What wierd stuff have you put in wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampcamper

Junior
Reaction score
I like to add green or black tea to wine instead of tannin powder. It adds character, nutrients for the yeast and a little caffeine. Brown sugar or molasses is a nice variation too. A pinch of henbane seeds will make for a sleepy wine. Although too much henbane would dry your mouth horribly or possibly kill you a little bit! On the safer side, lemon balm or hibiscus are interesting. Or maybe eye of newt would be more fun. What do you add?

I never divulge the ingredients until after its consumed.
cunning.gif
I've used stinging nettles, tea bags, carrots, wheat, cracked corn, & cinnamon sticks. Plus the odd bug that's gotten in there by mistake.

Last edited:
I made a wine out of Kiwiberry, or "Baby Kiwi." Also have used cinnamon sticks, crushed nutmeg, sweet orange peel, wormwood (thujone), homegrown mint leaves & lemon balm & stevia leaves. Tomato wine and Banana wine were a tad unusual but turned out great. Kumquats, Key Limes and Tangelos were fun too if you like citrus wines. Experiment and find out, you could be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I made a wine out of Kiwiberry, or "Baby Kiwi." Also have used cinnamon sticks, crushed nutmeg, sweet orange peel, wormwood (thujone), homegrown mint leaves & lemon balm & stevia leaves. Tomato wine and Banana wine were a tad unusual but turned out great. Kumquats, Key Limes and Tangelos were fun too if you like citrus wines. Experiment and find out, you could be pleasantly surprised.

This is good and quite well experimented. I am feeling like getting into some really necessary stuffs and I find Lemon balm, mint leaves are good and no doubt it will add a flavor to the wine.

Holly Cow! I was worrying about ruining the simplest wines, like peach and apple.
After hearing some of these it makes me feel a bit safer to experiment a little more.
Great Ideas, things I would have never even thunk of, and this thread is just getting started!

Wow!! I will definitely try this out so that I will get the different taste after all, it is always better to try different wine recipes.

I just used a Wine Expert kit and when all was said and done, I added about 2 bunches of leaves and let bulk age for about 3 months. It had just a slight hint of chocolate and mint. My wife loved it and I will attempt it again next year when my mint comes back in (currently cut down for the season). Next year, I think I will try to infuse it into a port.

Good luck and have fun

I grow and have used the apple spearmint, along with a pineapple peppermint varietals. Good stuff! I used it in a Strawberry Limeade batch I made years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back