What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@sour_grapes: it is flat leaf parsley.

Though you're giving me an idea to do them with some chorizo, tomato and cilantro.

Yea, deep Dish Pizza shipped in all the way from da Windy City! We got a catalog from SWMBO's coworker and we went in on a 6 pack of Pies about a month ago. All 3 of our pies disappeared somehow……. We were told that the sausage was the best so thats what we have been ordering. 6 (9") deep dish pies for $109 which includes 2 day express shipping. They seem to always have a coupon for 10% off which we used plus I purchased them on Shop Small Saturday and paid for them with my AMEX card so i get another $10 off from AMEX as they were on the list of companies participating. That works out to less than $15 bucks a pie delivered to my front door. The pizza's arrived yesterday and were still frozen solid as a rock with a nice chunk of dry ice still inside the bag. One pie will feed the wife and I for 2 meals. The sauce is pretty unbelievable. You can smell the sauce in the styrofoam container even after the frozen pies have been removed. We might be hooked! :hug

4packlous480.jpg

Must be part Italian especially this week. Fresh Italian (mild) Sausage with a Spicy Tomato and Basil red sauce served over Farfalle pasta with shaved Parm on the side.

Oh and here's the interesting (good) part. Dug through the cellar looking for something fun to put with it. Pulled out a 2010 Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortisimo aka "Rosso di Toscano".

Sooooooo this is a 4 year old Kit Wine folks. I added tannin and it spent 8 weeks in a Vadai Barrel. So how was it?

Wonderful! Perfect color still. Aromas of dark fruits especially cherry. Nice oak. Tannins were smooth and refined. Excellent bottle of wine that could easily have won a medal or two had it been entered. The message is to save a few bottles back and stash them away and forget about them for a LONG time to see what they become and just how well they hold up. You may be happy you did!

IMG_0136.jpg

Last edited:
Had some leftover rotisserie chicken. So I butchered it all up and seared it in some olive oil. Then I threw in some store bought "Ranchero" sauce from "Passage to Mexico". What attracted me to this sauce was not just the description, but the lack of "crap" in there. The ingredient list was fairly short for a store bought sauce like this. Well, it's delicious. Really, really good. And it made for an incredibly simple meal. Just served it over rice with some fresh veggies. Sorry, no pics. But here's what the sauce pack looks like:

http://www.vitacost.com/passage-foods-passage-to-mexico-simmer-sauce-ranchero-7-oz-1

Must be part Italian especially this week. Fresh Italian (mild) Sausage with a Spicy Tomato and Basil red sauce served over Farfalle pasta with shaved Parm on the side.

WOW! It is 8am and boy, could I dive into a bowl of that...

Please sir, any chance of a detailed recipe??

tonight's house special. will be fresh braised bear steaks with portabella mushrooms, The juice from which will be made into a gravy, served with mashed potatoes. a side of asparagus topped with hollandaise sauce. Not some store bough junk either. I melt real butter separate my eggs add just enough hot sauce to give acidity to keep the yokes from curdling. on indirect heat I slowly whip the warm butter into the egg yokes until a nice creamy sauce is made. You Have to stop as soon as the sauce becomes rich. as continuing will clamber the eggs. Garnished with pickled ramps, I like a semi sweet dark mead such as Buckwheat mead with this dish.

WOW! It is 8am and boy, could I dive into a bowl of that...

Please sir, any chance of a detailed recipe??

Embarrassed (almost after your recent detailed pics of home made red sauce) that I did push the weeknight "easy button". My favorite jar pasta sauce is the "Classico" brand. It's is one of the best out there with excellent fresh tomato flavor and NO sugar like Prego etc.

41129631102.jpg

The Italian sausage is some stuff we discovered at Costco a while back. Made by Tarantino. Wonderful seasonings especially lots of fennel. It comes in both mild and hot and comes nicely packaged in individual packs of 6 links per pack in a 4 pack for like $14. Much better than any stuff you will find at Kroger etc.

032.JPG

I always precook the sausage in a pan in a little water and then cook to dry and get a little color/char on the skin, pull em out then cut up or crumble depending on your likes add to sauce and simmer for 10-15mins.

I like really basil so I added even more fresh chopped basil form my Trader Joe's Winter basil plants.

tonight's house special. will be fresh braised bear steaks with portabella mushrooms, The juice from which will be made into a gravy, served with mashed potatoes. a side of asparagus topped with hollandaise sauce. Not some store bough junk either. I melt real butter separate my eggs add just enough hot sauce to give acidity to keep the yokes from curdling. on indirect heat I slowly whip the warm butter into the egg yokes until a nice creamy sauce is made. You Have to stop as soon as the sauce becomes rich. as continuing will clamber the eggs. Garnished with pickled ramps, I like a semi sweet dark mead such as Buckwheat mead with this dish.

So what does bear steaks taste like? Are they tender?

So what does bear steaks taste like? Are they tender?

So very much so. Bear steak is better than the best beef you ever tasted. tender succulent, Not greasy as many seem to think, and not Gamey. I have a friend who is city born and raised. she says she wont eat anything unless she sees a upc. Last year wile on a horse camp out she tried some bear steaks I prepared. when she found out I got a bear 2 weeks ago, she invited herself over for diner. Seriously, It is that good. anyone who says bear is not worth eating or that it is greasy. Either has never had it, or had some that was not cared for properly prior to processing.

So very much so. Bear steak is better than the best beef you ever tasted. tender succulent, Not greasy as many seem to think, and not Gamey. I have a friend who is city born and raised. she says she wont eat anything unless she sees a upc. Last year wile on a horse camp out she tried some bear steaks I prepared. when she found out I got a bear 2 weeks ago, she invited herself over for diner. Seriously, It is that good. anyone who says bear is not worth eating or that it is greasy. Either has never had it, or had some that was not cared for properly prior to processing.

LOL, thanks, I was one of those who thought it was greasy!!!!!

Tonight's dinner was a venison backstrap, pan seared in a smoking hot pan, topped with sautéd onions and baby portobello mushrooms cooked in a reduced red wine sauce.

Latest posts

Back