What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, this time no frozen burgers...lol
When it comes to too many burgers on the grill I have to master this, a couple came up to medium rare, too pink for us....but they all tasted pretty good.
I tried to go indirect head on a tray but then decided to put them direct.

My reaction to your pic was that you were rockin' that grill! You look like a damn pro now.

Last edited:
Wifey out at a meeting this evening at a meeting, so my oldest daughter and I slummed it with reheated leftovers this evening. Prime ribeye from dinner at the camp Saturday, cheesy broccoli and cheese/bacon/sour cream potatoes from last night, and a bottle of 2014 Outpost Petite Sirah “The Other”. Leftovers were quite tasty, the wine is early in its drinking window, big, bold and fruity, very nice with the meal. It was very good, though I won’t open another for a few years, the tannins are still a bit gripping.
C7E4B82C-8599-4269-B1C1-4CD44CDD006E.jpeg

Little more work for dinner for 5 tonight, caprese salad, hamburger steak with brown gravy and onions, steamed sugar snap peas, and mashed taters with cheese. OK, not mashed taters, mashed cauliflower, stepson has type 1 diabetes, not much carb eating when he’s with us. Awesome wine tonight, 2014 Frank Family Winston Hill, two years into the window with 20 years to go. Wifeys bought me some Blue Bell, bout to hammer that when this glass on wine is gone.
854CEC1C-ECBF-41ED-BB7D-3081AEA24E04.jpeg

Mmmmmmmm......... Blue Bell

latest

... OK, not mashed taters, mashed cauliflower, stepson has type 1 diabetes...
Never thought about mashing up some cauliflower. My T1D-ers really like cauliflower, they just normally eat the taters and nix any bread to keep the carb count below 70 or so. I'll have to pass that one by them and maybe try that for a Thanksgiving side. Thanks for the idea (or in this part of the country "idear")!

Never thought about mashing up some cauliflower. My T1D-ers really like cauliflower, they just normally eat the taters and nix any bread to keep the carb count below 70 or so. I'll have to pass that one by them and maybe try that for a Thanksgiving side. Thanks for the idea (or in this part of the country "idear")!

Craig, you can find this in the frozen food section. We melt a little cheese in it, it’s pretty darn good.
image.jpg

MIL visited and she doesn't prefer to drive in the dark, so our "main" meal was at 1 PM. She brought some sweetened sweet potatoes (not my favorite food) and Waldorf salad for dessert. We had the standard 14.5 lb turkey, smashed taters (way too many left over), stuffing (separate so as to not contaminate the turkey with gluten), sourdough rolls (now a 14 day culture, really just hitting it's stride), green beans with garlic/bread crumbs/almonds (first time to make it, everyone ate it so it goes on the every week or two list) and a pumpkin pie that my wife made last night (she actually did the crust from scratch, I'm amazed).

Dessert for me was my oldest son calling from Georgia. He's at his friend Trevors' parents place for a few days (thought they lived in Alabama, turns out during the recent hurricane they stayed at his Uncle/Aunts house, my misunderstanding). Looking forward to him being home for the Christmas holiday, I pick him up in Bal-tee-more on the 15th of December and he gets to stay for two weeks!

I hope that all of you have a great Thanksgiving day! Time for me to do some....snore...snore...chores.

11-22-18_thanksgiving-1.jpg

11-22-18_thanksgiving-2.jpg

11-22-18_thanksgiving-3.jpg

11-22-18_thanksgiving-4.jpg

11-22-18_thanksgiving-5.jpg

For our T-day, we had Cornish game hens. (Not to worry, the dark markings on the breasts are sage leaves.) I dried and salted these the night before a la Cafe Zunni Chicken. I roasted them at full whack (450F) for 1/2 hr, then turned down to 350. They wound up a bit overdone, for which I am kicking myself.
Also, I roasted sweet potatoes, then whipped them with cream, butter, and nutmeg in a blender. This was great! I parboiled green beens, then sauteed them with bacon, and then blue cheese, before topping with roasted pecans. Finally, I made asparagus in the Oscar style; I made a Bearnaise sauce (reduced vinegar and white wine with shallots, chives, and chervil, and blended with melted butter and egg yolks). I broiled the 'grass, then warmed up snow crab meat in butter. I doled out the asparagus, added bunches of crab meat, then spoonfuls of Bearnaise sauce. This was the star of the show!

DSCN2284.jpg DSCN2288.jpg

DSCN2286.jpg

Last edited:
As we weren't hosting anything yesterday, we had kind of a lazy early day. Mrs Boatboy found some motivation and cleaned out the pantry, along with two closets. In the process, the pantry was made to look glorious and an old 'brick' of instant ramen noodles was unearthed. For lunch, I took those 'roasted chicken' noodles, left the seasoning out, and topped them with leftover turkey and gravy. Right after I started boiling the water, I was having second thoughts. But it turned out pretty OK. Could have used some green onion or something to brighten it a bit, but no complaints.

My work boss "suggested" that I take today off. Only need to be asked once, so I took the day off. Started up two sourdough pizza crusts yesterday and let them hang out in the fridge until earlier today. I must say that cooked in the oven @ 450*F on a pizza stone, this was my best crust in recent memory. Thin, had a nice crunch (but not overly brown on the bottom) with a nice chew in the middle. Wifey wanted some pepperoni on hers, I used some left over salami and sopressa on part of mine. Didn't really notice any overly sour notes even though both doughs raised using only the culture I've been growing for the last couple of weeks. Might try some New York style bagels tomorrow. Probably should mix up tonight since it takes at least 3x as long to raise using the culture (especially in a cold house).
11-23-18_pizza-1.jpg

11-23-18_pizza-2.jpg

Back