What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool!

The montage above demonstrates one of the two ways that SV is very useful: carefully controlling the doneness of a tender cut of meat. The other way is tenderizing a tough cut of meat that is traditionally done by braising, at a bit of a lower temperature. The archetypal example is short ribs: you can make them fall-off-the-bone tender and yet still have a tinge of pink. (Although, frankly, I have taken to making them at to a higher temperature anyway.)

Hope you get interested enough to start an interesting thread!

Do you guys cook the meat in bags with that sous vide method? Otherwise it would be soaking in water?

Yes. Can you see the bags in my picture above?

Sous vide means "under vacuum" (as you probably know, being from Ontario! :D). In English, we probably would have said "vacuum-packed." The meat is put in bags and the air sucked out.

Yes thanks Sour-grapes! Heard of it before but have never tried it! Looks awesome!

Sorry had to edit that post! Read to fast and for your name mixed up with Grapeman's!

Carolyn

Last edited:
I edited!! Sorry sourgrapes! Hope I didn't make you sour! Your avatar is scary enough as it is! Lol

Carolyn

This is a great thread --- it'll probably go on forever!

Tonight we have Chicken with Riesling and Cremini Mushrooms. I found my last bottle of WE SE Columbia Valley Riesling, 12/2012. It's one of those unlabeled bottles with no seal (I keep a small label on the bottom of all bottles that codes the varietal and date). I just conducted my "quality check" and it is better aged than most of my whites. I just get too impatient with whites (and reds, and...)

To sip on with cheese and crackers while we wait, we are enjoying a L'Ecole No. 41 Cabernet Sauvignon from Walla Walla. Here's to all of you on this board who help me make my home winemaking so much better!

Gotta go -- More wine beckons.

NS

after 7 days of hotel food, i am home and can cook..
tonight is turnip greens with ham hocks, steamed turnips with butter and mint, ribs in the oven with a garlic and pistachio butter..
and a few cc and coke ......mabye some peach port.

I'm trying something new tonight. I plan to enjoy this with a lovely surf and turf meal of ribeye steaks and shrimp skewers. I've never tried this brand before anyone have any feedback on it? Positive or negative...

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :)

ImageUploadedByWine Making1394907010.730823.jpg

Hmmmm. Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't pair an Amarone with Surf and Turf. I would go with a Super Tuscan of sorts with that meal and hold on to the Amarone for a hearty Italian meal of sorts.

Again just my $0.02!

Just arrived in Dallas this evening and enjoyed my usual fare - sushi.

Well, and edame too!

1842_10100405127263849_738444934_n.jpg

1507083_10100405127343689_398049477_n.jpg

10014706_10100405127368639_1301314751_n.jpg

All those postings James got started about lobster got me craving it. I never made it before. Bought two frozen tails at Sams Club. Thawed them out in micro wave and broiled in toaster oven. They were "ok". I also bought 4 top sirloin steaks (for the same price) for tomorrow night and I guarantee they will be far superior.

I might also add I am sure even though it was only ok it was way better (imo) than what Greg ate in the post above me. LMAO

I am saying NO, these were not better than what Greg was having AND just because you don't know how to cook a lobster doesn't mean that your steaks are better.

I am saying NO, these were not better than what Greg was having AND just because you don't know how to cook a lobster doesn't mean that your steaks are better.

Yes. Two words that should never be used together are "lobster" and "microwave". :)

First off Boatboy, I was prepared for that and would have been disappointed otherwise. I just got home with them and was not willing to wait 24 hours for them to thaw out in the refrigerator (admit mistake #1).

Second Julie, that GreginND just doesn't eat right except when I met up with him in Sandusky and he ate my Vegetables. Raw seafood, no way. Now the bit about not cooking it right, GUILTY! I cut the shell and slightly pulled the meat out. Poured melted butter and paprika on it and then broiled. Pulled it off the internet. My steaks are killer!

I would kill to eat lobster again> I used to love it until I developed a shell fish alergy. no matter lately all I get are smothies and salad. been trying to lose weight. Then there are the liquid calories:b

Yes. Two words that should never be used together are "lobster" and "microwave". :)

I could not agree more. No microwave. I eat lobster and shrimp all the time. To thaw them fill your sink with cold water and let them soak. The will thaw out in no time at all. Under an hour I would say. I will not get into cooking them because there are so many ways. I would say my fav way would be steamed or on the BBQ though. Over cooked and they will get tough. Drawn butter and lemon is a must.

RR

Last edited:
LOL @ Dan

I'm sure your lobster and your steaks are awesome. They would be even better matched with some awesome asparagus or something!

Latest posts

Back