What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mines in the freezer. Actually might be 2 in there. Gonna break it out soon. Got it when price was low. That and my rib roast turned to rib steaks.

Yeah, I just hate to freeze them. All that extra work thawing to save a few cents a pound. Whereas the steaks, that is DOLLARS per pound I am saving. Pork butts go on sale here all the time, it's the South and summertime is smoking time. Just before Memorial Day, they will be like 89 and 99 cents.

They are often given the bacon weave treatment. Even with plenty to live for. Especially with plenty to live for.

@jswordy is that $1.99 the sale price? Eek!

Shrug, yeah, that's what they are offering this week, and it goes down from there. Dunno the Kroger price on the BOGO. Memorial Day, July 4 and Labor Day are the times to buy at 89 and 99 cents. Been smoking pork butts since they were 39 cents, and I definitely note that there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the meat. I'd rather buy from a small chain here called Foodland that has a butcher who actually cuts them himself, and maybe pay a few pennies more, than to buy the vac-packed ones on sale at the big stores. The difference in quality is night and day.

Didn't know there WAS a "supposed to" in smoking meats.

Granted. To each their own. It was just my interpretation that taking sausage and stuffing it with cheese, then wrapping it in bacon was where the name came from. Before even throwing it on the smoker the person creating it must have known the risks.... 'A fatty, why do you call it that?' 'well son, you are what you eat!'

Granted. To each their own. It was just my interpretation that taking sausage and stuffing it with cheese, then wrapping it in bacon was where the name came from. Before even throwing it on the smoker the person creating it must have known the risks.... 'A fatty, why do you call it that?' 'well son, you are what you eat!'

I dunno, I learned how to do it from guys on the KCBS competition circuit, and they never wrapped theirs. You're right, to each his own. I think original reference was more about uhhh, something else!

That is the sleeve of my wife's fleece. She prefers to call it "coral," not pink. :)
I don't care what color I say something is, my wife always tells me I'm wrong. It's not white, its off white. It's not tan, its ecru. It's not red, its mauve. It's not black its charcoal. And on and on it goes!

I don't care what color I say something is, my wife always tells me I'm wrong. It's not white, its off white. It's not tan, its ecru. It's not red, its mauve. It's not black its charcoal. And on and on it goes!

Absolutely nothing to feel bad about. I have a theory that men can see and give name to about 10 maybe 20 colors. Women 2.7 billion colors.

Had some fun doing the flap meat tacos tonight. This guy was in the 'under cabinet' when I went to shut the gas off. He blended pretty well with the gas line at first. We had a few words and he was pissed by the time I managed to sweep him off the deck.

tempImageq2TRwy.jpg

tempImage0m38hy.jpg

tempImageduSv7u.jpg

Had some fun doing the flap meat tacos tonight. This guy was in the 'under cabinet' when I went to shut the gas off. He blended pretty well with the gas line at first. We had a few words and he was pissed by the time I managed to sweep him off the deck.

View attachment 87602

View attachment 87604

View attachment 87605
Hahah,

'hey look one of the boys was bbqing tonight, wanna see?'

'oohhh, that's disgusting, I would rather live in snow all year than have perfect weather every day and have to deal with that'

What is it, harmless I assume?

What is it, harmless I assume?

7 years in this house, and that's only the 2nd snake I've encountered. The last was a ~4ft black snake in the garage. That was funny. My son - probably 7 at the time came in from the garage to tell me that he picked up what he thought was a toy snake and it slithered away. 😂 Luckily, the snake was just annoyed and slithered off.

I think this one was a garter snake. Harmless. Threw me off a bit, because I'm used to seeing them with a little more color. At one point, when I had gotten him off the propane tank, but he was still inside the grill cabinet, he had coiled up and his tail was shaking very quickly. Reminded me of a rattler, but with no sound.

7 years in this house, and that's only the 2nd snake I've encountered.
We have a lot of black snakes -- it's the most common one I've seen. My back step is a concrete pad, and one time I lifted it up (leveling the ground) and there were about 1,000 baby black snakes squirming together. Ok, it was probably 10 to 15, but on first sight it sure looked like 1,000! ;)

I'm not afraid of snakes, but it was a surprise, looking like a scene from Indiana Jones.

Locally we have copperheads, and in 27 years I've seen only one live, and a dozen or so dead on the road. We had a snake in the garage that I'm sure was an Eastern Hognose, so I shooed it out with a push broom.

Color is off for a garter snake. We have them (garter snakes) all over the backyard Spring through Fall. Up to 3ft in length. They scare this sh!t out of me each time I almost step on one and it slithers away but they are very beneficial and eat their weight in bugs and critters daily so I let them be.

That looks like it might be a juvenile North American Racer perhaps.

Possibilites here: https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/Common-Snakes-of-Maryland-Photo-Guide.pdf

7 years in this house, and that's only the 2nd snake I've encountered. The last was a ~4ft black snake in the garage. That was funny. My son - probably 7 at the time came in from the garage to tell me that he picked up what he thought was a toy snake and it slithered away. 😂 Luckily, the snake was just annoyed and slithered off.

I think this one was a garter snake. Harmless. Threw me off a bit, because I'm used to seeing them with a little more color. At one point, when I had gotten him off the propane tank, but he was still inside the grill cabinet, he had coiled up and his tail was shaking very quickly. Reminded me of a rattler, but with no sound.

Latest posts

Back