What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a goodly chunk of the day replacing the battery in my wife's smartphone. Very nerve-racking. This would have been much easier when my eyes were better and I didn't have the DT's! :) (The second part of that was a joke, but the first part is accurate!) Anyway, I succeeded: phone works well, and we saved $35.

Just racked my first batch of strawberry banana wine. Sg was at 1.005. Feeling really good about this one. Also pitched the yeast in my 6 gal skeeter pee. Can’t wait to see it turn out. 😁👍🏻 Edit for typos 🍻

Just racked my first batch of strawberry banana wine. Sg was at 1.005. Feeling really good about this one. Also pitched the yeast in my 6 gal skeeter pee. Can’t wait to see it turn out. 😁👍🏻 Edit for typos 🍻
Just racked my first batch of strawberry banana wine. Sg was at 1.005. Feeling really good about this one. Also picked the test in my 6 gal skeeter pee. Can’t wait to see it turn out. 😁👍🏻
B6C40A20-3AA0-4F05-94FE-FCE8EDCD25FE.jpeg here she is in all her glory. 🍷B6C40A20-3AA0-4F05-94FE-FCE8EDCD25FE.jpegB6C40A20-3AA0-4F05-94FE-FCE8EDCD25FE.jpeg

I've pretty much finished up on the construction part of my new winery. Final tabulations: Approx 15 days work and 1000.00 in materials. Finished size is 270 square feet. I've still got to replace the sink behind door number 2 with a utility sink and buy a work bench but that's a chore for after I pay off the Home Depot card. I also plan to start hauling all my wine stuff back in and organizing during the next couple of weeks, I'll probably buy a wine kit or two just to get a winemaking fix. I can't believe it was about 2-1/2 years ago I bottled my last batch in preparation of moving to arizona. All in all I think it's going to work out really well. "Winehouse on the Rocks II " Before and after Pics - first and second same view, third looking towards my art studio and office.

Before.jpgIMG_1628 copy.jpgIMG_1637 copy.jpg

Spent my Fathers Day sighting in two pellet guns, one is my old Beeman .177 caliber piston driven rifle, the other a Hatsan .25 caliber piston driven rifle that my oldest Son who is now in the Air Force left behind, for now. That Hatsan is a bear to break the barrel and set the piston, full body workout. Beeman is much more forgiving.

Hatsan is very inaccurate over 20 yds, set some cans up at 35 yds and my younger Son hit it with the Beeman 5 out of 6 times once we sighted it in. He's a pretty good shot, must have gotten it from me, LOL. I will say if I ever get a hold of a rabbit with that Hatsan there won't be much left. It went through 2" of homasote and took a chunk out of the maple tree behind it (got some plywood and that helped).

Nothing better than spending time with your kids. Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's out there (got a card from my daughter saying I'm a "Rad Dad", can't beat that!).

6-21-20_range-1.jpg

6-21-20_range-2.jpg

6-21-20_range-3.jpg

I've pretty much finished up on the construction part of my new winery. Final tabulations: Approx 15 days work and 1000.00 in materials. Finished size is 270 square feet. I've still got to replace the sink behind door number 2 with a utility sink and buy a work bench but that's a chore for after I pay off the Home Depot card. I also plan to start hauling all my wine stuff back in and organizing during the next couple of weeks, I'll probably buy a wine kit or two just to get a winemaking fix. I can't believe it was about 2-1/2 years ago I bottled my last batch in preparation of moving to arizona. All in all I think it's going to work out really well. "Winehouse on the Rocks II " Before and after Pics - first and second same view, third looking towards my art studio and office.

View attachment 62670View attachment 62671View attachment 62672

Looks fantastic, Mike. Question: do you have a way to seal it off to prevent little critters from getting in? Looks like it may be open to the slope a bit. Just curious. Keep it up, it's gonna be a great workspace.

Thanks Jim, there are a couple of vents but other than that it's sealed really well. It's really pretty surprising that I don't have any evidence of bugs in the dirt area or even in between the studs that had been sitting for years.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We need all the deets on M&S please!
Materials and Supplies:

Purchased oven (1000 plus) from Cuore - BrazilIan company. Had to ”manipulate” a 6” inch double insulated pipe to accommodate a 14cm (5.5”) hole. Didn’t take too long. Oven was shipped freight from Florida.

Put all the components (19 pieces) together, insulated and got the first of three rounds of stucco on. It will eventually have 5 inches of stucco to help keep the heat in the oven.

My landscapers have been busy the last month (only a day or two a week because of rain) prepping the spot, laying 500 square feet of pavers that includes a sidewalk to the front of my house. This wasn’t too troublesome as the 3” thick round finished concrete table (60”) took about a month to create and cure. Also, they had to pour footers and a 6” concrete foundation because this thing will weigh over two tons when it’s complete.

I’ll do the second (morning) and third (evening) coats tomorrow. The third coat will be more a skim coat and will have die (charcoal) as color. I’ll mortar the front bricks as the last step.

More pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
last night I went to get a few bottles of wine out of the cooler to bring home and found my AC unit was froze up. It was around 80* when it is normally at 55*. One of the carboys had wine coming up through the air lock. Grabbed a heat gun to defrost it and found when I turned it back on it started freezing up again. Went to Lowes to get a new one but it was around 9:00 when I got back. Set the Inkbird to 75* and it seemed to rest long enough to thaw the ice. Had to be at my job @ 4:30 this morning to get a crane set up so I was back at the shop at 3:00 making sure it was still working at 75* and no luck. I pulled the old one and put in the new one and just let it run on it's own controls at 64*. So now I'm working on getting the new one set permanently. I have to admit though my butt is a little kicked.

Latest posts

Back