What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my first attempt at volunteerism since retirement I just received notice that I'm now a committee member on the city of Cottonwood's Dark Sky Committee. The little bit I do know so far is that while the city is International Dark Sky Org. recognized, the committee that originally earned us that designation disbanded and there are a number of yearly requirements that need to be met in order to stay certified. There are 9 members on the committee and I don't know whether my job will be setting up folding tables and handing out bottles of water or acting as a liaison between the city and other Dark Sky communities. First meeting Jan. 12th. Guess I'll find out then.

For my first attempt at volunteerism since retirement I just received notice that I'm now a committee member on the city of Cottonwood's Dark Sky Committee. The little bit I do know so far is that while the city is International Dark Sky Org. recognized, the committee that originally earned us that designation disbanded and there are a number of yearly requirements that need to be met in order to stay certified. There are 9 members on the committee and I don't know whether my job will be setting up folding tables and handing out bottles of water or acting as a liaison between the city and other Dark Sky communities. First meeting Jan. 12th. Guess I'll find out then.
Enjoy your retirement Mr President of Dark Sky Committee. :)

My wife firmly believes when you want something you "put it out in the universe". Our near distant plan has been to buy a class c motorhome that maybe needs a bit of work and start getting ready to travel the states a bit. Over the holidays see saw a class A, didn't mention it to me, but started thinking she'd really like an actual bedroom and not have to climb up at bedtime to a cab-over type bed. Last week I saw a class A just fresh on the market but didn't mention it thinking it was probably more than we wanted to spend.

Well sunday we're running around and she says "maybe an A would be nice" just as we're a block from the one I'd seen earlier. That's all I needed to hear. We met the owners, the rig is in incredible condition, price was fair for the shape it's in and we bought it on the spot. They delivered it this morning. Registered it at Arizona DMV this morning and it's time to start stocking it up. Always be ready to say yes to an opportunity instantly when you know it fits your wants.

By the way, I don't know about other states but here you can register for multiple years with a slight discount. 5 year registration - $278.00 and no sales tax. I'd guess this would cost me 3 or 4,000.00 in California just to get it in my name. Researching towing setups that work on the jeep next.

MHfront3:4High.jpgMHrear3:4.jpgMHfront3:4.jpg

She's a real beauty Clark!

My wife firmly believes when you want something you "put it out in the universe". Our near distant plan has been to buy a class c motorhome that maybe needs a bit of work and start getting ready to travel the states a bit. Over the holidays see saw a class A, didn't mention it to me, but started thinking she'd really like an actual bedroom and not have to climb up at bedtime to a cab-over type bed. Last week I saw a class A just fresh on the market but didn't mention it thinking it was probably more than we wanted to spend.

Well sunday we're running around and she says "maybe an A would be nice" just as we're a block from the one I'd seen earlier. That's all I needed to hear. We met the owners, the rig is in incredible condition, price was fair for the shape it's in and we bought it on the spot. They delivered it this morning. Registered it at Arizona DMV this morning and it's time to start stocking it up. Always be ready to say yes to an opportunity instantly when you know it fits your wants.

By the way, I don't know about other states but here you can register for multiple years with a slight discount. 5 year registration - $278.00 and no sales tax. I'd guess this would cost me 3 or 4,000.00 in California just to get it in my name. Researching towing setups that work on the jeep next.

View attachment 97321View attachment 97322View attachment 97323

I'm sure you will enjoy your travels with this. Ahhh, did they have another spare ? :)

I firmly believe that, too!
It's absolutely eerie how many times it's worked for me.
It's not effective for winning the lottery (bummer) but everything else that's important or needed, spooky.

1673439810597.png

Later today, I am going to our local wine club meeting (Wisconsin Vintners' Association) to see our own @Rice_Guy give a presentation on "the components of wine and wine faults."
The focus of Wisconsin Vinters was practice tasting defects mentioned in Winemaker Magazine “Whose Fault Was It”; Oct-Nov 2022. ~~ reductive, oxidized, VA,, off balance.

FYI , , , Iowa extension has a good set of instructions on the web about how to make wine fault samples for training judges. . . . Must be a pretty bad wine maker since I could pick examples out of the basement

The focus of Wisconsin Vinters was practice tasting defects mentioned in Winemaker Magazine “Whose Fault Was It”; Oct-Nov 2022. ~~ reductive, oxidized, VA,, off balance.

FYI , , , Iowa extension has a good set of instructions on the web about how to make wine fault samples for training judges. . . . Must be a pretty bad wine maker since I could pick examples out of the basement

Thanks for the information on where to find some instructions to help train judges. I belong to a wine club in MO and this is going to help me make a great set of examples to help people identify faults.

The meeting was great; David gave an informative and entertaining talk, and plied us with "good examples of bad wine." 🤣 A good time was had by all.

Club judge training normally is:
* alcohol at 4% in water followed by 10%
* tannin 1gm in 500 ml water > something stronger (there are so many types though as oak or seed or qucerbo, at some time a session will be done on polyphenol flavors)
* sweet 20 gm sugar in a liter water
* acid 1 gm in a liter followed by1.5 gm.
* oak chips in water for a day

Winemaker Magazine judge training was:
* acid 2 gm / liter
* tannin 0.1 gm/ liter Scott tannin riche (a dry meat was used to clear palate)
* sugar 15 gm/ liter
* bitter,, grapefruit 50ml juice & 50 gm peel made to 300ml
* doctored red wine 2gm/ liter acid
— 0.2gm tannin/ liter red wine
— 1.0 gm crushed blackberry per liter
— ? gm green bell pepper per liter red wine
* a sample kit was used for TCA (this was bad has to be the last sample)

It seems that lots of folks have their personal name for reductive sulfur odor as “fried chicken” wine or “my wife’s hair perm” flavor wine or “this wine would be good with dark chocolate”. As a community we would up the quality by focusing on reductive fermentation flavors.
Thanks for the information on where to find some instructions to help train judges. I belong to a wine club in MO and this is going to help me make a great set of examples to help people identify faults.

Latest posts

Back