What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it IS Mardi Gras! So made a very traditional Cajun dinner. Jambalaya with Sausage and Shrimps. Kicked it up a notch (of course) with some cayenne pepper. Paired perfectly with my '12 CC Showcase LR Sauvignon Blanc - Semillon - Chardonnay. Awesome dinner!

IMG_2059.jpg

Pasta with chicken and sun dried tomatoes

1625515_10100398321158339_1795360796_n.jpg

We did pasta topped with a chorzio-cajun-cream sauce I invented as I made it. Yum!

Wow all that food looks delicious! I'm still waiting for dinner... Refused to cook dinner tonight cuz I spent all day doing taxes :-D

Carolyn

Tonight - Steel Head Trout poached in foil with a soy miso glaze served on top of a bed of asparagus risotto. Served with a delightful light and complex California Pinot Noir.

1898109_10100399712520039_2115328027_n.jpg

1660381_10100399712310459_690483416_n.jpg

Herb rubbed chicken breasts with leek and mushroom stuffing. Wild rice and a green salad. Home made pound cake with limoncello macerated berries for dessert.

Pork shoulder cooked sous vide until tear-apart tender, then broiled/browned/charred on the outside. Served with a reduction sauce made from the bag drippings+sherry+sriracha. Sides are romanesco broccoli and cous-cous.

My AWESOME hubby decided he'd cook tonight. This is a rarity. Despite not being in the mood for anything with even a hint of spice, I was rather pleased by his breakfast burritos! Plus he respected my Low-Fat lifestyle. I'm so proud of him!

Paul: what SV setup are you using? I've been eying the Anova.

Hey, Jim. I rolled my own. I bought a commercial PID controller, and rigged it to turn a solid-state-relay on and off. That controls the power to my crock pot. It works really well. You can also buy essentially the same thing for about $150 from Auber Instruments. You can also use a rice cooker instead of a crock pot.

If you are interested in building your own, you can get PIDs on ebay for about $25, but I did not know that when I built mine a few years ago.

Here is a picture of my controller, with crock pot in background.

sousvide.jpg

We had a nice quiet dinner with my Daughter and Son in Law. Yesterday was her birthday and we celebrated it today. Beef Wellington, roasted cauliflower & broccoli and salad. Fruit with whipped cream for dessert and two great bottles of Brunello: Argiano Brunello di Montalcino 2004 and Tiezzi Brunello di Montalcino 2007. Nothing left to show except the dead soldiers. You will have to take my word for it. The meal, the wine and the family were wonderful.

Sounds great. That 04 Arigiano must have been excellent at 10 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

Sounds great. That 04 Arigiano must have been excellent at 10 years.

It really was, Tony. It was also my first successful attempt at Beef Wellington. Last night, I tried my "Poor Man's Beef Wellington" using ground beef tenderloin. We buy the whole tenderloin, trim it and cut it into steaks or roasts and make ground meat out of the remainder. I took about a pound of the ground meat, added sautéed onions and red bell pepper, an egg and some seasoning and formed this into a small loaf. I then browned it on all sides and rolled in in 8 sheets of phyllo dough, sprayed with olive oil and topped with chopped sage (the recipe called for thyme but I was out). I had spread the phyllo dough with a mixture of sautéed finely chopped mushroom, shallots, sherry and sage before rolling it up and roasting it at 400 F for 29 minutes. It was really nice. The recipe is from a book by Rocco DiSpirito and his "less than 350 calorie meals." I have lost about 20 pounds in the last 2 months following his recipes, which are delicious.

RR: your lamb chops picture had me shouting "AH AH AH" in a voice that suggested great distress. I LUV lamb, and that really looked nice!

If you have any questions on sous-vide cooking, feel free to ask. I have been doing it for about 4 years now. Here is a montage of one of my early attempts (when I was still documenting things with photos). This is a bacon-wrapped tenderloin:

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv3.jpg

sv4.jpg

sv5.jpg

sv6.jpg

More on Sous Vide Cooking

I like this approach. I have always seared thicker cuts of meat and then finished in an oven. I like the Idea of getting to an internal temp then searing to gbd (golden brown and delicious).

I am sure I will have plenty of questions. When the arise I will start a new thread. I dont want to hijack this one.

I love the propane torch!

RR

Do you guys cook the meat in bags with that sous vide method? Otherwise it would be soaking in water?

I made an awesome home made mac and cheeseburger casserole tonight. Looks simple on the plate but is most divine with home made sharp white cheddar sauce and garlic cheese and panko topping! I usually steer away from rich dishes like this but once in awhile it's a treat!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1394587612.442976.jpg

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back