What to do next???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnie

Junior
Reaction score
I am a newby to this wine making buz. I have to kits about to bottle both RJS one is a Pinot Griego and the other is a California Cab. Both have to sit for a while. I want something I can drink now.

My questions is,, what kit can I make so I can drink in about 4 months and be good. Any suggestions. I get all my things from George. Thanks Lynn
smiley17.gif

Generally any white wine will be ready pretty soon. You can always look at the orchard breezin kits as they are also ready pretty fast.

Ya know, George LOVES it when YOU call him. Call him.
I guess its what do you like? Like vcasey said the "mist" kits drink fast if you like fruity sweet wines. They make a great "cooler" wine if you add 7-UP to it.

Thanks for the info.. What do you think about Vinifere Noble

Castel del Papa or Pinot Noir # vn07 or the VN Piesportor. Lynn

I would make the Piesportor or another white over the small red kits, but I admit I've become picky when it comes to red wine kits. Tepe made a great suggestion to give George a call.

I just talked to George's place and they said to make a Castel del Papa.
I think is is a soft red and kind of light for a red.
I will make the Piesporter and see what happens.

While I have you on the hook. Tell me how long I should let my RJS CC
California Cab. w/skins( 24800)sit in the bottle before I drink. It is telling me to let it lay about 1yr to 18 mo. Is that correct?
smiley17.gif

Also the Pinot Griego , Its ready to bottle on April 9, How long in the bottle before its is ready?
Hey ,, thanks for the info it really helps. Lynn
smiley18.gif

I usually follow pretty closely with the suggested time, but keep in mind I've been making wine & mead for a while so I have a lot to choose from and we go through it rather slowly. See the pics and keep in mind I have about a bunch more not even bottledhttp://forum.finevinewines.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9050
smiley2.gif

By all means you can continue to taste your wine along the way to see how it evolves and it helps you to remember the magic that happens in the bottle or carboy when allowed to age. Many folks will bottle a few in 375 size bottles like these

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5221
</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C5221_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Green Semi-Burgundy style bottle, 375 ml

Case of 24</td></tr></t></table>
so they can taste with out opening a whole bottle. For tasting start with the white at 3-4 months and give the red a least 6 months.
I forgot to welcome you to the forum - glad to have you here and please ask away. And don't forget carboys get lonely and need friends (other carboys) to keep them company............

VCASEY, Thanks for the helpful hints. I will follow the plan and be patient.

I like the idea of the smaller bottlers.
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
Lynn

If you make beer and bottle it, you have a great supply of small sample bottles. Just bottle in the beer bottles and cap with the crown capper instead of corks. While everybody is having a cheap ole bud, yoy can be having your tastiest wine and not have to share with others
smiley2.gif

lynnie said:
I am a newby to this wine making buz.  I have to kits about to bottle both RJS one is a Pinot  Griego and the other is a California Cab. Both have to sit for a while.  I want something I can drink now.My questions is,, what kit can I make so I can  drink in about 4 months and be good.  Any suggestions.  I get all my things from George.  Thanks Lynn
smiley17.gif

My Favorite!

Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio

Light-bodied and easy drinking this wine captures the mouth-watering flavors of freshly cut honeydew melon and juicy watermelon.

Thanks for the info reg the Kiwi Melon, I will order it today.

Also any ideas if I should Oak RJS Pinot Griego . Its ready to bottle soon. if I can Oak it.
How do I do it and should I, I like the Oak in reds.

I have it in the Carboy all fined and cleared. What kind of OaK, how much, ect. ect. help, help. Thanks Lynn

Lynn, I have made 2 kits of the VN Piesporter and it is awesome!!! But, it won't be good to drink in 4 months.I waited a yr to open mine and you won't be dissappointed you waited, believe me.
I would buy commericial wines to drink in the meantime.
smiley4.gif

I bottled a MM Vinifera Castel del Papa about a month ago. I had a couple of glasses the night it was bottled, and I opened the first bottle last night to see how it is coming. I am very pleased with it, and feel it will really be nice given about 6 months. It is mellowing and smoothing out, and taking on some great flavors. I would recommend it.

One thing I should note is I followed the advice of some others on the forum and didn't rack from the primary to the carboy on the secondary fermentation.I added the oak and yeast nutrient to the bucket, snapped the lid, and stirred it everyday untilSG was .996.

Lynn said:
Thanks for the info reg the Kiwi Melon, I will order it today.

Also any ideas if I should Oak RJS Pinot Griego . Its ready to bottle soon. if I can Oak it.
How do I do it and should I, I like the Oak in reds.

I have it in the Carboy all fined and cleared. What kind of OaK, how much, ect. ect. help, help. Thanks Lynn

Lynn, I would recommend anFrench Oak,Medium Plustoast and use the spirals.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=82002C

Latest posts

Back