What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite new things to do is every couple of weeks roast up a dozen heads of garlic then pop the cooled cloves into a jar and cover with olive oil. Tons of ready to use garlic at hand, and almost more delicious is the garlic infused oil you have at the end.

Oh, now that is a good idea! I'll have to try that! Usually, roast garlic is an occasional treat, and it requires thinking ahead :slp. But your way provides a ready supply.

How do you feel about chimichurri sauce? I have become pretty adept at throwing one together using a small food processor.

Dude, chimichurri sauce ROCKS!!!!! I love it with with any kind of beef!

Tonight I made one I favorite south American dishes.

"Chicken ala something or other".

sautéed chicken (I like dicing it) with Red, yellow and green peppers, yellow onion and garlic (minced and kept in olive oil). with a sauce made of equal parts of Sherry, tomato sauce and chicken stock. served over brown rice.
pared with my Pinot Noir. :db

My famous minestrone soup with homemade GF biscuits. Paired with Cheeky Monkey Cab/Merlot/Garnacha.

I decided this on my way into work this morning that I'm going to make meatloaf for dinner this evening. The twist to the meatloaf is after all the ground beef is mixed I roll it out like you would with a nutroll and I'll layer ham and pepperoni on the flat ground meat then roll it into a loaf. I may try a twist and add provalone cheese this time as well. This will be served with roasted potatoes.

I decided this on my way into work this morning that I'm going to make meatloaf for dinner this evening. The twist to the meatloaf is after all the ground beef is mixed I roll it out like you would with a nutroll and I'll layer ham and pepperoni on the flat ground meat then roll it into a loaf. I may try a twist and add provalone cheese this time as well. This will be served with roasted potatoes.

Whaaaat?!? Is that legal?
:HB

And Mike is correct, gluten free. They were actually worth mentioning because it was a new mix and it was AWESOME. They actually tasted kind of like biscuits! And they were FLUFFY!!! (For those who are Celiac or eat GF, you know why I'm so excited).

Had Hungarian beef stew (Perkert) and nokedli (Spaetzle)

Man, did it turn out great!

The stew..

Season 3 pounds of stew meat with salt and pepper. Get your stew pot screaming hot and add some olive oil. Brown the meat in several batches. The meat should have a nice dark color and nice brown bits in the bottom of the pot when finished.

Remove all meat from the pan. Lower heat to about a high-medium.

Gently sauté two large softball size onions (finely diced) until translucent.

Add a pound of sliced mushrooms and cook until they render their Juice.

Remove your pot from the heat and add 1/4 cup of good Hungarian paprika. You do this off the heat because you do not want to fry the paprika..

Add back in the meat. Add 1/2 red wine and stir.

Add 6 or 8 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds, a good shot of ground thyme, some dried thyme leaves. Stir.

If you have access to them, try to get some dried porcini mushrooms. I like to take a small palm full of them, crush them up with my fingers, and add directly into the pot. This really gives the flavor of the stew a boost.

Now the hard part. Cook at a very low simmer for 3 to 4 hours, stirring every 20 to 30 minutes. You will know when the stew is done when you have lost 2/3 of the volume and the stew is greatly thickened.

The spaetzle..

I like to make this in a stand mixer

combine 3 cups of flour, 4 eggs, a teaspoon of salt, and a dash of nutmeg.

Beat (all of the above) on low using a paddle attachment. As it mixes, slowly add milk until you have the right consistency (a very, very thick and sticky batter. if you dip a fork into it and then pull it out, you should have a "string" of batter stuck to it).

Continue beating for 5 or 10 minutes. Cover with a cloth and let the batter rest for an hour. Beat again for another 5 minutes.

I have a machine that is much like a mandolin, except a small bucket of batter is drawn over a series of holes. That, in turn falls into your pot of boiling water. If you really like spaetzle, it is well worth the money. Here is a picture of one...

Place machine over a pot of boiling water. Pour half the batter into the little bucket. slide the bucket back and forth until all of the batter in the bucket is gone.

Wait about 1 minute, gently stirring the spaetzle. At the end of 1 minute, use a slotted spoon to scoop the the spaetzle out of boiling water and immediately into a bowl of cold water. This stops the cooking.

Repeat the above for the remainder of the batter.

When all of the batter has been processed, pour the spaetzle into a strainer and rinse well in cold water. Rinsing the spatzle well will prevent them from sticking together later.

Drain well and enjoy.

Not sure, most likely hotel food this week. Will be in Buffalo all, but the up side is, the Marriott has a great restaurant

God I love spaetzle. Fried in butter an served with stew, or schnitzel, or pig knuckles... I like your idea of using a stand mixer, by hand that dough really works out the arms!

Tonight, in honor of cinco de mayo, it was chicken tacos with poblano peppers, Portobello mushrooms, and zucchini on homemade tortillas. Thought about beer but had a Joeswines inspired Amarone. Quite tasty.

Pancakes , eggs/cheese/sausage, gravy , biscutez..

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Son and son-in-law's shared birthday. Taking whole family out for white tablecloth dinner. Going to happy hour before with that WE Lodi Cabernet. I will give a review on the other thread later.

Tonight, we are picking up loads of seafood from Jamesngalveston's old company (still run by his family). So, tonight we will have lots of shrimp plus some boiled crawdads.

Crawfish-fabian-seafood.jpg

Latest posts

Back