What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the weekend I Bottled a Skeeter Pee (orig. recipe) and racked a Island Mist Sangria Zinfandel Blush to secondary....and it smells great (this is the kit I boosted the SpG to 1.078.)
Skeeter pee is great chilled with a lemon wedge in it. Wife and I already polished off two bottles.
Her complaints about me spending too much time in the basement with the wine have subsided now that she has tasted the Skeeter Pee.
I have not bottled any of my wines in the suggested times, I've let them all age. Even the Skeeter pee is 7 months old, and my 4 week kits are 4 months old and still in carboys. Wine making is the only thing with which I have patience. :>

ps...my wine cellar is now up to 60 bottles. :e I have another 12 gallons that should be bottled in another two months.

Last edited:
WOO HOO!!! I got fired from one of my part time jobs!! Actually, not fired - just that the customer wanted someone on site more often than I can provide. So I have another Sunday off per month, which is a blessing because I value my weekends. Actually, this allows me more time to develop the winery. I still have the first and last Sundays to make some side money. It was a good year and a half and I was able to pay for the kids college.

WOO HOO!!! I got fired from one of my part time jobs!! Actually, not fired - just that the customer wanted someone on site more often than I can provide. So I have another Sunday off per month, which is a blessing because I value my weekends. Actually, this allows me more time to develop the winery. I still have the first and last Sundays to make some side money. It was a good year and a half and I was able to pay for the kids college.

This is probably the best thing that will happen to you and your family. I'm a huge believer in fate, and baby.... this is fate showing her face. Give her a hug!

Lori, it was starting to wear thin. I was looking for a way out, but its hard to say "no" when someone is offering you a bunch of money for your time. But I do love my weekends. I am most certainly embracing this event. Now I can go to my other customer on Good Friday and drop by Doug's for afternoon wine sampling....

In other news, we are sanitizing more bottles, added the MLF to the cab sauv and did some bench testing with the Pinot Grigio. We need to rack the Skeeter Pee and finish the Apple Raspberry and Apple Cherry.

Last edited:
First lawn mowing of the season! :db

Now downstairs to get my Barolo out of the barrel.

I pulled weeds all day, getting the landscaping looking perfect again so that I can leave paradise and head back to gray Pennsylvania for the next several months. I sure hate to leave here but I need to bottle about 100 gallons of Chilean Malbec and Carmenere and about 50 gallons of elderberry and blueberry wines. I also have 12 buckets to pick up at Luva Bellas. I guess coming home isn't so bad after all!

Last night while my wife and daughter went shopping I headed down to the cellar. I decided to do some blending and I mixed up my Andrea's Whine and also my Destiny. The Andrea's Whine is a blend of 50% Niagra, 25% Concord and 25% Fredonia. The Destiny is the same ratios with the exception of substituting Catawba in place of the Niagra. I bac sweetened the Andrea's Whine to 1.008 and the Destiny to 1.010. The Fredonia is competely different than the 2012 Fredonia. THe 2013 isn't near as dark or acidic. Its good, but nothing like the 2012.

Later this week or over the weeek end I'll mix up my Ado which is a blend of Catawba annd Fredonia and I'll also likely get my Concord Niagra blended.

It's a good think I like the taste if the Fredonia since I likely won't double my blends as I originally intended due the 2013 juice vs the 2012 juice. I'll probably just back sweeten some straight Fredonia and bottle it that way.

I got soooo sick of stacked up boxes of empty bottles taking up space in my kitchen, so I spent today and yesterday building this! It was pretty cheap to build, fairly easy, and takes up space that wasn't being used in the first place. I call that a win-win-win!

It's not the prettiest to look at, but I'm saving for an Allinone, so I had to use what I could. I still have quite a bit of cattle panel, so I'll prolly end up making what I can from the rest. Plus I didn't have to pay for the wood. It was the leftovers (rails and steps) from a bunk bed set. So basically $20 for the panel, about $10 for the screws, brackets, plumber strap.

Now to get those empties filled up, emptied, repeat as desired.

Plus I racked those 2 "Go Big Blue" primaries in the top left of the photo, containing a triple batch of blackberry DB) into 15 gal demijohn and carboys.

Long day. Shew-Wee!

WP_000656.jpg

Last edited:
First lawn mowing of the season! :db

Now downstairs to get my Barolo out of the barrel.

wasn't even able to roll half the yard as the other half is still flooded had to dig a ditch at one end of garden to prevent my asparagus from drowning

Well, finished reading Jurassic park last night. It's been one of those books I had always wanted to read since I love the movie so much. Needless to say the book did not fail to impress. Lots of difference between the movie and book.

Next up, the lost world lol

Sitting on the porch enjoying a glass of wine. Just got done helping my neighbor pick up 30 boxes of Brazilian Cherry hardwood flooring. We start installation in 2 weeks.

Going to start a new batch of RegionRat's sauerkraut, bake a cake for hubby's birthday, and continue painting the hallways.

Plus, you know, getting the kids outside to play, cleaning the house, doing laundry, etc. :)

Eye exam (ugh, I'm getting older), yard work, t-ball, maybe catch some minor league ball tonight.

Just Pitched yeast into 5 gallons of Vino Superiore Barbera. This product comes as a frozen must of crushed grapes. First time I'm trying this. I bought a small press to press the crushed must after primary is complete.

Well hello my wine making peeps! It's been a busy last several months and I haven't had much time for winemaking. I left me family business behind after 35 years and some shaking of the family tree. I started a new job and now I love what i'm doing. I've just been letting my wines bulk age and making sure that are doing well and now that I have a little time I think they may need a little attention. It feels good to be back!

Back