What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like their marketing hype calling it a San Marzano II variety. There is only one San Marzano variety because it breeds true by open air polination and the USDA seed is what was used to develop the Roma tomato in 1955 (which is not an Italian tomato at all, it was hybridized in the US to be a green pick determinate plant). If it is an improved variety then it's a genetic cross and not a true San Marzano.
Here's an explanation of San Marzano vs San Marzano 2 and why .

San Marzano VS San Marzano 2 - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Had a busy morning making a batch of sauce (gravy to some of you). Also made a tray of stuffed peppers. I did not have carrots, so I used JohnT's sugar recipe. Also, I had two bags of Bell peppers, one open, one not, so I used the open bag for the sauce (yellow and orange Bell peppers). Went out of my comfort zone, but I think everything came out okay.

Sauce ingredients:
100_1883.JPG
Need to process the tomatoes in a food processor:
100_1884.JPG
Finished batch of sauce:
100_1885.JPG
Peppers and stuffing:
100_1886.JPG
Stuffed and ready for the oven:
100_1889.JPG

Faced with difficult situations such as this I will often resort to choosing both.

The conversation in a new restaurant can off be 'how about you get what I want (red), and I'll get what I want (green), and we can share?'

It's even worked on occasion.

Had a busy morning making a batch of sauce (gravy to some of you). Also made a tray of stuffed peppers. I did not have carrots, so I used JohnT's sugar recipe. Also, I had two bags of Bell peppers, one open, one not, so I used the open bag for the sauce (yellow and orange Bell peppers). Went out of my comfort zone, but I think everything came out okay.

Sauce ingredients:
View attachment 86560
Need to process the tomatoes in a food processor:
View attachment 86561
Finished batch of sauce:
View attachment 86562
Peppers and stuffing:
View attachment 86563
Stuffed and ready for the oven:
View attachment 86564
nicely done - huge fan of stuffed peppers - and a bottle of barbera to wash it down

Here's an explanation of San Marzano vs San Marzano 2 and why .

San Marzano VS San Marzano 2 - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community
Great find!

So the San Marzano 2 is actually the SMEC 20 variety favored by the big canners and the heirloom San Marzano is the protected variety earning Agro Sarnese Nocerino region Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status by the European Union.

That's pretty cool that they worked to save the original native variety.

Thanks for that effort Brian!

Last edited:
Haven't been cooking much of late. Got the 'Vid a couple weeks ago, then have been swamped with work and a couple home and yard projects. Tonight was the completion of an unintentional experiment. A few days back, I threw a couple filets in the sous vide for me and the Mrs. A couple hours after that, she got a screaming headache and went to bed, so I took the filets out and put them in the fridge until tonight. They went back in the SV for about 90 minutes, then on the Performer over some Kingsford Pro for the finish. Not pictured was teriyaki chicken breast and salmon for the kiddos. My standard salad and a starch on the side. Steaks were crazy tender - no idea of they were just good steaks or a product of the double sous vide, but I'm not complaining.

tempImageMFO5L0.jpg

Here are the results of our cooking today. We have 10 containers of sauce which will go into the freezer and 7 stuffed peppers. We will keep 2 stuffed peppers in the refrigerator and freeze the remaining 5. I freeze them in the pan shown in the picture and then individually wrap them in Saran wrap and place them in a freezer bag. When we want peppers, we just take them out of the bag the night before, let them thaw in the refrigerator and place in a 350 F degree oven until thoroughly warmed. The sauce is used for several Italian dishes, e.g., eggplant parmesan, sausage and peppers, chicken parmesan, etc.

@JohnT, we used sugar instead of carrots (did not have any in the house and did not want to make a special trip to the store) and we are very pleased with the results. Thanks for the recipe.

100_1890.JPG

Sancocho, like wine, is WAY more complicated than I thought. A traditional SEVEN meat stew. SEVEN! Originally inspired by Geek with a dish he had in the Dominican Republic.

Puerto Rico, and apparently every home within both cultures have their own versions.

