What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard the Australian version is cheaper.

I'm dying to give Wagyu a try, my bday is Dec. 6 so better start looking....will check local super markets to see what's out here close by...

It also looks like people don't sear Wagyu on direct flames, but indirect ?

I think you could sear it without issue just remember it has a lot of fat so its going to flame up and you may have to close off all vents to keep it from charing too much at some point. Main thing is you just do not want to overcook it. Keep your temp probe handy. That would be a complete waste of $$$ if it were to be overcooked.

This is a pretty good depiction of the marbling difference I see in the stores. If you have a Kroger or Kroger owned branded store in your neck of the woods like BB and I do that Ribeye is probably going to be the best bang for the buck for a special occasion steak. I would have them cut you something a little thicker than what is in the meat counter. That way you get a fresh cut instead of something that has gone back and forth for who knows how many days.

5dcc80fcb7f73fad0683d889bceeeff6.png

Definitely not A5. Its not even from Japan at that price. Next time I am up in town I will ask the guy behind the counter to pull out a pack of uncut so I can look at it for a Label and scan it for a Country of Origin.

Here is an online store selling American Waygu (Idaho) and it is still an outrageous price.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/ribeye/traditional-ribeye.html

SRF has great stuff, but the NY Strips at Wegs look more like the Kobe in your 2nd pic than the SRF Ribeye. And at $89 for ~1.2lbs, their price isn't that far off.

Not sure the diff between Kobe and Wagyu, TBH. But I will say those strip steaks were incredible. Haven't done one in a few years - maybe for my half birthday next weekend. :i

Wagyu is the breed of the cow; it can be raised anywhere. "Kobe" is reserved for Wagyu cows raised near Kobe, Japan, following the appropriate "DOC" regulations.

I have a Kroger-owned store near me. They often have Choice steaks for small money, and, being a cheap SOB, that is what I generally "spring for." A couple of times in recent months I scored a grass-fed, organic, prime steak at the same store on sale ("Woo-hoo," for the cognescenti). It looked like Mike's Wagyu picture above. Oh my Lord it was good. We generally split a steak between the DW and me. I generally cut the steak into pieces, separate the cap muscle from the NY Strip muscle, and keep track of which is which; I save the cap muscle for last (best for last). Well, when we had the prime steak, I was eating a piece of the NY Strip muscle, and I was bummed out that I had (I thought) accidentally eaten my piece of the cap muscle first. As it turns out, of course, it was the NY Strip muscle, and it was just that much better than a normal (Choice) NY Strip muscle. The cap muscle was out of this world. I should really just pony up the $20/lb for the Prime more often!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a similar experience, also as a spinalis lover, but not a big fan of the NY strip. Fresh Market had some prime strips, marbled like the Wagyu, and I gave them a try. Incredibly tasty and tender piece of meat, but haven’t seen them again since.....

I've posted this before, but it fits in here. Here is a picture I took in Japan about 4 years ago. If I did my math right, that price of Y5000/100g works out to about $980/lb. [EDIT: I did not do the math correctly. It is about $200/lb. See note below.]

True story: My brother (who is a bit of an alcoholic) was opining once how fantastic it would be to be a Wagyu cow in Kobe.
Him:"They feed you a lot, they massage you every day, and they give you sake to drink."
Me: "Yeah, but then they kill you and eat your flesh!"
Him: "Yeah, there is that...."

kobe.jpg

Last edited:
US dollars???

Oops. I was wrong. I woke up in the pre-dawn hours, and my little brain said "Wait! I think you got that price wrong on WMT!" Brains are funny.

It turns out that I put the factor of 2.2 (the number of pounds a kilo weighs) in the numerator instead of the denominator. So the price actually works out to right around $200/lb. Sorry.

Oops. I was wrong. I woke up in the pre-dawn hours, and my little brain said "Wait! I think you got that price wrong on WMT!" Brains are funny.

It turns out that I put the factor of 2.2 (the number of pounds a kilo weighs) in the numerator instead of the denominator. So the price actually works out to right around $200/lb. Sorry.

Big difference, but STILL way too expensive for this guy still relying on a pay check....:)

Mishima Reserve has their online store up and running. They are located in WA State and I can buy their Waygu hamburger meat locally. And yes I can pick it up every week or so "woo hoo" priced. :db It taste like budder as they say.

Not exactly cheap but they do offer three different grades.

https://www.mishimareserve.com/shop

Thank you for all of the nice beef images. I feel like I spent way too much just looking and I didn't spend a thing. I think I'll stick to chicken stir frys and ground turkey enchilladas until I hit the lottery, which I rarely play.

I spent a whopping $50 on mine so can I borrow that 5200 sometime? LOL

Assume you are talking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRSCVF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If so that looks like a top of the line sealer to me.

Costco has one on sale (instant rebate) now that looks pretty good also:

https://www.costco.com/FoodSaver-2-in-1-Vacuum-Sealing-System.product.100428458.html

My cheap one does the trick but sometimes I have to open it and make sure everything is just right (perfectly flat, no creases) or it won't seal. They might all be that way for all I know.

I spent a whopping $50 on mine so can I borrow that 5200 sometime? LOL

Assume you are talking about this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRSCVF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If so that looks like a top of the line sealer to me.

Costco has one on sale (instant rebate) now that looks pretty good also:

https://www.costco.com/FoodSaver-2-in-1-Vacuum-Sealing-System.product.100428458.html

My cheap one does the trick but sometimes I have to open it and make sure everything is just right (perfectly flat, no creases) or it won't seal. They might all be that way for all I know.

That's the one. I know it'll have a lot more uses but the reason I started looking is I just bought 1000 corks and want to package them in 50 unit packages like @Boatboy24 does. It also has this little pull out vaccuum thing that if it has enough hg's, which I cannot find, could be rigged up to vaccuum degas. The AIO I believe is 22-25. But other than that, bring on the Wagyu.

My cheapie came with a hose attachment but looks like you have to buy special food containers and or wine bottle stoppers if you wanted to add more uses.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 4.23.38 PM.png

That's the one. I know it'll have a lot more uses but the reason I started looking is I just bought 1000 corks and want to package them in 50 unit packages like @Boatboy24 does. It also has this little pull out vaccuum thing that if it has enough hg's, which I cannot find, could be rigged up to vaccuum degas. The AIO I believe is 22-25. But other than that, bring on the Wagyu.

Latest posts

Back