What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But I opened up the butcher shop tonight and got 14 1-inch thick boneless ribeyes out of this and 4 beef rib segments.
Folks in the USA often don't realize how much of a cost savings it can be to buy a large portion and segment it themselves. It's not hard to learn ....

Well, it's not dinner yet! But I opened up the butcher shop tonight and got 14 1-inch thick boneless ribeyes out of this and 4 beef rib segments. Mmmm... Not bad for $6.99 a pound, I think. Might grab another one tomorrow. Steaks go fast when ya grill three every Sunday!

View attachment 86655

View attachment 86657

The store butcher's eyes just lit up when I started talking primals. They love that stuff. :D Time for some wine...
I like to buy the big cuts too, lucky for me there’s a Restaurant Depot (aka Jet) just a couple miles from me. Here’s a pic of two whole briskets, a boneless ribeye, and two whole flat iron steak cuts. Another of the ribeye steaks vacuum packed. EAF128FE-5F21-41D9-AB82-3A8A17B425B8.jpegFEBD943A-1BDF-4F57-8663-22C0D5121DC7.jpeg

Folks in the USA often don't realize how much of a cost savings it can be to buy a large portion and segment it themselves. It's not hard to learn ....
Yesterday !
Once my tooth feels better I’m eating rib steak !

Attachments

• E7A8A45E-257C-4FBD-B846-F5D5EAE53D2E.jpeg
    E7A8A45E-257C-4FBD-B846-F5D5EAE53D2E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 3F79A58B-AE3D-4F41-961B-7F26F553D489.jpeg
    3F79A58B-AE3D-4F41-961B-7F26F553D489.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I got those from Ohio Heirloom

Link: San Marzano Heirloom Tomato Seeds

These are also a really amazing variety to try, the flavor is fantastic if you let them fully ripen on the vine. I dry these for sun dried, make tomato powder out of them for paste and they are the first to sell at the market.

https://ohioheirloomseeds.com/products/cherokee-purple-heirloom-tomato-seeds
I got my Stavros Greek pepperoncini and Aleppo pepper seeds from Ohio Heirloom couple years back. Couldn't find them anywhere else at the time. Only have to buy seeds once!

The local AAA baseball team the ABQ Isotopes (thank Homer Simpson) unveiled their new culinary dishes for 2022 yesterday. This one stood out for some reason. LOL

Introducing the I-Chee-Wa-Wa Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich

Ingredients: 1 pound spicy pulled pork, 1/2 pound diced Hatch green chile, creamy jalapeño nacho cheese, topped with a crispy chile relleno all housed in a soft bun.

Side of Tum's optional.

Take me out to the ball game!

1649344992946.png

https://www.abqjournal.com/2486411/triple-play-ex-isotopes-debut-three-culinary-allstars.html

Last edited:
I like to buy the big cuts too, lucky for me there’s a Restaurant Depot (aka Jet) just a couple miles from me. Here’s a pic of two whole briskets, a boneless ribeye, and two whole flat iron steak cuts. Another of the ribeye steaks vacuum packed. View attachment 86673View attachment 86674

We have a Gordon's and a Sysco here, too. (Both restaurant supply houses.) They could not beat $6.99 at Publix, though. I cut my flat irons out of shoulder roasts, last deal was $4.99/pound, also Publix. I scan the weekly ads every Wednesday. No doubt about it, a vacuum packer is the way to go.

Last edited:
We have a Gordon's and a Sysco here, too. (Both restaurant supply houses.) They could not beat $6.99 at Publix, though. I cut my flat irons out of shoulder roasts, last deal was $4.99/pound, also Publix. I scan the weekly ads every Wednesday. No doubt about it, a vacuum packer is the way to go.
I've never been to a Gordon's or Sysco. Restaurant depot is not the cheapest (but I don't find their everyday prices exorbitant) and they don't put many things "on sale" like grocery stores do however they always have stuff for sale at prices below the non "on sale" price grocery stores in my area charge. And they always have excellent meats, fish, seafood, and cheeses, all great stuff for a keto diet as you know. The choice of goods is phenomenal, almost all their beef is CAB from their own ranches.
+1 to a vacuum packer, put that vacuum packed stuff in a deep freezer and it will be good for a very very long time.

