What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to an interesting small-plate, boutique restaurant with a kind of fusion cuisine. Everything was delish. We had Korean pancakes with jalapeno, dock confit flautas, seared scallops, local sopressato, sesame-wasabi deviled eggs, pork belly bulgogi, bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with gouda, and I probably forgot a few things. It was all scrumptious. Washed it down with an Australian Shiraz-Viognier.

The Mrs (SWMBO) had a craving for lasagna.

I like my lasagna, but I have had better. If anyone has some tips to make a better lasagna, It would be much appreciated!

Here is what I did...

Sauce:

Brown 3-4 pounds meat loaf mix (a lump of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal in the same packet).

Brown meat, drain fat,
add salt, pepper, and a diced onion. Allow onion to become translucent.

Add 2 cans of mushrooms, 1 can of plumb tomatoes, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 1/2 can of water, 3 tblsp dried basil, 3 tblsp sugar, 2 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp. dried thyme, 1 tbsp. fennel seeds, and a palm full of dried procini mushrooms. allow to simmer for 3 to 4 hours.

Add 2 cans of tomato paste and allow sauce to simmer for another 1/2 hour or so. It ends up much like a very thick chili.

Cheese:

3 eggs, 3 cups ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 3 cups shredded mutz cheese. Stir and chill.

Pasta:

I boil the pasta 2 minutes short of the package instructions. I do this thinking that the undercooked pasta will absorb moisture in the lasagna and make it more firm.

I assemble with a layer of pasta, a layer of meat sauce, and dabs of the cheese mix on top of the meat sauce. Repeat 2 times and cap with a top layer of pasta, a top layer of meat sauce, and a final layer of mutz cheese.

Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Tonight will be:

Herbed Green Salad with a Chardonnay Olio Vinaigrette (served with 2011 Chardonnay), followed by:
Marinated Grilled London Broil with a Merlot Au-Jus, loaded mashed potatoes, buttered corn and pea succotash (served with 2010 Merlot), and finally:
Chocolate blooming strawberries with shaved coconut and chopped walnut topping (served with 2012 White Zinfandel).

Trying to do my best impression of GreginND…….

SWMBO went to Whole Paycheck today and brought back Sushi! :)

Tonight will be:

Aloha Fruity Salad Roll (served with 2013 RJS EP Chardonnay), followed by:

Spicy Furikake Albacore Roll (served with 2013 RJS EP Chardonnay), followed by:

Seared Albacore Nigiri (served with 2013 RJS EP Chardonnay), followed by:

Absolutely NOTHING! Its freaking MONDAY! :)

Nice to see you got some green veg on that plate, Tony. Or is that a garnish? :)

Nice to see you got some green veg on that plate, Tony. Or is that a garnish? :)

Ha. Brocoli, love it. But in keeping with the Cajon theme it should have been Mustard or Turnip Greens with Bacon.

Lucky me! My hubby AKA king of the grill, was having a hankering for burgers.

He fixed cheeseburgers with thinly diced portabella and vidalia onions topped with more sautéed onion and portabella and Roma tomatoes. Nomnmnom. Love this man's burgers!

Last night was a local, 30 day aged strip steak rubbed down with Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express and grilled over charcoal, random fresh veg that I stole from my wife as she made her salad, and redskin mashed potatoes with garlic and thyme. Paired with dreams of a rich, chewy Cabernet and a large glass of water.

Wife was at a class last night so it was boys night in with my two little guys. Sushi and frozen pizza!

Italian seasoned burgers, topped with provolone, proscuitto, caramelized onions, balsamic reduction, lettuce and tomato. Grill roasted asparagus. Tater tots. Ya gotta have tots.

Update: here's a pic.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I decided that spring was here!!! I marinated some swordfish steaks in lemon, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. I then grilled them on a hardwood charcoal grill. This was the first barbecue of the season!!! It was very nice. Paired with cauliflower with tarragon butter, fettuccine with garlic alfredo sauce, and a salad of mixed greens with 18 year old balsamic vinegar and fleur de sel. Wonderful! Spring is (almost) here!!

[QU OTE=sour_grapes;503988]I decided that spring was here!!! I marinated some swordfish steaks in lemon, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. I then grilled them on a hardwood charcoal grill. This was the first barbecue of the season!!! It was very nice. Paired with cauliflower with tarragon butter, fettuccine with garlic alfredo sauce, and a salad of mixed greens with 18 year old balsamic vinegar and fleur de sel. Wonderful! Spring is (almost) here!![/QUOTE]

Nice!! Spring is definitely coming! I'm doing boneless ribeye steaks with jumbo shrimp skewers on the barby tonight! Lovely sunny day and 11 degrees out. Having a bonfire to burn the Christmas tree finally!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1396808495.736879.jpg

Latest posts

Back