What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last nights pairing with the steak. Amazing Pinot from California no less!

tumblr_nsrqsi6Qk01uqyygto1_1280.jpg

Been warm afternoons the last couple days. Monsoons have shutdown as of late. Took the Golden's for their afternoon walk while we had a bit of cloud cover. Came back and said its 5:00 somewhere and Beer-thirty here! This just came out a few weeks ago. I am kinda tired of drinking pine cone flavored beer (IPA) So want something nice and light and easy to drink. Lots of citrus notes and a little coriander. Easy Summer beer. 5.2%ABV

IMG_2542.jpg

Strawberry rhubarb wine straight out of the garden and a couple taste tests from the carboys, LE16 grenache cab and a LE16 Cabernet franc

Dark Horse Rose tonight. Surprisingly good, though lacking on the finish. Excellent nose, but could use some acid and/or minerality. Pretty nice for a cheap wine though.

I programmed a small feature into my "winecellartracker" spreadsheet. This spreadsheet normally just tells me which bottle is next in my drinking schedule. However, I have two Malbec kits I have been meaning to compare. So, whenever one of them comes to the top of the drinking list, I have the other one light up, too, with a comment of "Try a side-by-side Malbec tasting." Tonight, I finally did.

The contenders are a WE Selection International Argentine Malbec (now 44 mos.) vs. a CC Showcase Argentinian Malbec (now 34 mos.). My wife and I arranged a blind tasting. The results were definitive. The CC Showcase kicked ass. It wasn't even close. It wasn't a contest -- it was the 2010 DeSean Jackson punt return against the Giants, strolling backwards into the endzone while taunting the opposition. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vSFJsn3O0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1vSFJsn3O0[/ame]

To be fair, the WE Malbec wasn't bad, but this is the wine I have always described as "meh." The CC, on the other hand, is lovely.

DSCN0649 (1).jpg

Opened a bottle of my first kit wine, a WE SE Original California Viognier. Just passed 29 months in age. Very smooth (to the point where my wife who doesn't care for commercial Viognier really enjoyed a glass and commented on how much she liked it). The nose and the flavor are still there, I figured it would have started backing off by now. Still have 10 bottles left, which surprises me. I can sometimes show restraint. I'm learning!

One of my 2015 blends. Excellent and just what I need after a rough evening. Plumbing issues...

I am hoping to make Syrah from Washington State grapes later this fall, so I decided the time was ripe to start sampling commercial examples of same. Going simple tonight: Charles Smith's Booon-Boom Syrah. Especially after being open for a bit, this is a very smooth and approachable (if somewhat simple) wine. Very pleasant indeed!

Find a bottle of the Pundit!

I am hoping to make Syrah from Washington State grapes later this fall, so I decided the time was ripe to start sampling commercial examples of same. Going simple tonight: Charles Smith's Booon-Boom Syrah. Especially after being open for a bit, this is a very smooth and approachable (if somewhat simple) wine. Very pleasant indeed!

Back