What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was BBQ pork tenderloin, rice, and cabbage/onion/ham fried up and finished with cream and a splash of vinegar. Yum!

A friend invited us over -- the deal is that she provides the food and we cook it! She is a wonderful and generous host and a lousy cook. We made roast beets, roasted, herbed asparagus with panko highlights, and orange roughy meuniere. It turned out very nicely. We quaffed a combination of Liberty School Cabernet and Cline Viognier -- both very nice!

A friend invited us over -- the deal is that she provides the food and we cook it! She is a wonderful and generous host and a lousy cook. We made roast beets, roasted, herbed asparagus with panko highlights, and orange roughy meuniere. It turned out very nicely. We quaffed a combination of Liberty School Cabernet and Cline Viognier -- both very nice!

WOW! now that is what I call a good friend! She does the grocery shopping and pays the bill, you get to have all of the fun.

I could use a number of friends like that!

WOW! now that is what I call a good friend! She does the grocery shopping and pays the bill, you get to have all of the fun.

I could use a number of friends like that!

Yes, it is a good deal. At least we brought the wine.

To be fair, we more often have her over our house, where WE do the shopping and the cooking, and SHE brings the wine. Also, we are teaching her to cook; she has made great progress, but there is some recidivism!

Well folks,

Just got back from GADAWG's neck of the woods. Went down to visit uncle Charlie and to cook for my wife's family.

Good Friday -
Salad: spring mix with a basalmic vinegrette, pickled beets, glazed walnuts, and a warm goat cheese crouton.

Entrée: 4 rib prime rib roast, baked pot, Yorkshire pudding (that came out perfect!!), asparagus, mushroom au jous.

Dessert: Trifle

Saturday:
Decided to take it easy: Spaghetti with sauce bolognase, garlic bread.

Easter: Potato-leek soup, Roast Ham, roast brats, Hungarian cabbage salad, corn, carrots, mashed potatoes, biscuts, Apple pie, pecan pie, and cheesecake.

Shrimp Scampi!

Hump day!

Easy quick meal. Shrimp Scampi with parsley, capers, and lemon paired well with a 2013 RJS EP Aussie Chardonnay!

IMG_2194.jpg

Hump day!

Easy quick meal. Shrimp Scampi with parsley, capers, and lemon paired well with a 2013 RJS EP Aussie Chardonnay!

WOW DOES THAT LOOK GOOOOOOOD!

Both the shrimp and the pasta looks perfectly cooked!
Just needs some really nice bread to go with it.

Gorden Ramsey himself would lick that plate!

How about a recipe write up (details)?????

Last edited:
Almost embarrassed to admit John…….. :)

81NuW4839cL._SL1500_.jpg

I did doctor it with some extra white wine, more lemon, capers and some fresh parsley as it is now in abundance in the herb garden outside my back door. I have to admit that all of these simmer sauces are very good. Perfect for 2-3 people on a week night. I usually always tweak a bit to my taste.

Well, at least your actual meal looks better than the picture on the package! How often does that happen?

I recently discovered how EASY-PEASY it is to make a killer lemon/butter/caper/garlic sauce. I routinely put this on broccoli and cauliflower.
-Melt as much butter as you feel like (~1/2 stick) in a saucepan
-Add as much minced (not crushed) garlic as you like (~3 cloves)
-Simmer over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes
-Add as much rough-chopped capers as you like (~2 or 3 Tablespoons). Heat for minute.
-Add lemon juice (fresh or ReaLemon) to taste, maybe 3 Tbsp.

This always pleases, and it is so simple.

Last edited:
Almost embarrassed to admit John…….. :)

81NuW4839cL._SL1500_.jpg

I did doctor it with some extra white wine, more lemon, capers and some fresh parsley as it is now in abundance in the herb garden outside my back door. I have to admit that all of these simmer sauces are very good. Perfect for 2-3 people on a week night. I usually always tweak a bit to my taste.

LOVE using these! The Moroccan chicken slow cooker one is excellent!

HUmmm did you pay full retail for that :). IT actually looks very good. I will look for it in my grocery store.

Actually no, I didn't Dan.
$1.97 - Wal-Mart Price
-$ .75 - Coupon
-$ .75 - Rebate from ibotta App
-$ .30 - Rebate from Wal-Mart Savings catcher (another local store had them on sale 3/$5

So I paid 17 cents. Worth it!

Last edited:
Actually no, I didn't Dan.
$1.97 - Wal-Mart Price
-$ .75 - Coupon
-$ .75 - Rebate from ibotta App
-$ .30 - Rebate from Wal-Mart Savings catcher (another local store had them on sale 3/$5

So I paid 17 cents. Worth it!

17 cents??? what? is this 1950???

What a bargain! It probably cost you more to heat it up on the stove!
Be honest, did it taste good?

17 cents??? what? is this 1950???

What a bargain! It probably cost you more to heat it up on the stove!
Be honest, did it taste good?

So far, I've tried the Marsala Skillet Sauce, the Scampi Skillet Sauce, and the Moroccan Spiced Stew Slow Cooker Sauce. We liked them all. I added some extra Vidalia onions to the Marsala, since my hubby LOVES onions. To the Moroccan, I added some garbanzo beans, just because.

I'd recommend any I've tried. In my pantry, there is one pack of Tavern Style Pot Roast Slow cooker Sauce, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tonight was cornflake chicken with green beans and oven roasted rosemary red potatoes. And to drink, a "Joeswines inspired" vinifera noble Amarone. A very nice pairing

Oh, man! This was good. My wife is on a business trip to another continent, so I made some things she does not like so much.

Pasta with garlic and butter
Curly endive sauteed with lots of garlic and olive oil
Mixture of shitake and portabello mushrooms sauteed with onions, butter, olive oil, and thyme
The pièce de résistance: pan-seared scallops. Oh. My. Lord. they were good.

Alton Brown is correct: salt+pepper, very hot pan with butter, sear for 90 seconds per side, is the correct recipe.

Washed down with a California blend of Grenache, Syrah, and Carignane (Alysa, 2009).

Sounds good. I'm going to make scallops in a white wine-butter-garlic on pasta tomorrow for dinner. Tonight chicken soup with lots of sage (bit of a cold going around the house).

One of my favorite new things to do is every couple of weeks roast up a dozen heads of garlic then pop the cooled cloves into a jar and cover with olive oil. Tons of ready to use garlic at hand, and almost more delicious is the garlic infused oil you have at the end. Though, as I true garlic lover, a pinch of fresh or very lightly sauteed garlic gives a dish the necessary "punch" of garlic as roasted garlic can be full of garlic flavor but lacking that spicy kick.

Only a couple of months until my first fresh garlic harvest of the year!

Back