What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
London Broil on the gas grill, twice baked taters and salad. Here are the before images, but I forgot to take the after images until it was too late. No meat left and only one tater left. Then my 17 yr old son did the dishes and that became his trophy. Very rare that their aren't any leftovers. Might get good at this quantity thing by the time they all leave the house.

Care to share your twice baked potato recipe?

Care to share your twice baked potato recipe?

That's an easy (and variable) one. Fork potatoes a few times and bake in the oven as if you were going to eat them whole (usually 350*F for 1 hr +/- a few minutes, check to see if fork tender). Let cool slightly and cut in 1/2 length wise, remove flaky interior to a mixing bowl. At a minimum, add salt, pepper, melted butter, sour cream, then use milk sparingly and basically make them into mashed potatoes of your desired thickness (if you want them incredibly creamy I've used half and half in place of the milk, yum). Other additives could be fresh garlic, Romano cheese, fresh chives etc (actually any cheese, mozzarella is good too). Place the goodies back into the skins (heaping) and if desired sprinkle with paprika. I didn't on the last batch because only one kid likes them that way. I've been known to make them a few hours ahead or even the day before, cover with plastic wrap and stick in the fridge. When it comes time to cook, remove plastic wrap and just toss in the oven at 375*F to 400*F for about 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. If you leave them in longer and add some cheese to the top and let it brown they are really good.

Basics tonight. Grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast with Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Jasmine rice. Basic salad. It'll be good, but the 2014 Chilean Viognier is by far the star of the show. :p

Tonight was Walleye Meunière, leftover seafood risotto, and a random internet recipe called Loubieh bil Zeit, which is basically onions and green beens braised in a tomato-based sauce. All very tasty!

Paul,
We don't have walleye down here, but I've had it. Every year I make a pheasant hunting trip in Aberdeen, SD, and on the last day, they serve fried pheasant and walleye for lunch. I look forward to eating that fish all year long, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.......

Paul,
We don't have walleye down here, but I've had it. Every year I make a pheasant hunting trip in Aberdeen, SD, and on the last day, they serve fried pheasant and walleye for lunch. I look forward to eating that fish all year long, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.......

I totally hate to admit this, but this was my first-ever walleye. I am not a native to the midwest, and I grew up (sadly) not liking seafood. (Long story -- I am trying to make up for lost time!) I was completely surprised at how mild walleye was -- not at all fishy. Yesterday's example was delightful. I hope you have a good meal in Aberdeen!

Nothing fancy for a week night. Rotisserie chicken, steamed asparagus, and left over roasted root vegetables. Paired like crazy well with a bottle of the 2015 RJS RQ "Vino Blanco" from Espana.

IMG_1051.jpg

I reported on my wines from last night, but I was too sodden to report on my dinner. Let me rectify that. I made pork cutlets in the style of veal milanese. (So, "pork milanese"?) I took pork loin chops, deboned them, pounded them thin into escalopes, dredged in flour, then in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, and pan-fried until golden and crispy. Paired with Angel Hair pasta cooked in the style of cacio e pepe, a minimalist pasta preparation all done in a skillet, and a sauce of oil/garlic/butter/lemon/capers/parsley plus parmigiano cheese. Perhaps the nicest part of the meal was fresh fava beans (Yay springtime!!), blanched, shelled, and sauteed with lots of garlic and oil, and served with more cheese.

My bride is going away tomorrow for a business trip, so I tried to make her favorites for dinner tonight. We enjoyed lamb loin chops, marinated in thyme/garlic/rosemary/EVOO, then sauteed to medium rare. Sides were baked sweet potatoes and sauteed-then-braised broccoli rabe and garlic. Salad included her all-time favorite green, viz., Mâche (aka Lamb's lettuce), and avocado and homemade dressing.

Funnily enough, she is leaving tomorrow morning, and her identical twin is arriving in the afternoon for a few-days long visit. Perhaps I won't even notice my wife is gone! :::i;):?

Paul,
Every year I make a pheasant hunting trip in Aberdeen, SD.......
The wife and I were driving home from Pittsburgh two weeks ago, and a pheasant flew across the road in front of us.
First one I've seen in the wild for years.
A disease wiped them out several years ago.

