What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is when I put the tiles in in 2009. I have never taken them out. They are seasoned well now. Just unglazed quarry tile with no lead purchased from a home improvement store.

IMG_6756.jpg

Celebrated my wifes 48th birthday tonight (it was actually Tuesday but she had class, I had a baseball game for my son, you know how that one goes if you have kids). She requested steak and twice baked potatoes. Went all week hunting for steak, but found that I was going to have to buy a whole strip or loin to get a good price. Last night my wife went to pick up our oldest daughter (long story) and the Mom gave my wife a bag of goodies. She works for a stock yard and gets beef as a benefit often, so she gave us some of her frozen benefit to clear some space in her freezer. Low and behold there were 6 porterhouse steaks in the bag (God works in strange ways at times). So we had some steak, which is a rarity around these parts with four kids and two type I diabetics.

Definitely made my Wife's evening! Gluten free chocolate cake with vanilla icing so all could enjoy.

4-23-16_dinner.jpg

4-23-16_dessert.jpg

Getting ready to put some corn on the cob onto the grill, followed by some balsamic chicken. Complemented w/ some Angel Hair tossed w/ garlic, parm, lemon zest and parsley.

Getting ready to put some corn on the cob onto the grill, followed by some balsamic chicken. Complemented w/ some Angel Hair tossed w/ garlic, parm, lemon zest and parsley.

I saw some corn on the cob in our local Giant today. Where in the heck is that from? Wasn't marked like it usually is. Almost bought that instead of the broccoli, 'cause it actually looked really good, albeit small. Let us know how it tasted if you get a chance.

I saw some corn on the cob in our local Giant today. Where in the heck is that from? Wasn't marked like it usually is. Almost bought that instead of the broccoli, 'cause it actually looked really good, albeit small. Let us know how it tasted if you get a chance.

Got it at Giant, actually. It was the pre-husked, wrapped in cellophane on top of styrofoam kind, but it did say "Produce of USA"

And yes, it is a little small.

Got it at Giant, actually. It was the pre-husked, wrapped in cellophane on top of styrofoam kind, but it did say "Produce of USA"

And yes, it is a little small.

Well, when you post your pictures later, please include a critique of the corn, please. Having a spiral ham tomorrow, corn on the cob might get the kids excited about that meal.

Corn was weak. But what do you expect this early? (well, that and I wasn't paying close attention)

IMG_3697.jpg

I had a good friend and her father over He was going to make a pot roast, so I offered to cook it sous vide and invite them over. I also made braised lacinto (or Tuscan) kale, lemon-glazed carrots, and roasted wedges of rosemary/garlic potato. Yum yum!

Bought a spiral ham at the local Giant. One of the "Natures Promise" hams without anything artificial and Gluten Free. Followed the directions and rewarmed in the oven for a little over two hours. House smells really good!

Picked my first small batch of asparagus. A whopping 5.5 ounces. Marinating in some olive oil, oregano and fresh grated garlic. Will grill and hide from the kids (it's all mine). In a normal year I'll pick about 50-60 lbs during late April and the month of May. Some trees are shading my 15+ year old plot, so the trees will be disappearing as soon as I can get my younger brother over here to help me take them down.

Also in the mix, green beans, baked sweet potatoes and a couple of regular baked potatoes (my youngest daughter and I detest sweet potatoes).

4-24-16_ham-boner.jpg

4-24-16_asparagas.jpg

4-24-16_finished-plate.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back