What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canned a lot of stuff with my wife today.

33 x 1L jars of peaches
33 x 500mL jars of salsa
6 x 1L jars of Pasta sauce

We're out of tomatoes now, so need to wait a few days before we can make more pasta sauce. I peeled and chopped 50 cups of tomatoes today, all from the garden.
Downside to having a few pots boiling all day long is the house is like a sauna, A/C has been set to 22.5 all day but it's 29.5 in here (celcius). we were smart enough to close bedroom door so at least it's nice and cool.
We still have a bunch of peaches and peppers, so will make pepper jelly later this week.
Now enjoying some bourbon and then off to bed.
20180820_234226.jpg
20180820_230009.jpg

Had some vessel management going on today. Finished making my Norton blend, 6.5 gallons in a new barrel as well as 8 gallons of Cab Sauv in a new barrel. Filled a 6.5 gallon neutral barrel with 6 gallons of Merlot and .5 gallons of Cab Sauv. Had to rack my leftovers from blending in 3 gallon carboys and with what was left filled 17 bottles with a glass left over. Tonight we are going to a pig roast pot luck luau at one of our local wineries.

Ive got a rubiano grape in the carboy now for 10 months and at the last racking a taste revealled an earthy almost asphargus like flavour to it. Any suggestions on what to do now? Maybe some charred oak for a few months?

Another day here and gone w/o getting to the wine room. It’s getting ridiculous at this point. Got a 15month old batch to bottle. And 25gal from May still without sulphites or racked post MLF. And harvest is around the corner!
Tough to find time when every waking hour is spent working on the house. Today I put my nephew to work prepping our incredibly time consuming pallet accent wall in the family room. Kid’s 7 and handled power tools like a boss! Making progress. Slowly but surely.
IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5479.jpg

Just finished racking the LR Viognier/Roussane/Marsanne. An outstanding wine that I'm very much looking forward to bottling this weekend. And with my All In One? A 15 minute project from set up through cleanup.

Unpacked after being in SoCal for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Man, there's a ton of posts that have happened in that time! I did get to visit with a Somm friend of mine and he confirmed my worst nightmare... Brett is present in the latest wine. Buying new equipment to try and conquer this - My "Price Per Bottle" reasoning just went out the window with the Mrs.!

Some vessel management, followed by possible bottling of the Viognier/Roussane/Marsanne. Time available, I may watch the remainder of the Nats game out in the gazebo w/ a cold one.

Started a double batch of RJS Amarone tonight. Our maybe I should really say, put it into my fermenter and then into the refrigerator for a week or two. Hopefully it will do a bunch of extraction during that time and then I can let it warm to room temp and ferment normally. Sort of an extended maceration effort. I know, pictures of it didn't happen. 12 gallons just barely fits. IMG_20180904_183021.jpeg

Started making a big batch of spaghetti/pasta sauce. Peeled and chopped all those tomatoes, got about 7 gallons!
Took hours just for that.
Today I'll cook it all and can it, which will take another 4-5 hours.
But then I'll have 25-30 quart/Liter jars of sauce to last us through the winter.

Attachments

• 20180904_192239.jpg
    20180904_192239.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 24
Today is tomato canning day. 200lbs. We should get 110-125 jars.

Attachments

• 0DDEAE34-756A-428F-A277-0D6B62FB98EF.jpeg
    0DDEAE34-756A-428F-A277-0D6B62FB98EF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 14F7A1F4-D353-416D-AE00-8E1B0B975197.jpeg
    14F7A1F4-D353-416D-AE00-8E1B0B975197.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
11 mile run this morning. Now off to find some new baseball cleats for child #1. First practice at 3:00.

Started a wine project I’ve been contemplating for some time. I’m out of my summer wine, and decided to take a quick refresher course before the Fall grapes arrive.

60 pounds (15 - 4 pound bags from Sams) of triple berry fruit in the 25 gallon fermenter, added 2 gallons of water and a full dose of EX-V and let it sit about 18 hours, nice and broken down this morning. Really can’t discern any whole berries anymore, other than a few blueberries here and there. Chaptalized it up to 23 BRIX and checked the pH, at 3.26, and TA at 6.8. 1.5 tsp of tannin powder and Fermaid K were added to the fermenter and stirred in well. Pitched two packets of K1-V1116, put the lid on, and let er rip.
86E4E89C-95A8-43F3-9ECD-7309EB714AF0.jpeg

Unpacked after being in SoCal for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Man, there's a ton of posts that have happened in that time! I did get to visit with a Somm friend of mine and he confirmed my worst nightmare... Brett is present in the latest wine. Buying new equipment to try and conquer this - My "Price Per Bottle" reasoning just went out the window with the Mrs.!

I can't taste Brett. I had a wine class that they purposely served a wine with Brett and half the class couldn't taste it. It absolutely disgusted a few. Some say it adds to the flavor profile. Tell your wife that's what you were shooting for.

Latest posts

Back