Fraser Valley (where I do then these are 2 grape varieties that you should grow. Madeleine Angevine dead ripe smells like nutmeg. Siegerrebe dead ripe smells like Gewurtraminer e.g. lychees.

Here are my comments on this wine:

very fragrant i.e. I'll use 71B yeast again which I used for the first time based on this site's recommendations.

acid level is perfect for a young wine and should drop as it ages as acid and alcohol react to form esters.

flavour is fine - I get lychees and nutmeg in the aftertaste.

This wine is tailor made for Chinese food containing ginger or seafood linguine containing prawns or scallops with mushrooms and garlic with onions or leek, yellow/orange/red peppers, celery or broccoli, lemon thyme, base, purple sage and oregano with roma tomatoes and parmesan, asiago, or romano cheese

I have 2 bottles that I can taste on or before Easter and I think that I will leave it alone until August 2023 at the lastest so I can adjust its sulphite level and give it time for any protein to drop that the bentonite treatment that I used missed. My gut says that if I leave it alone in my wine cooler until August 2023 I could get a really good white wine. So that is what I will do.

Finally, I have to say that this web site is a blessing and just learning about 71B yeast for whites was worth becoming a member.
An update on this wine on December 16 re-blended in the glass with really high acid but otherwise classic tasty and fragrant California Chenin juice into wine. The re-blend is about 80% Carol's Muscat 2022 and 20% Chenin Blanc 2021.

Here are my comments on this new young blend (see photo below):

Colour is perfect i.e. no oxidation free sulphite is about 25 ppm which is perfect for this amount of acid in a white wine.

Smell - rich, complex, Chenin Blanc straw and honeydew melon, a bit of nutmeg from the Madeleine Angevine, lychees from the Siegerrebe. The Chenin Blanc dominates which is okay by me at this acid level.

Acid - like dry French Loire Valley Vouvray. This blend should age for eons. I think that I will make this for myself and let my wife drink whites that are more to her taste that are in our cellar.

Flavour - long aftertaste. This is really good and based on my experience with white wines dropping protein during the summer as a haze even in a cooler, I think that I will leave this alone until August 2023 and then bottle it ~15 bottles as Pacific Muscat 2021-2022.

This should age like gangbusters due to the high acid. I'll recheck the sulphite at bottling and adjust to ~25 ppm free and then leave it alone. It may be a killer in 5-7 years if handled properly which I will absolutely do. I have enough unbottled Chenin Blanc 2021 in carboys and bottles that I will consider re-blending with 2023 homegrown Siegerrebe and/or Madeleine Angevine to make this again to maximize the value of the Chenin Blanc.

The wines were all bentonited 3 days into a vigourous primary fermentation and from the photo you can see how well bentonite works when used this way.

Flavour - this is my palate but not wife's who doesn't like this much acid.

Attachments

• 20221216_162425[1].jpg
    20221216_162425[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Cooking Wine - Black Iris Moraine Pyment 2019

I cooked freezer boeuf bourginon to make stroganoff anytime from:

sirloin roast on sale at a great price, defatted, cut into about 6lbs cubes, dipped in flour and seared in olive oil
2lbs chopped portabella mushrooms sauteed in butter
4 minced organic onions and 6 garlic cloves sauteed in the drained mushroom butter
fresh homegrown organic sage, lemon thyme, oregano
tamari sauce
Worchester sauce
1 Campbells salt free beef stock on sale at a great price
1/2 bottle of the cooking wine
simmered for 3 hours to get rid of water and alcohol

Cooking wine made from pitted frozen wild black cherries from my neighbour Iris, frozen wild blackberries, dried elderberries, homegrown organic Regent and Marechal Foch grapes plus unpasteurized cranberry blossom honey

This is complex low tannin fragrant and slightly herbal like a Mourvedre with a bit of honey.

This is totally drinkable and will be used again in the same recipe, spaghetti sauce or chili. Classic cooking wine.

The bourginon turned out fine and tastes like it will make really good beef stroganoff with sour cream, peas and noodles.

Attachments

• 20221217_135656[1].jpg
    20221217_135656[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Everything melted, the storm was basically lots of rain and only clipped northern part of CT. I think you guys got hammered up in NH?
I'm in the south not far from the coast (Barrington) and we got a 6" mix of heavy wet slop. But up north they got well over a foot. My son was over near Stratton Mtn. in Vermont, skiing, and they got hit with 2 feet of the stuff!

Drinking lot's of leftover beer, some Sierra Nevada pale ale, some Goose Island IPA, some weird Vodoo stuff, and some Labatts blue. All not drunk by my now 24 yr old son who I just had to drop off at BWI this morning. Tough duty, but he did get to be home for 27 days, his longest stay since he enlisted in the AF. Currently over Illinois on his way back to North Pole Alaska. He'll arrive hopefully at 1 am tomorrow morning, AK time (5 a.m. EST). Long day for sure.

Best Christmas present my wife and I could have, all four kids under the same roof for almost a month!

Drinking lot's of leftover beer, some Sierra Nevada pale ale, some Goose Island IPA, some weird Vodoo stuff, and some Labatts blue. All not drunk by my now 24 yr old son who I just had to drop off at BWI this morning. Tough duty, but he did get to be home for 27 days, his longest stay since he enlisted in the AF. Currently over Illinois on his way back to North Pole Alaska. He'll arrive hopefully at 1 am tomorrow morning, AK time (5 a.m. EST). Long day for sure.

Best Christmas present my wife and I could have, all four kids under the same roof for almost a month!
I like that Goose Island IPA. Never had it until a couple of year ago.

Latest posts

Back