whats in my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo

Junior
Reaction score
When i bottle my wine its clear and clean. but after about two to three months bottle i see flakes in it. what is causing this? i do add 1/4 teaspoon to every 6 gallon batch of Potassium Metabisulfite.

thanks in advance for any input!!

Sounds like crystals, this is common in a wine that is high in acid. Did you do an acid test?

if they look like crystals in bottom of wine bottle then it is tartaric acid drop out. if flakes are floating in the wine it is most likely protein.In either case the wine should be old stabilized before bottling place it in a cold environment the colder down to 32deg f the less time but it will also work at 55 deg. protein and crustal will fall out and wine can then be racked and bottled.

if they look like crystals in bottom of wine bottle then it is tartaric acid drop out. if flakes are floating in the wine it is most likely protein.In either case the wine should be old stabilized before bottling place it in a cold environment the colder down to 32deg f the less time but it will also work at 55 deg. protein and crustal will fall out and wine can then be racked and bottled.

Thank you i will give that a shot!

Back