what types of chocolate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
What types of chocolate can you use to add to wine I mean is there a certain % of cocao that needs to be there?? What I'm trying to find out is say one thats 50% cocao alright to use??

Sirs, there are different ways of doing it. I know the most common is using cocoa powder and mixing it in. Myself I like taking chocolate chunks or wafers and adding them to the carboy and infuse the flavor. I have dark chocolate and have used both 55% and 77% chocolate.

Runningwolf, When do you add the chocolate, to the must or after fermentation? I'm trying to get enough Wild Black Raspberries to make a Chocolate Raspberry port style wine. Haven't found a real good recipe yet so I figure I'd work my own up. I'm thinking if it's added while aging I can control how much chocolate flavor I end up with a lot better.

Runningwolf, When do you add the chocolate, to the must or after fermentation? I'm trying to get enough Wild Black Raspberries to make a Chocolate Raspberry port style wine. Haven't found a real good recipe yet so I figure I'd work my own up. I'm thinking if it's added while aging I can control how much chocolate flavor I end up with a lot better.

In my ice wine I add it to the secondary for 30 days. In the candy cane wine, Ive had it in there several months now while it's aging.

I know there is different ways to do the chocolate I was just wondering if there was a level of percentage of chocolate that would be to low to add to the wine?? Like I'm sure a person probly wouldn't want to add a milk chocolate to their wine or they may but seems like there would be a stopping point where to many other ingredients in the chocolate might not be good for the wine, thats basically what I'm trying to find out

I am not sure of a minimum amount of cocoa% to use but myself I get the highest I can find, as I said earlier I have used 55% and 77% cocoa. I am thinking the higher the cocoa hopfully the lower the butter fat in it.

As per Wades strawberry chocolate port.... I used coco in the fermenter and watkins chocolate extract in the secondary. It came out VERY tasty. I'm actually making a batch for a wedding now.

Back