What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tons of bottles, most just arent delabeled. Like I said, Ive been slacking off but I still get the bottles. Ive been lazy but not stupid!!!!!!!!

SCORE!!! Just got a response from one of the wineries. Said they have a ton of bottles that have been rinsed and are available for pickup. Guess I know what I'll be doing this Saturday!

:try

Must be nice to have all the bottles you need.

Dave in most cases I am stocking up on bottles during the off seasons and then that helps them out also. Then after the wine fest in September they usually give me first dibs since I have been loyal to them. One other thing, even when I stop in like I did today with no agenda, I always drop off a bottle or two my wine.

See, you just have to ask. Dont be afriad to also ask them if you can jump in around harvest time and clean up after them. They typically leave a lot of grapes on tye vines and consider them a waste of their time but to you and me its free pickens!

SCORE!!! Just got a response from one of the wineries. Said they have a ton of bottles that have been rinsed and are available for pickup. Guess I know what I'll be doing this Saturday!
:try

Dave just something I do. After I bring them home I rinse them all out real good and seperate them by color back in the case upside down. Then when I have more time I start delabeling. The reason I do this is to stop any mold from growing and to not encourage any more fruit flies.

Trying to clean labels from a few cases I bought a Herritage Wine Store at the Waterfront. Used bottles they sell them for $2.00 a case but labels are really dificult to remove. They are plastic coated with a really sticky glue!!! Currently using a heat gun to remove label, soak glue with goo-gone to scrub off, then wash & clean with TSP to get final residue off!! Need to get these winerys to used a glue that comes off easier. Bottles I used to get from the Church, labels just fall off completley after about 30 seconds in warm water but they used screw tops!! Stopped using them since the neck is thinner & everyone recomends not to cork them..... Wish the other winerys would use that type of glue.........
Al

Al you are working too hard. I used to get my bottles from their main winery my first year of wine making. Just soak the bottles standing up in hot water with three big scoops of oxy clean. After about 30 minutes peel off that plastic facing (you may need a razor craper to get it started), it should pull off fairly easy. Then set the bottle back in the hot water for about another 45 minutes. Now use your scraper on the paper/glue left on the bottle. If you didn't get it all don't worry about it. Give the bottle another 45 minutes and the rest will easily come off. I don't ever use any goo gone or other harsh chemical on the bottles.

I don't ever scrape to hard as just another little soaking the glue comes off easier.

Going home tonight in about .5 hours and starting my next batch. WE Kit Shiraz/Zin.. Sounds good I hope it is.. We shall see (in about a year) haha

Got home from the Borough Council meeting this evening (actually got done at 8:30) and decided to open a bottle of my Muscadine Blend. I have to say this will only get better with age. I'll be bringing a couple bottles to the get to gether Saturday for exchange and also tasting. Hopefully Julie will bring some of hers also. Interested in trying hers to compare and see if mine is as good. Either way, I'm enjoying it now. I'll start to pull together my exchange items tomorrow.

Started my last two batches of wine until this next fall. Mango from fresh mango and Concord grape from Old Orchard frozen juice. Have everything cleaned up and put away for next season. Am all out of yeast, won't be ordering anything for awhile. Will be heading for Wis. for the summer in a couple of months. Lots of cheese and wine parties there. Golf tomorrow, in the mid eighties, getting hot down here in the south. Thanks for all the help. Loren

7:00 tonight I have a beer brewing class in Dayton. This should be fun!

Today is my Friday (i'm off work tomorrow).

Was going to go camping and make some points (arrowheads) at the Moundville Knap-in, but the van needs brakes and i have a kegerator to build.

Anyone here force-carb their SP?
At what psi do you carb? serve?

With the weather y'all've had you might think about staying in Florida. Although Hurricane season is around the corner.

It's been raining for three straight days and they're calling for 4-7 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. I just might stay.:slp

OK guys, I did it. I got the Droid Incredible. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it. If you have any hints, I'll be listening. What apps do I need? :db

OK guys, I did it. I got the Droid Incredible. Now all I have to do is learn how to use it. If you have any hints, I'll be listening. What apps do I need? :db

cooking conversion
flybys - good one
google sky map - good one
google translate
scanner radio
the weather channel
Volume conversion
zillow
color note - you can jot down quick notes to look at later

sorry I don't do any games

A nice relaxing and very lazy day off. Played my guitar half the day, and my son Dale kept me from my nap the second half of the day. Just got home from a church meeting to smell the beef brisket in the crock pot. One more day off so I should get a few naps in if the son lets me.:sl

The app I want is "BALLISTICS CALC" for extreme range shooting. (800 to 1400 yards and beyond.) The do not make it for blackberry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back