What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 25 years, imagine growing up in outstate Missouri, having been born in Montana and playing hockey at 3. Seeing St. Louis awarded a hockey team in 1967, when you are at the ripe old age of 10. Listening to them play for the Stanley Cup in the first three season. Idolizing Barclay, Bobby, and Billy Plager, Noel Picard (I was always a big dumb defenseman). Them always making the playoffs almost every year, only to fall way short, sometimes dramatically. In last place at the end of January, talk of tanking the season and rebuilding, yet again. Then the 11 game winning streak, making the playoffs Win the first round in sixgames over the playoff favorite Winnipeg Jets. The second round in seven games over Dallas Stars. The third round in six games over San Jose Sharks an often Blues killer. With a game that was won by a hand-pass goal. It was after that game and the way the team handled it, game over, bad call, move on, can't change it now, another game tomorrow night and meant it. Followed by an absolutely stupendous seven game series over the bigger, probably better, Boston Bruins. My bonus daughter took video of me breaking down in tears and even today over a year later, my eyes well up, I get chills up and down my body that the St. Louis Blues after 52 years of existence were the Stanley Cup Champions. Bobby Plager finally got a parade.

Bobby Plager was an original member of the Blues, rough and tumble kinda guy. Has held a number of positions with the club and is a real fan favorite.
Thank you for taking the time to post that about the Blues. I could feel the passion when reading it. B/c I can relate. Above all else Philly is a football town. & the eagles never got a Sbowl. Lost a few. Generations of families suffering.
Then lightning in a bottle. With a backup QB. Against the evil empire patriots. With a memorable trick “Philly Special” play to boot. Getting to experience that feeling and attending the parade w/ my dad & brothers is something we’ll always have now. And shots of Sambuca in the street to my grand pop who never got to see it.
I know the feeling ✊
2D792838-4E65-42CB-8AF1-E51669FE91F1.jpegB3D48547-DDB9-4A88-9C05-9DC8008AEF84.jpeg

Cool! I did not know that. Did you ever have to climb the fence to retrieve the ball off of one of those circa 1695 A.D. gravesites in Old Crispin Cemetery? Always freaked me out a little.
Nice. You linked it up.

Oh Yeah we would go back there. After practice and would be getting dark. No lights there either (still today) Would be a little game almost. Who’s a sissy and who’s not? Lol
Fast forward a few years— as teenagers sneaking in to the old “haunted” & cult hangout byberry abandoned asylum searching for underground tunnels and a good scare. good times.

Really having a rough time deciding whether or not to buy a lot of equipment. The owner of it was going to start a boutique winery but for some reason his plans changed. He is not willing to sell individual pieces and the lot is going for $2,500.00. 3 items interest me the most. An 80 liter wood basket bladder press, stainless steel motorized C/D and 60 cases of new antiques green Bordeaux bottles. All of the equipment is 3 years old. Some of the other items are 14 carboys ( already have about 28), 5,000 capsules, a capsule shrink machine, 15 plate filter (which I would never use), fairly nice transfer pump, multiple fermenting vessels and smaller misc items. Really want to pull the plug but there is so much I don't need and don't want to have to store it and try to sell.

Really having a rough time deciding whether or not to buy a lot of equipment. The owner of it was going to start a boutique winery but for some reason his plans changed. He is not willing to sell individual pieces and the lot is going for $2,500.00. 3 items interest me the most. An 80 liter wood basket bladder press, stainless steel motorized C/D and 60 cases of new antiques green Bordeaux bottles. All of the equipment is 3 years old. Some of the other items are 14 carboys ( already have about 28), 5,000 capsules, a capsule shrink machine, 15 plate filter (which I would never use), fairly nice transfer pump, multiple fermenting vessels and smaller misc items. Really want to pull the plug but there is so much I don't need and don't want to have to store it and try to sell.

I saw that ad on CL and was intrigued by a few items. Too much of a pain to deal with buying the lot, then trying to sell what you don't want.

I went and saw it in person, everything is in very nice condition. I pay $9.50/ case so the bottles are worth $580.00. I probably don't have enough bottles for the 2019 and definitely will need more for the 2020 so I'll have to buy them anyway. I could sell my manual C/D for $300.00 and the filter for $500.00 easy. This leaves the cost of the C/D and press at around $1,100.00. Do you think I'm trying to talk myself into it? LOL!

I went and saw it in person, everything is in very nice condition. I pay $9.50/ case so the bottles are worth $580.00. I probably don't have enough bottles for the 2019 and definitely will need more for the 2020 so I'll have to buy them anyway. I could sell my manual C/D for $300.00 and the filter for $500.00 easy. This leaves the cost of the C/D and press at around $1,100.00. Do you think I'm trying to talk myself into it? LOL!

