What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork ribs tonight. I pushed the "easy button" and used a base layer of Sriracha, then topped with my normal, home-brewed dry-rub mixture. (It was "easy" because I already had enough dry-rub mix for this, but not if I didn't use the sriracha.) Baked at 250 for a few hours, then finished on the grill. Sides were Swiss chard (sauteed with onions, braised with ho-made beef stock, seasoned with coriander); corn-off-the-cob (grilled, then sauteed with butter, garlic, and chipotle); and artichoke (steamed/simmered, then finished on the grill). Washed this down with some local Oktoberfest beer and my ho-made WE Selection Petit Verdot (meh!!) wine.

DSCN2198.jpg DSCN2199.jpg

Thursday night......... I mean Friday night! Only 4 more days until I turn in my badge, they revoke my "Q" clearance and I sign a piece of paper and swear not to disclose/divulge anything I might have learnt in the last 33 years in exchange for paying me a very nice sum each month for as long as I live and then for as long as Mrs IB lives after that .........

OK sounds good to me!

Made Shrimp Tacos with creamy jalapeño cilantro cole slaw. Did not suck!

IMG_3575.jpg

Thursday night......... I mean Friday night! Only 4 more days until I turn in my badge, they revoke my "Q" clearance and I sign a piece of paper and swear not to disclose/divulge anything I might have learnt in the last 33 years in exchange for paying me a very nice sum each month for as long as I live and then for as long as Mrs IB lives after that .........

OK sounds good to me!

Made Shrimp Tacos with creamy jalapeño cilantro cole slaw. Did not suck!
Can you divulge the wine you paired with that, or is that part of the "Q" clearance information you can't disclose?

Happy to report the wine was "unclassified"........

Paired perfectly with a bottle of the RJS LR Argentinian "Carrusel" Chardonnay-Viognier which mine was just off dry so a little sweetness to balance the little bit of heat from the shrimp and cole slaw.

Happy to report the wine was "unclassified"........

Paired perfectly with a bottle of the RJS LR Argentinian "Carrusel" Chardonnay-Viognier which mine was just off dry so a little sweetness to balance the little bit of heat from the shrimp and cole slaw.

I like my Carrusel, but don't love it.

Congrats on you retirement, Mike! I'm jealous. At 49, I've got a way to go, but the rat race is starting to get very old.

BTW: How'd you do the shrimp?

At 49, I've got a way to go, but the rat race is starting to get very old.
Good, only 49. You need to keep working, maybe think about some more overtime. The boys are getting older, they'll understand. Need those SS taxes rolling in to keep my SS check above 62% that I'm expecting at this point. The lottery thing hasn't worked out too well yet...

I have you by a decade Jim. I wish I could last a couple more years but its just not worth it anymore. Too much BS. As someone said years ago. We are striving for a "Work Free Safe Zone". For everyone trying to get some work done, there are like nine pencil pushers with no experience in the lab trying to stop you from doing anything productive at all. I am all for safety but we have tipped the balance/scales so far that I am literally scratching my head most days....

I used this recipe I found:

https://www.wellplated.com/shrimp-tacos/

And today whilst looking for "Woo Hoo" deals (LOL) I spotted these shrimps. OMG they were amazing!

large_e7dfd0b6-1242-4b74-b7ff-a26ae9fe6e7d.jpeg

I like my Carrusel, but don't love it.

Congrats on you retirement, Mike! I'm jealous. At 49, I've got a way to go, but the rat race is starting to get very old.

BTW: How'd you do the shrimp?

I found a Woo-Hoo special on an organic, grass-fed ribeye. It was still $12/lb (marked down from $20), which is generally a little rich for my blood. But boy it was good. I dry-brined the steak, then grilled it over high heat. Other elements included: Great Northern beans with sauteed onions, liquid smoke, and cilantro; braised lacinato kale with red pepper flakes and braised in ho-made beef stock; and Romanesco broccoli, roasted at high temps in the oven, served with roasted garlic, lemon zest, chopped capers, and lemon juice. All washed down with a Mockingbird Hill Sonoma red wine blend. Yum!!DSCN2204.jpgDSCN2208.jpgDSCN2209.jpgDSCN2210.jpg

Last edited:
WTSO? I'm a fan of those wines. I've bought a few of them.

