What type of yeast do i need?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skor

Reaction score
Im going to start making wine, mostly fruit wines, skeeter pee etc, why types of yeast should i buy there aer so many different ones i dont know which to start with? Thanks

For fruit wines I like the Red Star Cotes Des Blanc for lighter fruit wines, Red Star Champagne is also a good choice and probably better for a new wine maker. Lalvin 71B is a good yeast for fruits with high Malic acid as it eats more of this acid then other yeasts to help smooth out a wine and make it more palatable.

Hey Skor; Wade E has a good point. I will use the 71B for small-lot fruit wines. it also helps boost tutti-fruity aromas.

But for your early attempts his advice of the RedStar champagne is good, and it's cheap at about 50 to 75 cents or so for a 5gram pack. It goes by many names by many manufacturers: Champagne, Pasteur, Pris De Mousse and the more technical EC-1118. It can ferment to about 18% alcohol so you can make some pretty hot wine if you want. It is clean and offers up no real aromatic contribution to your wine.

Latest posts

Back