What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold and damp here today. 34 and rainy - Brrrrr! Haven't done it in forever, but just whipped up some French Toast.

Ummm, bacon!

Like your icon Mike, an oldie but goodie. I need to change mine now that I'm into year number four of wine making.

Had two big tubs of left over smashed taters, so asked my wife what she wanted to do with them. She suggested a sheppards pie type meal, so since she doesn't prefer lamb, did it with some ground beef (I think they refer to it as "country pie" in the U.K. if beef is used). Turned out pretty well, as you can see by the image of the leftovers. Both daughters were MIA for dinner, so my wife took care of most of what was missing. With a cold rain and wind around here, it was definitely comfort food (and more comfortable that I didn't have to grill on the porch).

11-24-18_dinner.jpg

I cheated this Thanksgiving and stayed home to relax and drink alone instead of going to the beach with the Family. I had a blast too, cooked enough to last till today.

I make a topping that is basically an artichoke/spinach dip kicked up with garlic, chopped shrimp, oyster liquor, shrimp stock, blue crab meat, three cheeses in a blond roux and holy trinity simmered with heavy whipping cream and seasoned well.

I used that to top roasted oysters, this time I added a new twist with some shrimp. They came out great but I made too much topping. We'll get to that later.
I usually use those foil crab shaped shells but couldn't find any in 2 stores so I used a muffin pan with foil. I put an oyster in the bottom then topped it with the dip sauce and more cheese, broiled enough to brown the top and the oyster cooked barely enough to release some oyster liquor.
100-3438.jpg

These are absolute flavor bombs! Juicy and crunchy at the same time.
100-3444.jpg

I put the shrimp and dip in a ramacan and baked it at 500 for a few minutes before broiling them to perfection.
It's like hot lava but so good served with french bread.
100-3445.jpg

Gooey spinach and cheese goodness.
100-3446.jpg

100-3449.jpg

It's addictive.
100-3448.jpg

So Tonight!!! I had a good sized container of the artichoke/shrimp/oyster topping from cooking on turkey day and decided I wanted to use it for a topping. I found a 10 minute pizza dough recipe and gave it a whirl. I added more yeast, garlic powder, oregano and let it rest longer. This was a 2 pizza recipe so I let it rest longer but it didn't make a difference.

100-3468.jpg

100-3471.jpg

100-3476.jpg

I just finished the other one, this is a plain Jane topping pizza. I didn't have pizza sauce so I used a can of Hunt's stewed halved tomatoes and used the juice on the crust and sliced the tomatoes then added onions, bells, mushroom, candied jalapenos topped with shredded moz and parm then grated some more parm.
100-3478.jpg

It wasn't bad for a cabinet pizza, lucky I still had pepperoni in the fridge.
100-3481.jpg

100-3482.jpg

I make a topping that is basically an artichoke/spinach dip kicked up with garlic, chopped shrimp, oyster liquor, shrimp stock, blue crab meat, three cheeses in a blond roux and holy trinity simmered with heavy whipping cream and seasoned well.

I used that to top roasted oysters, this time I added a new twist with some shrimp. ....

et cetera, et cetera, yadda yadda ya

Sweet Jesus! When can I stop by and stuff my maw!?!?! Looks fantastic!

No pix, but I made an extravagant version of eggs Benedict for brunch. I toasted the English muffins, then buttered them with truffle butter. Then put a piece of prosciutto in place of the Canadian bacon, and then the usual poached egg and Hollandaise sauce. For "dessert," we had papaya with toasted garlic, pecans, and lime juice.

I'm not sure what to call this: Thanksgiving hash, Thanksgiving Fried Rice, Thanksgiving succotash. Either way, it was way better than I expected. Took some leftover turkey and chopped it up. Had a cabbage my son had been growing and we harvested today. After some frost damage, what was left was small, but certainly useable. Added other leftovers, including: tri-colored carrots, green beans, some rice pilaf, egg whites left after we made banana cream pie. All was sautéed in the CI skillet and to finish, I tossed it with a little leftover gravy. Really good stuff!

IMG_7624.JPG

Some Kroger "Woo-Hoo" country-style pork ribs. Seasoned with smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic, etc., then baked at 250F for ~3 hours. Served with flageolet beans, cooked in ho-made smoky pork broth and seasoned with marjoram, garlic, butter, paprika, pepper, etc.; Brussels sprouts, seared in EVOO, then braised in chx broth; and mustard greens, blanched then sauteed in EVOO with fresh garlic and braised with sherry.

DSCN2305.jpg DSCN2306.jpg

Do you have a rail car outback of EVOO? LOL

Absolutely! It is essentially the only oil we use. We like to joke that we "have hot and cold running olive oil at our house." We buy it in 3-liter tins, and they don't last that long!

I won't be able to find the exact reference, so I will paraphrase something from "Under the Tuscan Sun." As you probably know, this is the story of an American woman (who is a good cook) who moves to Italy. She is a little miffed that her cooking is not measuring up to that of the locals. At one point, she asks all of her friends how much EVOO they go through in a month. When all of her friends give answers that are 3 to 5 times as much as she uses, she begins to suspect the reason for their superior performance! :b

Those noodles look awesome, I'm a ramen/Asian food junkie!

I didn't cook turkey this year so I call that lucky I didn't have to eat leftovers for a few days.

Last night I cook smothered down turkey wings. This is one of my favorite dishes, the flavor is like giblet gravy on steroids. Field peas and asparagus topped with grated parm for sides.
100-3489.jpg

Tonight was fried chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes, total comfort food.
100-3493.jpg

A friend got married today, and we went out to an excellent small-plates restaurant to celebrate. Oh my lord we had some tasty food. I had parts of the following (shared among many people):

Pan-seared quail
Seared scallops with lentils, beurre blanc, and caviar
pork belly and clam Korean pancake
Smoked duck breast with lemon and tsatsiki
Moroccan spiced lamb and spicy pepper sauce
Galantine of chicken with a Calvados cream sauce and tarragon
Braised Italian short rib with giardiniera
Lemon risotto
West African peanut stew
Burrata cheese with red pepper relish

I don't think there were any bad dishes in the bunch!

Back