What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need to build a rack in the cellar. Quickly running out of room on the 2 sets of shelves I have. I did a count, so far I'm up to 29 cases on the shelves and still have about 50 gallons in carboys.

Back sweetened the Blueberry Pomegranite yesterday. Very nice flavor. Will be bottling before Memorial Day.

going to clean and sanitize some more bottles between periods of the Pens game. I may even add another can of cranberry to the Cranberry Lime Skeeter Pee....

Working today. Here's what I get to drive at work...

Tower001.jpg

I just racked my chilean juices. Now I am out of carboys. The benches look good with 40 full carboys! I think I need an intervention!

Thats funny Phil. I have about 30+ empty carboys and about 24 gallons of merlot aging and I feel real good about that for a change. Oh yeah I ten pails to start this weekend.

I just finished unloading the truck and loaded up our chiller and another refridgerated tractor trailor with chilian juice.

In the last couple days..
Since I'm done moving family members
.. And getting over being sick with what they gave me
.. And done nursing the back problems that came with associated heavy furniture
.. Here's what I've been up to..

- Edged the grass out with a shovel
- Moved in the red chairs so Momma could 'see how the sun is'; the fence is getting moved forward to be flush with my edge-job on the grass, making a larger, more private front patio (not pictured)
-Dug a hole for incoming Madeleine Angevine #1
- Mad Angie #2 is going where the tree is..
- Mad Angie #3 is going where the happy little rose bush is, which I've also gotta transplant
-Edged out a front flower bed for some of the 12 varieties of fuchsias we went and bought, that have been going crazy under some cheap lighting (gonna add some lillies and tulips too i think)

The little Japanese Maple gets to move too, and that whole corner gets cleaned up; the fuchsia flower bed will probably get bigger toward the street when we're (read: me) ready to remove the grass and put in some rocks & mulch to clean up the property line - but thats a week or 3 out yet

Still waiting for the grapes to arrive, but as you can see, this is a bit of a chore.. So I thought I'd get a head start

CIMG2950.jpg

CIMG2951.jpg

CIMG2952.jpg

CIMG2957.jpg

I planted my elderberries today. 10 Adams, 5 Nova and 15 Johns. Already dreaming of the 15 pounds per plant that should happen a couple years from now! Now to figure out where to plant 15 black currant plants!

Sounds good Phil. I planted four black current bushes a few years ago. I got a few berries last year and the birds got a few more than me. I was just looking at them yesterday and they really look like they might do something this year.

I planted my elderberries today. 10 Adams, 5 Nova and 15 Johns. Already dreaming of the 15 pounds per plant that should happen a couple years from now! Now to figure out where to plant 15 black currant plants!

I would hope for more than 15 lbs per plant. One of the bushes I visit I get on average 30-40 lbs from over the course of the season. Wish I had property to plant some stuff on... I was told by my sister in law I could plant grapes on her property but they are in embleton which is about an hour and a half from me. Little far to go check on things.....

Just cleaned off the grill grates. Going to make grilled blue marlin with scalops and shrimp on a cedar plank for dinner. Sides will be spinach and noodles with an alfredo sauce. Wine choice for this evening is a 2012 Catawba from Presque Isle Winery.

outside work is done, now time to finish some wines by backsweetening and prep for bottling...

Perusing the forum for tid-bits related to the Meglioli Barolo while I wait for it to arrive. The reviews range from superb to lack-lustre results. Hopefully I didn't make a wrong decision in going with kit...

Backsweetened the Cran-Pom, racked the Riesling and finished the Key Lime Skeeter Pee. When the head bottler gets home from college tomorrow, we can do some bottling this coming week as I need to open up some carboys....

Well thanks to inspiration from Joeswine and my friend Runningwolf I added raisins and tannin to my Chilean juices. The juices are all out of the primary fermenter and in the carboys. SG is down to .990 but I am sure the yeast is still in there and will start munching on the raisins. This will be interesting, I have always chopped up the raisins and added them into the primary. This time, taking Joeswine's advice I left them whole and put them into the carboy. I also added tannin but Joe, I could not add the 4 tablespoons full you used on your kit.

Latest posts

Back