What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was mudbugs (prepared and spiced by local Krogers, I just had to steam them to warm 'em up), corn on the cob, and green beans/onions/mushrooms/tomatoes/garlic, simmered into a comfy mess of a dish, seasoned with marjoram. @Johnd, these 'bugs had huge claws -- so big that I actually took to getting a small morsel of meat from the bigger claws; is that normal? Do you ever bother with crawdad claws? It was a first for me!

Actually, some folks do bother, the meat is normally much more tender, as claw meat always is. As we approach the midpoint to the end of the season, and the size increases, the big claws are quite prevalent, and it’s common to see people eating them when they’re big like that.

pkL1cjy.0.0.png

Funny, I made chicken parmesan the other night! I went sorta all out, dredged in flour, egg wash, panko, then fried up to golden brown, then baked with ho-made tomato sauce from fresh Roma tomatoes. Covered with pecorino cheese for variety. Good luck with yours, Mike!

Tonight we had: red potatoes, simmered then roasted with EVOO, garlic and herbs (thyme, rosemary) until crispy; escarole sauteed in EVOO with lots of garlic, then braised in sherry; a salad with ho-made dressing; and pan-fried lake trout (marinated in soy/lime, then seared in EVOO, and topped with cilantro) smothered in beurre rouge (a reduction of shallots, balsamic vinegar, and ho-made CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot wine, mounted with butter). All washed down with ho-made Viognier from a juice bucket.

Damnit, you guys make me really want so many different foods because for the most part you guys are more adventurous cooks than me. LOL

Damnit, you guys make me really want so many different foods because for the most part you guys are more adventurous cooks than me. LOL

If it makes you feel better, we just did burgers last night. Bacon cheeseburgers cooked over charcoal and a kiss of cherry smoke. Topped w/ ketchup, mayo, romaine and heirloom tomato.

Mrs. IB's 59th BD yesterday. Had off so made dinner. Made Ho-made Chicken Parm and Olive Garden styled house salad. Got a little carried away with the fresh mutz but nobody seemed to mind. Paired really well with a nice bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. Desert was her favorite Key Lime Pie (not Ho-made)

IMG_3542.jpg

OG-Salad-Dressing-1-700x471.jpg

If it makes you feel better, we just did burgers last night. Bacon cheeseburgers cooked over charcoal and a kiss of cherry smoke. Topped w/ ketchup, mayo, romaine and heirloom tomato.
Still sounds amazing. lol

Mrs. IB's 59th BD yesterday. Had off so made dinner. Made Ho-made Chicken Parm and Olive Garden styled house salad. Got a little carried away with the fresh mutz but nobody seemed to mind. Paired really well with a nice bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. Desert was her favorite Key Lime Pie (not Ho-made)

OG-Salad-Dressing-1-700x471.jpg

Hey Mike: do you have a recipe for that, or just wing it? More interested in the dressing - you can see what's in the salad just by looking. :D

Happy birthday, Mrs IB! Looks like you had a great birthday dinner.

LOL!

You also have to buy the tasteless black olives that you ate when you were a kid growing up during the Holiday's. Really just "bag o salad" thin sliced red onions, peperoncini peppers, tomatoes, croutons, shredded parm sprinkled on top and toss to incorporate everything.

LOL!

You also have to buy the tasteless black olives that you ate when you were a kid growing up during the Holiday's. Really just "bag o salad" thin sliced red onions, peperoncini peppers, tomatoes, croutons, shredded parm sprinkled on top and toss to incorporate everything.

EasyButton_000041112260_Medium.jpg

LOL!

My oldest daughter loves that stuff!

Did a short course called "The Art of Marriage" with my wife the last two days. Didn't have a lot of time today to cook, so mixed up a meatloaf, wifey making some sort of smashed taters (1/2 russet, 1/2 new potatoes). Hopefully doing a boneless turkey breast tomorrow on the kettle. Will have to hang out on the porch since it's supposed to rain quite a bit (up to 3").

Portrait of partially cooked meatloaf:

9-8-18_meatloaf.jpg

1/2 chuck, 1/2 ground pork. Will probably have to drain 1/2 way through cook. Should be nice and juicy though, even without wrapping in bacon (which the recipe called for). Coating is a mixture Heinz ketchup, honey, Worchestershire sauce and cumin which is applied after cooking meatloaf for 10 minutes. Part left uncovered for the finicky youngest daughter.

Last edited:
Got a call at work around 9:30 this morning. Daughter's hand and a kicked soccer ball had an unpleasant union. Looked to the school nurse and me that she had busted it. Went to the doctor, she wants to wait a few days and see if the swelling subsides w/o major bruising. Turns out she likes to limit radiation from x-rays to younger ones. The long of the short is that I took a 1/2 day off, didn't want to drive back to work for an hour or two, so went to the local Weis and found a few potential items for dinner. One was a partial eye round roast (2.99/lb - decent price) so seasoned up the roast (kosher salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, garlic, more garlic, garlic to taste), stuck it in the fridge for a few hours, then fired up the kettle grill. Made some twice baked taters (red stuff is smoked paprika, for me), will probably serve with a salad and some maters since my potted tomato plant in the front of the house finally started ripening a few maters the last few days. Been cool and wet, surprised they didn't just rot.

9-11-18_beef.jpg

9-11-18_taters.jpg

9-11-18_maters.jpg

Edit: Sandwich and beef turned out fantastic. Still some pink and very juicy, but not so rare the "girls" wouldn't eat it. A little pecan smoke flavor was a nice accent to the beefiness. Yum!

9-11-18_beef-sandwich.jpg

Last edited:
A few dishes I’ve made lately.

Fava beans and a nice Marquette.

IMG_7515.JPG

Spanish style potato stew with tomato sauce and paprika.

IMG_7508.JPG

Pinto bean and quinoa burger with Thai green papaya salad. Complete with home made spicy Caruso from garden tomatoes.

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7463.JPG

Fried rice with Korean cucumber salad.

IMG_7423.JPG

Pinto beans and fermented cayenne hot sauce in spaghetti squash.

IMG_7395.JPG

Italian pickled eggplant.

IMG_7405.JPG

Fish Veracruz....made the sauce last night, so much better the next day. Served over rice with corn on the cob just because it needs to be eaten, a cole side salad, and a Gewurztraminer or how ever you spell that white German vine.

Back