What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the day off very responsibly... But that soon ended.

Breakfast was bacon, eggs, and toast, with local fresh fruit.
View attachment 110168

Lunch was a hard choice. Something new, or back to the menu that had me stuck for choice yesterday. The lobster mac and cheese was just screaming at me, and so were the burgers along with a number of other choices on the menu. It was one of those menu's that you know you will be have to be back. So.. back we went, and this time restraint was not on my mind.

I ordered a Doyle's delight. Vodka, triple sec, and pineapple juice. Very refreshing.

The mac and cheese showed up with just enough time to snap a picture before my burger was dropped in front of me. I knew I had made a mistake right away. I thought, I can take the mac and cheese home, but I have to taste it. There wasn't a morsel left, it was unbelievably good. So much so that I was declaring a new goal to make the ultimate mac and cheese to serve for dinner guests in between bites. I had to skip most of my fries, but I got the burger down in spite of its size. The pictures don't do it justice. It is 4 inches tall.

I felt like I had run a marathon. People should have been cheering and crowding around to witness my victory, but I was the only one that proud of me. 😄

I did discover my new favorite thing though. If no one else, I feel @BigDaveK will appreciate the discovery. Margarita El Fuego. Tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, cilantro, and..... Jalapeno! The margarita of fire! It was just enough heat to make you say wow, that is delicious. Any more and I think it would have ruined it, but it was good enough to order a second.

They are not shy with the spirits either. I was glad I was driving a golf cart. I have spent many a day on the golf course practicing for just this moment! 😂

View attachment 110165
View attachment 110166View attachment 110171View attachment 110169View attachment 110170
What's up with the eggs on the plate still in the shell?

Last edited:
I am making my recipe of "Pork piccata" and will serve it with fresh (i.e. not dry) spaghetti topped with EVOO, butter, pepper flakes, minced garlic and Parmesan . The dish can also be made with Veal or Chicken and is an easy recipe:

2 medium shallots, diced
1 medium red onion, sliced
2 T. capers
1 T. sliced garlic
3 T. Olive oil (EV not needed)
1 C. Chicken stock or broth
8 oz. mushrooms, destemmed and sliced
Juice of one large lemon
2 T. Butter
Flour, as needed
Pork (Veal or Chicken) sliced about 1/2" and tenderized
2/3 C. Parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and Pepper, as needed

Slice and tenderize meat, season with Salt and Pepper on both sides, dip in flour and shake off excess. Brown 4 minutes per side in Olive Oil. Set aside. To the same pan, add shallots, onion, capers and garlic to pan and saute' until onions are translucent and beginning to brown. Add chicken stock. Add butter, cut into 1/2" squares and floured on all sides. Add mushrooms. Add lemon juice. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and scraping off any bits on the bottom of the pan from the meat. Return meat to pan, push down into the sauce, cover and cook for 20 minutes on med-low heat. Add parsley. Correct seasoning with S & P and enjoy.

100_2122.JPG

I am also making my roasted vegetables for the week, Brussel Sprouts on the left, Broccoli on the right. Just trimmed, added EVOO, S&P and granulated Garlic. Roasting is at 375 degrees F, time varies. I just started testing them with a fork after about 8 minutes. Usually top with Parmesan when they come out of the oven.

100_2123.JPG

I am also making my roasted vegetables for the week, Brussel Sprouts on the left, Broccoli on the right. Just trimmed, added EVOO, S&P and granulated Garlic. Roasting is at 375 degrees F, time varies. I just started testing them with a fork after about 8 minutes. Usually top with Parmesan when they come out of the oven.

View attachment 110254

Nice.

I like to cut my Brussels sprouts in half, and place them face-down on the baking sheet. Gives a nice little char that is appealing in a cabbage. Of course you need 2X the baking sheet real estate!

Nice.

I like to cut my Brussels sprouts in half, and place them face-down on the baking sheet. Gives a nice little char that is appealing in a cabbage. Of course you need 2X the baking sheet real estate!
Yes, Paul. It may be hard to see but they are all face down on the sheet. I also like the extraneous leaves that fall off when trimming. The oven turns them into a "cabbage chip!" I put the cut side down on the broccoli too for the caramelization. Bringing that extra sugar to the surface is worth the time.

Later in the week when I have some of the sprouts, I re-fry them in olive oil and season them with more vitamin G and hot pepper flakes.

Tonight's dinner was simple -- pork shoulder cooked all day in a crockpot with Pampered Chef Tuscan Chicken seasoning, which works well with pork. Steamed carrots and pasta make a complete dinner.

Tomorrow night Mrs. WM81 is going to surprise me with a meal. I have no idea what, else it wouldn't be a surprise! Thursday we'll do something else with pork, since a 3.5 lb pork shoulder makes 3 to 4 meals for us. I'm thinking enchiladas.

pork.jpg

Need to. Try making pulled pork
I make the pork in a crockpost as the meat is moist and whatever flavoring I use cooks into it. When the meat is falling apart, I put it on a cutting board with a rim and let it set 20 minutes. Then I scrape exterior fat, separate muscle groups, and put the cleaned meat in a bowl. I've got claws designed for shredding meat, and that's my final step.

Yes, Paul. It may be hard to see but they are all face down on the sheet. I also like the extraneous leaves that fall off when trimming. The oven turns them into a "cabbage chip!" I put the cut side down on the broccoli too for the caramelization. Bringing that extra sugar to the surface is worth the time.

Later in the week when I have some of the sprouts, I re-fry them in olive oil and season them with more vitamin G and hot pepper flakes.
I know everyone says roasted brussels sprouts are the way to go. I've tried doing them that way a few times and my wife and I still prefer them boiled to the crisp-tender stage and smothered with butter.

I know everyone says roasted brussels sprouts are the way to go. I've tried doing them that way a few times and my wife and I still prefer them boiled to the crisp-tender stage and smothered with butter.
Surely that is another way to enjoy them. I have also put them into a large frying pan with about 1/2" of water, covered the pan and steamed them on top of the range. I keep an eye on the water to be sure it does not all evaporate. When the sprouts are tender enough, I season them.

Generally, I prefer steaming to boiling due to the loss of nutrients in the boiling process.

I'll eat Brussels sprouts any way unless they are overcooked, although I prefer the oven roasted as they get caramelized. My wife hates the smell, so I tend to make them for lunch during the week, so the aroma is gone by the time she gets home.

That looks really good, Joe. I would like to try it. I can see carrots, potatoes, celery, bay leaf, parsley, assume garlic, onions and beef stock or broth along with the pork and some flour to thicken it. What am I missing?
White wine🍷 also

I'll eat Brussels sprouts any way unless they are overcooked, although I prefer the oven roasted as they get caramelized. My wife hates the smell, so I tend to make them for lunch during the week, so the aroma is gone by the time she gets home.
Like sprouts and bacon

Back