What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is a link to an animated chart of how music sales have changed over the years since 1973. Really amazing how things have changed in ~50 years.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/anim...ded-music-sales-by-format-share-1973-to-2022/
Here we are today basically and as you can see, streaming has taken over (no surprise really) but look what format is now back in 2nd place albeit a long way back! :db

View attachment 97788
You just made me change the radio station to a 60s through early 80s classic rock station, lol. DOORS Light My Fire was the last song that just played...

Talk about feeling old, the first album I bought (although I was just 7 years old) was Something New by the Beatles. Played on one of those little fold open record player that looked like a little suit case.
I think my brother had a 45 of an old Elton John song (possibly Your Song), I think it was before Agnes (tropical storm in 1972). Also remember a lot of George Carlin and Richard Pryor that he played when the parents were away, lol.

Reading a new book that I shouldn't have bought. I can see some purchases in the near future to fuel a new hobby. At least it will be an edible hobby (hmmm, beer, wine, bread, pizza, and now cheese ... hmmm).

1-21-23_cheese-2.jpg

Smoked some cheese with cherry sawdust (no, I didn't roll it and smoke it).

1-21-23_cheese-1.jpg

Oh, made a "large" bread for the "girls". Some rye and wheat with the bread flour.

1-21-23_bread.jpg

Received this email today:"I haven’t seen you in awhile, I hope all is ok, would love to know what you have been up to! Could you share here".
Yesterday I removed 1 gallon of Cabernet Sauvignon from my new 50 Litre French oak barrel. It was good. The wine is ready for long term ageing in bottles.

Bottled most of last summer's production over the weekend. Saturday a FWK Tavola Sauvignon Blanc and a WE Reserve Australian Chard went in the bottle. And yesterday in the photo below a WE Classic Chard, WE Reserve Luna Bianca and a FWK Tavola Chard were bottled. Still have another FWK Tavola Chard sitting in a carboy.

1674489987340.png

It was still a little harsh ( it was one of my first and I was still in the Max-alcohol stage of wine making) so I had to add 1.5 cups of simple syrup to 4 gallons, so it’s sweet The beet flavor is still there, right up front, but the finish is very fruity… almost cherry like. The beet taste is not too strong and no longer objectionable but no mistaking what it is. The mouth-feel is great as well. I’m hoping the beet flavor mellows more in the bottle. The color is ruby red.

I was surprised to find loads of tartaric acid crystals in the carboy. The pH at the end of primary was only 3.4. I did not add oak but it may have benefited from some.
image.jpg

Last edited:
It was still a little harsh ( it was one of my first and I was still in the Max-alcohol stage of wine making) so I had to add 1.5 cups of simple syrup to 4 gallons, so it’s sweet The beet flavor is still there, right up front, but the finish is very fruity… almost cherry like. The beet taste is not too strong and no longer objectionable but no mistaking what it is. The mouth-feel is great as well. I’m hoping the beet flavor mellows more in the bottle. The color is ruby red.

I was surprised to find loads of tartaric acid in the carboy. The pH at the end of primary was only 3.4. I did not add oak but it may have benefited from some.
View attachment 98022
Honestly, It looks like a beet wine.

I think I will have to try it.

Honestly, It looks like a beet wine.

I think I will have to try it.
I grew beets last year for the first time and harvested for wine towards the end of summer. Harvested some stragglers in December and they tasted completely different. Sweet and delicious. I'll try the wine again but using OLD beets. I'm thinking I never cared for beets because they were probably harvested early.

Back