I made pork cutlets in the style of veal milanese. (So, "pork milanese"?) I took pork loin chops, deboned them, pounded them thin into escalopes, dredged in flour, then in eggs, then in breadcrumbs, and pan-fried until golden and crispy.

To us of German/Austrian/Hungarian descent, that is called Viener Snitzel Vom Schwein . I guess it is the sauce that makes it a Milanese.. :)

NOW YOU DID IT!!! I have not made snitzel in months and now I am craving it big time! Thanks a lot SG!!!.. :)

I make snitzel by first making my own bread crumbs. This is a must! Take fresh bread, break into small pieces, and toast in the oven (on a sheet pan) until light and hard. Run the pieces through a food processor and Sift the crumbs through a strainer. This produces fine, flour-like bread crumbs.

Once the crumbs are made, I take a pork loin and cut into 1.5 inch thick medallions. I then pound each medallion into the stone age. I have a "Thor's Hammer" meat mallet for just this purpose. When I am done pounding, each snitzel is about 10 inches wide and so thin that you can see light through them.

Then it is salt/pepper/flour/egg wash/breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown (rather quick in hot oil given how thin they are). The meat shrinks up a bit in the pan, so the breading "wrinkles" up. This and the fact that it is large enough to hang off the plate are tell-tale signs of a good snitzel.

I serve this with a TON of fresh Lemons, some spaetzle, and some red cabbage.

The problem is that I am too busy Saturday to make this. It will have to wait until sunday... :(

Looks good Greg but where's the meat????

John, pay attention! There may be a quiz later! :)

In an effort to better my health I am taking a little time off of animal products. That doesn't mean I don't get to eat! Last night's fare was a whole wheat dough that has been fermenting for several days topped with an avocado garlic "sauce", baby portobellos and red bell pepper.

View attachment 28258

We also enjoyed a wonderful bean and rice dish for lunch yesterday.

View attachment 28259

John, pay attention! There may be a quiz later! :)

Hey, Pork is my favorite vegetable!!! ..

(Actually, I miss that post of yours. Sorry).

images

images

We had a special prerelease party for our best customers and local wine merchants last night. It was a smashing success and I went all out making food.

Ok, I DID have a bite of this bbq pulled pork. It was delicious.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729110.765783.jpg

And some meats and cheeses.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729231.925394.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729243.792312.jpg

I dug into all the veggie options too.

Crudités.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729301.263208.jpg

Crostini with hummus, tapenade and tomatoes and basil.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729344.850213.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729359.851773.jpg

And all of our new releases.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729394.704952.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460729428.290821.jpg

To us of German/Austrian/Hungarian descent, that is called Viener Snitzel Vom Schwein . I guess it is the sauce that makes it a Milanese.. :)

NOW YOU DID IT!!! I have not made snitzel in months and now I am craving it big time! Thanks a lot SG!!!.. :)

I make snitzel by first making my own bread crumbs. This is a must! Take fresh bread, break into small pieces, and toast in the oven (on a sheet pan) until light and hard. Run the pieces through a food processor and Sift the crumbs through a strainer. This produces fine, flour-like bread crumbs.

Once the crumbs are made, I take a pork loin and cut into 1.5 inch thick medallions. I then pound each medallion into the stone age. I have a "Thor's Hammer" meat mallet for just this purpose. When I am done pounding, each snitzel is about 10 inches wide and so thin that you can see light through them.

Then it is salt/pepper/flour/egg wash/breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown (rather quick in hot oil given how thin they are). The meat shrinks up a bit in the pan, so the breading "wrinkles" up. This and the fact that it is large enough to hang off the plate are tell-tale signs of a good snitzel.

I serve this with a TON of fresh Lemons, some spaetzle, and some red cabbage.

The problem is that I am too busy Saturday to make this. It will have to wait until sunday... :(

Now You did it ! I need to have some Schnitzel . Thanks a lot JohnT!:)

Broiled hanger steak with chimichurri, wilted spinach with tons of garlic, black pepper, and lemon juice, and tabouleh.

Tip: for the tabouleh, don't bother cooking the couscous. Mix two parts dried couscous with one part lemon juice and one part water. After the liquid is absorbed, add more lemon juice as desired, and tons of EVOO. Parsley, onions, etc. can be added at this time.

Back