To each his own. Did you know I have a white Charolais calf I am gonna sell into the CAB program on Tuesday? Yessir, her skin is black and her nose is black, and she is half black Angus, so she qualifies. Great marketing they do. How meat from a calf will marble when finished in a yard is dependent on the nutritional plain of the cow in her last trimester of pregnancy way more than any other single factor including breed or genetics.

When I can cut up Prime Rib into boneless ribeye steaks and also get pre-separated beef ribs for $6.99 a pound, I'm gonna do it. That beats the 2-inch lip-on whole ribeyes at Gordon's by $2 a pound, and I eat a lot of steak. The last time Publix had this deal was December. It came just in time, I have two ribeyes left to go.

I used to be able to get whole ribeyes for $6.99 a pound at Kroger, but those days have been gone for 2 years now. I started buying them at $4.99. One time, I latched onto some I just knew were overflow from the restaurant trade, due to slack demand from Covid. Just totally limp. I bought four that time. Boy, were those steaks tender.

Anyway, all this yakking about it made me stop again and then cut up nine more steaks tonight. 23 should last me until mid to late June. Time for some wine. Cheers!

Last edited:
I like to buy the big cuts too, lucky for me there’s a Restaurant Depot (aka Jet) just a couple miles from me. Here’s a pic of two whole briskets, a boneless ribeye, and two whole flat iron steak cuts. Another of the ribeye steaks vacuum packed. View attachment 86673View attachment 86674
Dam i'd be smoking those briskets in no time - Texas style

Dam i'd be smoking those briskets in no time - Texas style
Yes sir, did them on my UDS! But I like to let them sit in the cryovac in the fridge for at least a couple weeks but prefer 4 weeks. Then use a simple salt and black pepper rub with one not so secret extra addition. 64B06693-00D5-4EB5-8048-B8F30C681088.jpeg75FBD50F-8B71-4B80-AF02-C184BB544D82.jpeg

Yes sir, did them on my UDS! But I like to let them sit in the cryovac in the fridge for at least a couple weeks but prefer 4 weeks. Then use a simple salt and black pepper rub with one not so secret extra addition. View attachment 86768View attachment 86769
Nice- those work great - i have green eggs - i'm pondering the idea of ordering a smoker from Aron Franklin

LOL Smith's of course, the big "Market Place" store up in LA. Much deeper sea food selection than the small one here in WR. They are farm raised and seemed to be in good condition. All shut tightly. All opened up nicely for me at the 7-8 min mark. $7/lb. Not cheap but only needed 2lbs for dinner.

Now where did you get those clams, living in a land locked State in early spring? And where they up to your expectations/high standards?

Yes sir, did them on my UDS! But I like to let them sit in the cryovac in the fridge for at least a couple weeks but prefer 4 weeks. Then use a simple salt and black pepper rub with one not so secret extra addition.

Sir, I tip my hat!

I'm pretty sure I have a cross rib and sirloin roast, ribeye, chuck, and sirloin steaks all wet aging in the fridge. It is the first time I have tried it. I am at the 3 week mark. I was planning to try one around the 4 week mark and stretch the rest out to 8 just to see what I get.

Any thoughts, or advice?

Sir, I tip my hat!

I'm pretty sure I have a cross rib and sirloin roast, ribeye, chuck, and sirloin steaks all wet aging in the fridge. It is the first time I have tried it. I am at the 3 week mark. I was planning to try one around the 4 week mark and stretch the rest out to 8 just to see what I get.

Any thoughts, or advice?
A month is the most I’ve ever gone, but the human nose is finely tuned to detect spoiled meat so trust your nose when you open them I’d say. Maybe after cooking the 4 week you do another at 5 then 6…and so on. I do mine in a spare fridge that is set low, around 35F, and rarely gets opened so there is very little temp fluctuation.
Have you ever tried Koji, it mimics dry aging in 24 hours

Latest posts

Back