Yes, WTSO it was. I also have enjoyed some of these offerings in the past, so last time it was on WTSO I bought 8. This one is a 2015 blend from Sonoma of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc, and Merlot. (So, a Meritage, I guess, but without paying the Meritage licensing fee :) )

Considering the jumbo "fresh" (frozen) were the exact same price/lb and they were from India or Thailand caught or grown in waters containing who knows what these "wild caught" Shrimps from way down under were a no brainer. Might be my go to (raw) shrimps from now on. No bad seafood (old/dead) smell when thawed. They are kind of hard to find in my local Smith's (Kroger) as they are off to the side of the fresh meat display in an upright freezer where they keep frozen Turkey's and other odds and ends and not in the main display case where most of the frozen shrimp are kept.

As evidenced in my post quoted above, I agree that those Argentinian/Patagonian shrimp were awesome!

I went to buy fresh Gulf shrimp today from @jamesngalveston's old company today. I had decided on shrimp for dinner tonight, but then they had fresh, Gulf-caught red snapper. I decided that was better eaten fresh! I marinated it in EVOO, garlic, and fresh marjoram, then grilled it whole. This was the first time I grilled a whole fish, I must admit. I followed timing recommendations from a well-respected seafood cookbook (James Peterson), but it was a bit overdone. Not ruined, but just a bit overdone, and was served with EVOO and lemon. I also made leeks (sauteed in butter, then baked with ho-made beef stock); seafood risotto (made with ho-made crab stock); and spinach (sauteed with lots of garlic and EVOO); and leftover artichoke halves. All washed down with ho-made Viognier.

DSCN2212.jpg DSCN2214.jpg DSCN2215.jpg

Last night's carb-heavy meal ahead of this morning's half marathon. BSCB's marinated in a white balsamic vinaigrette, then grilled over charcoal. Angel hair pasta tossed with fresh basil, cracked tellicherry pepper, EVOO and lots of parmesan and lemon zest. Finished off with a simple salad, tossed in Caesar dressing.

fullsizeoutput_386d.jpeg

We had some other things going on around dinnertime, so I decided to cook lots of things that needed a long, slow cooking time. Main course was beef short ribs braised in wine (Bogle Merlot) and ho-made beef stock with lots of mushrooms, thyme, and onions. Sides were: sauteed eggplant and leeks with lots of EVOO, seasoned with fresh marjoram; Italian beans (or broad beans) and sauteed onions and garlic, braised with sherry and San Marzano tomatoes, seasoned with coriander and fennel seed; and some boring brown (Wehani) rice. Washed down with some commercial Merlots documented elsewhere.

DSCN2219.jpg DSCN2220.jpg DSCN2222.jpg

My Grandfather of English descent was a copper miner in the UP of Michigan in the early 20th century. My Finnish grandmother learned the traditional ways of making Cornish pasties for the miners which is a signature dish of upper Michigan. I have very fond memories of enjoying my grandma’s pasties on warm summer evenings outside of Houghton during our summer vacations. I was craving her pasties and made this vegan version. My grandma would add carrots, which many Cornish folks would find absolutely atrocious. I left out the beef and the carrots opting for a more traditional Swede (rutabaga) and potato pie. It is not a pasty without rutabagas. I am firmly in the ketchup camp when it comes to topping my pasties. Gravy is simply blasphemy.

IMG_7617.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG

IMG_7616.JPG

Needed to mow after work last night and options were limited. I found an aging ribeye cap steak in the freezer and dumped it into the SV while I mowed and got cleaned up. After about 2 hours, it hit the grill. Served it up w/ a basic salad. A little decadent for a weeknight meal, but it was delicious. And I guess I was sort of celebrating, as I learned I would not be getting some bad news at work that I thought might be coming.

IMG_7447.jpg

Latest posts

Back