What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh Julie, that sounds wonderful!! I've been craving some red meat lately, and that would fit the bill!

We had borscht and homemade apple juice from our summer crush. Comfort food.

Oooh Julie, that sounds wonderful!! I've been craving some red meat lately, and that would fit the bill!

We had borscht and homemade apple juice from our summer crush. Comfort food.

Ray, I love comfort food!!!!!! That sounds very good. I'll post up my recipe in the WMT recipe section tomorrow.

Tonight's dinner was a venison backstrap, pan seared in a smoking hot pan, topped with sautéd onions and baby portobello mushrooms cooked in a reduced red wine sauce.

Well, that has me drooling... :HB

Tonight's dinner was a venison backstrap, pan seared in a smoking hot pan, topped with sautéd onions and baby portobello mushrooms cooked in a reduced red wine sauce.

Jeez, I was hitting the "Like" button before I even got done reading the description! Sounds awesome.

My wife is not feeling great, so the order of the day is comfort food. Made a meatloaf, rice, and sauteed spinach.

For us, it is "Red Meat Sunday"! A grilled New York steak, oven roasted potatoes and steamed green beans. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight so my Red Mountain Trio was limited to a couple sips. Sure was tasty though.

I have been promising my nephew a prime rib dinner. Saturday night was when I made good on my promise.

Appetizer: "baby's arm" shrimp,

Salad: Mixed greens in a balsamic vinaigrette with warm goat cheese patty, Pickled Beets, and glazed walnuts.

Entree: "4 ribber" Prime Rib au jus, Roasted Potatoes, Asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, and Yorkshire pudding (which turned out fantastic)

Dessert: chocolate mousse topped with sweet whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate gannache.

Sorry, The only picture I have is the roast before it went into the oven.

IMG_20141206_135415_226.jpg

Brining some BSB's (boneless, skinless breasts). A basic brine with brown sugar and salt, but I added some peppercorns, garlic and orange zest. I'll give 'em a quick shot on the gas grill and will serve up with some wild rice and acorn squash.

Here's a couple pics. Obviously not as colorful as a plate of fresh food made in July. But it was good.

IMG_2730.jpg

Last edited:
Byathread, you are truly blessed to have all that. Looks like Broccoli rabe, carrots, beets, turnips from right to left. What is the root veggie on the left? Did you eat the turnip greens? They are great sautéed in Olive Oil and Vitamin G (garlic) with just a touch of salt and pepper (red pepper flakes if you are adventurous).

Byathread, you are truly blessed to have all that. Looks like Broccoli rabe, carrots, beets, turnips from right to left. What is the root veggie on the left? Did you eat the turnip greens? They are great sautéed in Olive Oil and Vitamin G (garlic) with just a touch of salt and pepper (red pepper flakes if you are adventurous).

I believe it is radish,

Correct, its a type of daikon radish (though just a babe). I definitely love those turnip and radish (and all) greens. I often do them just as you suggested (plenty of garlic and maybe with a splash of balsamic), though sometimes I do them asian-style with soy, toasted sesame oil and rice wine vinegar (with a bit of ginger if I have it on hand).

The greenhouse is unheated and there won't be much growth for the next couple months, but I should (hopefully) still be able to harvest carrots, green onions, spinach, chard, kale, lettuce, arugula and other greens through the late winter planting season.

SWMBo is making holiday cookies, 4 batches.

So cookies, cookies, cookies!

Jack Daniels/Maple Syrup brined turkey breast (cooked on the smoker) with roasted butternut squash.

Latest posts

Back