What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a lull in the workload today, so took a half day (had an earlier doctors appt. that would have made me work late to make up time). Got my hairs on my head cut, foraged for some baby back ribs and a nice top round roast for the weekend at the local Giant, then headed home to clean up some bottles to bottle a couple of batches tomorrow. Had made pizza dough last night and put it in the fridge. Split it in two for two personal pizzas, one for me and one for my youngest daughter. Wifey out to dinner and shopping with a friend, oldest daughter shopping with a friend and younger son is GF. Her's was a straight up cheese pizza, mine a green pepper/onion/anchovy. Did both of them on the pizza stone (warmed up for about 2 hours, then cooked on convection a @450*F). Crust was better than I though it would be, didn't puff up and had a really nice tooth to it.

11-30-18_pizza-1.jpg

11-30-18_pizza-2.jpg

Making some Anadama bread for the "girls" for toast in the morning. Interesting recipe.

No pix. I roasted broccoli and served with sauteed garlic/lemon/capers/EVOO; boiled artichoke with lemon and butter; boiled orzo with parsley; and Patagonian red shrimp, cooked briefly in the orzo water, then heated in a beurre blanc sauce (reduced ho-made Chardonnay, shallots, and butter). All washed down with copious amounts of more Master Vintner Chardonnay.

Grilled on the porch (under cover, rains set in pretty early). Can tell I haven't been grilling too much lately as I let the sirloin roast get a bit overdone (walked out on the porch to find it was up to 137*F (it was 120*F I swear 3 minutes earler)). Very little red coloring left in the roast, but it was tender. Seasoned overnight with kosher salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic. Served with red skinned taters in butter and parsley, plus some green beaners in olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, almonds and some GF bread crumbs. Pretty good meal for a Saturday, looking at some baby back ribs tomorrow as it's supposed to get in the mid 60's in the afternoon. Woo hoo!

12-1-18_dinner-1.jpg

12-1-18_dinner-2.jpg

12-1-18_dinner-3.jpg

Snowing like crazy today. Making spirits bright...... except if you want to cook outdoors! I think I will toss a nice tri-tip into the pool in a little while and then finish it off with a quick reverse sear on the gas grill. If I can end up with a steak as pretty as the one as @Boatboy24 did a few weeks back I will be a happy camper. Gonna use some of my favorite seasonings (Fiesta) out of San Antonio. They make a "Uncle Chris's Steak Seasoning (Ruth's Chris knock off) and see how it turns out.

fullsizeoutput_3ced.jpeg

8d08ca82-4256-4efa-9746-735645cb5825_1.32b6d12903aba2f7fe8f1b7af410d121.jpeg

Not as purdy as @Boatboy24 but it was delish. I think the 4 Tbsp of butter helped! About 5 hours at 130F and then 4 minutes a side on the grill to get some nice char. IT was a perfect 136F in the center and about 138F on the ends. Had smashed ho-made taters and wedge salad with bleu cheese crumbles dressing.

IMG_3819.JPG

I do love hotpot meals and Japanese Shabu Shabu is one of my favorites. This is communal eating at is best as you share the boiling pot and quickly cook your food in it. This one is all vegetarian and the broth is made from dried shiitake mushrooms and konbu (seaweed). My dipping sauce is made with tahini and soy. At the end the even more flavored broth is used to cook noodles.

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

IMG_8365.JPG

IMG_7648.JPG IMG_7650.JPG Kind of a summertime meal, despite flurries today. 'Taco Shrimp Salad'. Basically sautéed up some shrimp with ho-made taco seasoning. Spring mix, yellow pepper, cuke, avocado, black beans and cherry tomato. Dressed simply with lime juice, EVOO, S&P. Had a little baguette w/ butter on the side.

Here is a catch-up (NOT catsup or ketchup!) from the other night:

Broiled swordfish steak, served with Marcella Hazen's divine salmariglio sauce (salt, lemon, EVOO, garlic, marjoram); roasted cauliflower (butter, cumin, garlic); roasted squash (coriander, butter); and mustard greens (blanched, then sauteed with lots of garlic and lots of EVOO).

DSCN2307.jpg DSCN2309.jpg DSCN2310.jpg DSCN2312.jpg

just a note to all, I'm lucky enough to view all these pictures of yours on a 27" 4k iMac and the quality of pictures, in general, is really outstanding. Half of them look to be taken from the pages of printed cookbooks.
I'm assuming they're all take on phones and have to give a share of credit to technology but still, Great Job All!
Mike

just a note to all, I'm lucky enough to view all these pictures of yours on a 27" 4k iMac and the quality of pictures, in general, is really outstanding. Half of them look to be taken from the pages of printed cookbooks.
I'm assuming they're all take on phones and have to give a share of credit to technology but still, Great Job All!
Mike

The tech is great. I have to say, I love the pics I get w/ my iPhone X.

Back