Like Wine, I thought that will be fun to make, sorry... Simple. I am enjoying both. It looks really good.

So, day 2 of checking recipes and getting a rough idea and ingredients lined up, still thinking its a simple enough thing, just lots of ingredients, I started watching videos about 4 pm tonight to solidify the game plan and I was gonna throw it all together..

WELL! As I wish I could do with wine, I'm pulling 5 recipes into one.

3 meats. A whole game hen cut into 6 pieces. Bison stew meat, which I think due to a miscommunication is my delicious chuck roasts, and short ribs (LONG short ribs). All thrown into a 12 hour marinade of onion, garlic, Anaheim pepper, thyme, oregano, cilantro, chili's, lemon and pink grapefruit juice.
meat.jpg

There's a couple lbs of 1 inch cube stew meat hidden in there.

marinade.jpg

mix.jpg

I am going to start cooking it tomorrow afternoon and tonight we had a delicious feast of leftover spaghetti that I enjoyed enough I failed to get pictures to share the first time.

Spag.jpg

I figure I am either going to make something so good it is worth making a solid game plan that is repeatable, or I will never make it again because the results are not worth the effort. either way, no point in cutting corners.

I actually manage to find yucas, plantains, and most other mandatory ingredients in a sleepy northern Alberta town. I forgot to put the corn on the cob in there. There's still 6 foot piles of snow all around the yard, but it's corn season!

veg.jpg

Anyway. Geek posted the inspiration a few pages back and I will post the results tomorrow!

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
It's going to be a tossup between who eats more asparagus (me), or Artichokes (you), in their day to day meals.

I have made an effort to find and make whole artichokes. I watched Julie and Julia and wanted to make Julia Child's recipe. Do you grow them or are they just readily available?

For me it is a specialty item on 'Fancy' pizza, canned, and occasionally available whole and raw. Nothing I would be able to enjoy daily, although your variations intrigue me.

Sancocho, like wine, is WAY more complicated than I thought. A traditional SEVEN meat stew. SEVEN! Originally inspired by Geek with a dish he had in the Dominican Republic.

Puerto Rico, and apparently every home within both cultures have their own versions.

Like Wine, I thought that will be fun to make, sorry... Simple. I am enjoying both. It looks really good.

So, day 2 of checking recipes and getting a rough idea and ingredients lined up, still thinking its a simple enough thing, just lots of ingredients, I started watching videos about 4 pm tonight to solidify the game plan and I was gonna throw it all together..

WELL! As I wish I could do with wine, I'm pulling 5 recipes into one.

3 meats. A whole game hen cut into 6 pieces. Bison stew meat, which I think due to a miscommunication is my delicious chuck roasts, and short ribs (LONG short ribs). All thrown into a 12 hour marinade of onion, garlic, Anaheim pepper, thyme, oregano, cilantro, chili's, lemon and pink grapefruit juice.
View attachment 86585

There's a couple lbs of 1 inch cube stew meat hidden in there.

View attachment 86586

View attachment 86587

I am going to start cooking it tomorrow afternoon and tonight we had a delicious feast of leftover spaghetti that I enjoyed enough I failed to get pictures to share the first time.

View attachment 86588

I figure I am either going to make something so good it is worth making a solid game plan that is repeatable, or I will never make it again because the results are not worth the effort. either way, no point in cutting corners.

I actually manage to find yucas, plantains, and most other mandatory ingredients in a sleepy northern Alberta town. I forgot to put the corn on the cob in there. There's still 6 foot piles of snow all around the yard, but it's corn season!

View attachment 86589

Anyway. Geek posted the inspiration a few pages back and I will post the results tomorrow!

Wish me luck!

Great work, cannot wait to see your results.......where are you BTW? lol

Not sure if you mentioned yuca, another ingredient. Some versions even add a "bollito de yuca" or "bollito de platano" which adds a nice texture as an ingredient to the stew, but don't complicate it and go along with what you have, I'm sure it will come out great..!!

Latest posts

Back