Well, when you look at it that way, it's a screaming bargain. LOL! 🤣

Three Creeks the winery we've been working on is opening this weekend for friends and family if you were interested. We are probably going Sunday.

Ooh, maybe. We have a family gathering Saturday for FD and Mom's b-day. I don't know if the missus has anything planned Sunday. I'll check.

Started my first kit (in 10 years) on April 2nd.. 3 more since then.. I FINALLY installed a utility sink in the wine making room today. No more lugging everything upstairs to clean in the kitchen sink (and no more talk of divorce either!).

I agree with Craig in you will use it more than you think. One thing I did was install a hose bib next to the sink. The added pressure you get for cleaning carboys really helps. I ran it directly off the hot water line.

I agree with Craig in you will use it more than you think. One thing I did was install a hose bib next to the sink. The added pressure you get for cleaning carboys really helps. I ran it directly off the hot water line.
I bought a faucet that was threaded on the end — cut one end off of a washing machine hose and now I have a narrow hose that has a good bit of pressure and it fits all the way to the bottom of the carboy.

Getting things together to smoke a pork butt on the WSM for pulled pork tomorrow.

I was going to do the same, but intermittent thunderstorms all day changed my plans. I'm in no hurry, so I'll do it tomorrow or Monday.

Just finished filtering the 2019 Viognier and Petite Manseng. A short break for lunch now, then I'll get to bottling.

Yeah, storms popping up around here as well. We got a nice one last evening (much needed rain and no severe stuff).

I'm loading/unloading programs on my wife's old laptop (HP Pavilion w/i3 processor and touch screen, love it) since she just bought a new one for clinicals. Got the wifi scanner/printer hooked up, photoshop loaded, all the stuff she had loaded that's not needed removed.

Also in "support mode" as she and my daughter are painting my Son's room. Since our oldest flew the coop he's in the biggest bedroom in the house. My two girls are in the smallest, and you know women, too many clothes, too many shoes, too much junk. I'm afraid to see what that room will look like when they move in. My Son has been keeping it pretty clean, just hoping we can get to the second bathroom once they move in (it's supposed to be the master bedroom, but we got kicked out of their years ago).

I was going to do the same, but intermittent thunderstorms all day changed my plans. I'm in no hurry, so I'll do it tomorrow or Monday.

Just finished filtering the 2019 Viognier and Petite Manseng. A short break for lunch now, then I'll get to bottling.
We could use some of those storms up here. At the beginning of May we had 2 inches pf rain. Since then only about one inch has fallen. Lawns and gardens are drying up, lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. are really low. I suppose wells will start going dry next!! Funny thing is, we always get 52 or 53 inches of precip every year. Somewhere down the road, we're gonna get a lot of wet weather!

Sun's out now and has been for a couple hours. I fear that's just heating things up for another round of storms later. We had them on and off yesterday from about 2pm until 9 or so. All done w/ the filtering and bottling. All told, 29 bottles of Viognier, 30 bottles of Petite Manseng, 2 bottles of a blend from leftovers, and two glasses for the winemaker. @mainshipfred: there are a couple bottles coming your way. Would love to do a tasting to compare ours, and maybe your commercial winemaker friend's versions, since they are all from the same grapes.

Sun's out now and has been for a couple hours. I fear that's just heating things up for another round of storms later. We had them on and off yesterday from about 2pm until 9 or so. All done w/ the filtering and bottling. All told, 29 bottles of Viognier, 30 bottles of Petite Manseng, 2 bottles of a blend from leftovers, and two glasses for the winemaker. @mainshipfred: there are a couple bottles coming your way. Would love to do a tasting to compare ours, and maybe your commercial winemaker friend's versions, since they are all from the same grapes.

That's a really good idea. We're planning on going to Three Creeks around 1:30 tomorrow. If you can't make it I'll pick up a bottle of each. I may not have mentioned I still haven't tasted either but I gave a bottle to for the winery owners and the winemaker to try and they told me with the high acid I should have back sweetened it a little for balance, I believe you did.

That's a really good idea. We're planning on going to Three Creeks around 1:30 tomorrow. If you can't make it I'll pick up a bottle of each. I may not have mentioned I still haven't tasted either but I gave a bottle to for the winery owners and the winemaker to try and they told me with the high acid I should have back sweetened it a little for balance, I believe you did.

Saw that they don't allow kids. We'll be at my parents' not too far from there and will have the kiddos, so we'll have to skip this one. Still need to swap some bottles though.

Yes, I added some simple syrup to the PM, but not the Viognier.

Back