What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up a few bottles of that on Sat. Wife let me go to Costco all by myself, with a list with four items on it. I walked out with 19 items and none of the ones on the list. She probably won't ever let me go alone again.

Tonight, we’re working on a 2014 Outpost Cab. Parker says “the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon (100% Cabernet Sauvignon aged 20 months in 80% new French oak) shows not a trace of oak and has wonderfully sweet blueberry and blackberry fruit in the nose, along with some licorice, incense, and charcoal embers. The color is opaque to the rim, and the wine full-bodied, with the blue fruits dominating on the palate. It has a finish of a good 40-45 seconds. Tannins are moderate, but very sweet and well-integrated. It should drink well for 20 years or more.”
Much more eloquent than me, I find to be really big, a tad astringent, but agree with the beautiful finish. A winner for sure.
A136894B-EA23-4565-A4AD-F3E77CE1A247.jpeg

Sent off a Millennial IT coworker to a job making double what he made at the university, so earlier tonight it was about the beer: Innis & Gunn Kindred Spirits and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel. I could not wait to get home and try this out of my cellar, though. Oh yes, very, very good. Nice bouquet, smooth but has enough edge to be a serious contender. Ahhhh, one down and five to go! Life is sometimes too good to me...

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

90 points for $6. I have bought several similar wines from Costco, at that price, it almost isn't worth me making wine. They haven't all been great, but enough have been good enough that I'll keep taking a chance on them.

Costco has wines so cheap that I say the same, maybe I won't make any more wine.

Costco is a great place to buy wine. They get interesting wines in all the time, some good and some not so good. The "Costco WIne Blog" is helpful reading. You have to ignore the "91 points" printed on the label, and go by what you like. But they have had some real winners in the <$10 range, particularly from Spain. We actually should start a thread on great wines from Costco.

My recent favorites:
-Mas Donis from Spain. GREAT wine for $7.99. I bought a case, and it's already gone. If your Costco still has it, IMHO it's really, really good. I should have bought more.
-Kirkland Champagne from France. Obviously made by a big name but Kirkland Label. Excellent. (Not inexpensive but great Champagne in my opinion)
-Nirea from Spain. $7.99 Monstrell (Mourvedre blend) excellent, will benefit from another year or two of age but great now.
-Guru also from Spain. Monstrell blend with Cabernet. Pricey initially, recently about $11. Another winner from Spain.

I like the challenge of finding great wine at a reasonable price. It's easy to find great wine at a premium price, so what fun is that?

I did not like the highly touted Kirkland Rioja Reserve they had recently at 90 points but that's just me.

Anyway, I like wine shopping at Costco, and I read they have become the biggest seller of wine in the USA.

Costco bought for $5.99

View attachment 54860

[/QUOTE]

So I was at Costco today and found that exact $5.99 wine. I'm trying it tonight and the "Red Blend from Portugal" is very good. Not saying it's great but for $5.99 it's better than most and a great daily drinking wine. For the price, it's killer. I had it with homemade spaghetti sauce and Italian sausage and the pairing was great.

I got a new wine at Costco from Spain today ("Tarima Hill"), and it's another Monstrell blend, for $11.99. I'll post up when I try it in a few days, but I have great expectations. It's on the high end of Spanish wines recently, but I'm still looking forward to it. It's another "Old Vines" wine which in Spain actually means something. It's dry farmed, hand harvested and head trained. Old school stuff that I think actually means something.

On a sad note, they seemed to be out of the Kirkland Champagne Brute from France, I really enjoyed that one. Hopefully next year it comes back.

So I was at Costco today and found that exact $5.99 wine. I'm trying it tonight and the "Red Blend from Portugal" is very good. Not saying it's great but for $5.99 it's better than most and a great daily drinking wine. For the price, it's killer. I had it with homemade spaghetti sauce and Italian sausage and the pairing was great.

I got a new wine at Costco from Spain today ("Tarima Hill"), and it's another Monstrell blend, for $11.99. I'll post up when I try it in a few days, but I have great expectations. It's on the high end of Spanish wines recently, but I'm still looking forward to it. It's another "Old Vines" wine which in Spain actually means something. It's dry farmed, hand harvested and head trained. Old school stuff that I think actually means something.

On a sad note, they seemed to be out of the Kirkland Champagne Brute from France, I really enjoyed that one. Hopefully next year it comes back.

I get the Tarima Hill at my local Wegmans for a buck more. It's is a really good value. Hope you enjoy it.

Went to a Summer BBQ last night and the host pulled out a couple bottles of this they picked up from Costco as well. Went well with grilled beef Fajita's and the usual accoutrements. Not overly interesting or memorable but certainly quaffable.

img_0367-jpg.54860

Last edited:
....it almost isn't worth me making wine.

I beard that! Time constraints have kept me from making even a fiver of wine for TWO YEARS now, let alone my normal 15-20 gallon batches. It's just too easy for me to point, click, and wait for the truck. I've been so busy I haven't even been able to do any beer, which is easier cuz all the work is upfront. Oh woe is me! Just thinking about it makes me want to ... well ... drink! :D

I beard that! Time constraints have kept me from making even a fiver of wine for TWO YEARS now, let alone my normal 15-20 gallon batches. It's just too easy for me to point, click, and wait for the truck. I've been so busy I haven't even been able to do any beer, which is easier cuz all the work is upfront. Oh woe is me! Just thinking about it makes me want to ... well ... drink! :D

Well, it must be 5 oclock somewhere, so I'll drink to that, whether I made it or someone else did.

Latest posts

Back