What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was pork spareribs glazed with a jalopeno/mango sauce that I made. Baked low and slow until falling off the bone, then at high temperature to brown. Served with roast potatoes (rosemary & thyme); braised mustard greens with garlic; and an avocado salad with sesame oil, soy sauce, and mint chutney.

Tonight was pork spareribs glazed with a jalopeno/mango sauce that I made. Baked low and slow until falling off the bone, then at high temperature to brown. Served with roast potatoes (rosemary & thyme); braised mustard greens with garlic; and an avocado salad with sesame oil, soy sauce, and mint chutney.

You need a smoker. Love the sweet/heat combo though. ;)

Okay, this is bizarre. I have a smoker. I didn't use it yesterday, mostly out of laziness. As I was sitting down to read WMT, my wife suggested that we should do something on the smoker today. I was distracted, as I was trying to open the "who quoted me" link, and I read this:

You need a smoker. Love the sweet/heat combo though. ;)

Chicken legs, sliced fried taters and salad for dinner, then some appetizers to keep our strength up as we played a few games of darts. I actually won a game and that was after a 375ml bottle of Forza and a good part of a bottle of Diablo Rojo.

4-17-16_forza.jpg

4-17-16_darts.jpg

We had a THICK tuna steak, like 2" thick. Even I couldn't screw that up! Grilled on extremely hot grill for ~3 minutes per side, and it came out great, like sushi in the middle. Paired with fresh fava beans (garlic/sherry/lemon/EVOO), stuffed portobello mushroom caps, and zucchini, and we'll cal it a success. Washed down with 2 bottles (!) of my WE LE Oregon Pinot.

The plan was to make schnitzel on Sunday, but SWMBO was not in the mood. "It is beautiful out, why not grill some burgers?" she suggested.

She had a point. I have neglected my grill for at least 5 months.
I made a nice past/veggie salad to go with....

IMG_20160417_175903_526.jpg

Tonight was our anniversary, so I tried to go all-out (in a casual, haphazard, mid-week sort of way).

Starters was prosciutto, cerignola olives, and a green-peppercorn Bavarian brie-like cheese. This was closely followed by a half-dozen oysters on the half-shell. This was all washed down with a bottle of Prosecco.

The main course featured sauteed baby artichokes, mushroom ravioli smothered in a mushroom/spinach/garlic cream sauce, and ribeye steak au poivre. I made a nice peppery, creamy, salty, beefy sauce with a hint of cognac. Very nice.

19Apr2016_2.jpg

19Apr1016_1.jpg

Looks fantastic Paul! Happy anniversary!

Please tell me more about the sautéed 'chokes.

SWMBO will be out of town Saturday, so the older brother suggested we get together, cook, and do some sippin. Once word got out, it all turned into a party of 8. Went to the freezer and saw this.

What can I say but...

Saturday, there will be beef.. OOOOOH YES, THERE WILL BE BEEF!!!!

(9.5 pound 4 rib roast)

IMG_20160419_162412_594.jpg

Last edited:
My plan is ...

Garden Salad with basalmic Vinegrette

Prime Rib,
Twice baked Potatoes (never did this one before, hope it turns out ok).
Yorkshire Pudding
sautéed mushrooms
and whatever fresh veggies I can find

One of the nieces said she would bring dessert.

Looks fantastic Paul! Happy anniversary!

Please tell me more about the sautéed 'chokes.

Thank you!

Re: the artichokes: nothing could be easier. Take a bunch of baby 'chokes, cut the tips off, then peel off the outermost petals until you get to the more tender inner leaves. Cut them into quarters. Sautee on medium-high in olive oil for about 8 minutes, or until starting to brown. Season with salt, pepper, and whatever else you like. Then throw in some liquid to cool the pan a bit, and then plenty of lemon juice. Cover and leave on low heat for 10 minutes.

wheres-the-beef1.jpg

This was pretty awesome. Rice with tomato, mushrooms, carrots and celery.

View attachment 28651

Back