What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2014 Crowdsource Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark ink in color, with scents of black cherry, plum, and licorice. Powerful flavors of a tart plum, fig, potting soil, and tobacco. Fully bodied though not as full as some and semi-smooth which I expect will improve with a little more time.

IMG_20160728_190538.jpg

2014 Crowdsource Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark ink in color, with scents of black cherry, plum, and licorice. Powerful flavors of a tart plum, fig, potting soil, and tobacco. Fully bodied though not as full as some and semi-smooth which I expect will improve with a little more time.

IMG_20160728_190538.jpg

Wait, is this your 2nd opened bottle already?

Wait, is this your 2nd opened bottle already?

Nope, my first. I still have two other bottles that I intend on aging. You may be thinking of the Columbia Crest Reserve I opened recently.

That said, I after about two hours of letting it breath. This wine improved a lot. Both acid and flavor wise. The flavor profile changed quite a bit. That tells me this wine likely can improve a lot with more time in the bottle.

Last edited:
Do you like it, or are you drinking it to get rid of it?

Yes. :)

Actually, its pretty decent. Aside from Dragon Blood, it was my first attempt at anything that wasn't a kit. I think I did OK, for only having been a winemaker for a year at that point.

It's got amazing legs, and pretty good mouthfeel. There's just a touch more acid than I'd like and maybe just a hint of green pepper. But I like it and it is playing very well with tonight's dinner.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1469844184.720312.jpgdidn't quite pair with the "chipotle" knock off, nor did the sour cream come across very appealing. Great wine though. 93 WS pts tobacco stewed blackberries, dry and medium oak. Very nice.

Terra Blanca 2012 cab franc. COLUMBIA Valley. Terra Blanca is variable between good and amazing. This one is good, lots of spice and fruit. Fairly light, but at the price I paid, a great deal for a 2012 Washington wine.

Cheers to Friday!

Well well, just bottled my Amarone (now called Amarosso).
Made from a MM juice bucket, started October 2014.

I'm not really sure what an Amarone should taste like but I think this one tastes good to me at almost 3 years.

Local traders welcome [emoji3][emoji3]

ImageUploadedByWine Making1469901019.412517.jpg

Sangria!

It is 105 degrees here so tonight it will be Sangria! I blended 2 liters of Carlo Rossi Paisano red wine with my finished Merlot Ho Ho kit wine. (No classiness or elegance here. :)) This base is surprisingly tasty, not overly sweet, and I definitely plan to make this blend again if a similar Island Mist is offered this year. :h

Dave your perfectly fine! I had just seen you post TA values in several threads with the decimal point off. I wanted to assist you there as TA can be expressed in several ways.

The TA is a measure of the actual physical grams of acid in one liter of your wine and is expressed as “_ g/L of acid”, or in tenths of a percent of acidity as in “0.1% total acidity”. Both terms are equivalent and can be used interchangeably by moving the decimal point; e.g: 6.5 g/L = 0.65% TA.

Thanks Mike, of all the information there is in winemaking, understanding this and its relationship/balance to pH and other things has confused me the most.

I just wish I could figure out why some wines are so out a whack. Maybe it happens during shipment.

2010 Quilceda Creek CVR aka "the cheap stuff" that didn't make it into the flagship wine. What can I say, did not suck in the least......

IMG_1338.jpg

Well well, just bottled my Amarone (now called Amarosso).
Made from a MM juice bucket, started October 2014.

I'm not really sure what an Amarone should taste like but I think this one tastes good to me at almost 3 years.

Local traders welcome [emoji3][emoji3]

View attachment 30499

My WineExpert Amarone kit just arrived. I tried my first Amarone a little while back and immediately ordered the kit because it was so good.

I tried my secone Amarone over the weekend. Not near as good as the first, but it still wasn't bad.

I have no wine ready except my DB which I'm already down to only two bottles left hah. :)

Love the label btw! Very nice!

I am not speaking about INTRINSIC in my comment below

I have been coming across quite a few of these wines that are strangely off balance. One (a red) had a pH of 3.3 and a TA Under 0.20%. What would you do with this one??

I actually told my wife I had to think of a new description for this one. It is "Palate Pucker". My palate was out of whack for nearly 24 hours.

UPDATE TO THIS POST

OMG! Mike I figured out why I messed up on my percentage of the TA on this wine. I was using a Titration kit that had 0.1 NaOH and the way the instructions read is, the cc/ml used to reach color change is to be multiplied by .25 So if 2.4ml was used then 2.4 x .25 =0.6 which would be 0.60% TA.

But it took 7.8ml on this wine... 7.8ml x .25 = 1.95 Never having bought a commercial wine so out of balance before, plus the fact I was trying to learn the method/formula you use where 6.5 g/l = 0.65% . Getting confused I thought by the 1.95 being lower than 6.5 g/l it should be under 0.20% When actually it was 1.95%. :(

Back