What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think drinking is an option, too much fizz. And let it finish fermenting? Doug, do you have an itch???????? :D :< :)
No but I do have some OINTMENT if anyone needs it....

You're probably right, if it's popping corks, it's likely very fizzy. May need to allow it to ferment out then depending on finished alcohol resweeten or blend but only after stabilizing.

jojabry how was the ease of use? And how much did you pay?

I used it last night on some blackberry Dragon Blood. I filtered and bottled 3 gallons and to degassed and filtered another 5 gallons. Both tasks went really quickly. Also, I was using EZ cap bottles and really liked how the bottling attachment filled exactly to where I wanted uniformly. It was really easy to learn how to use the system.

As I make a lot of DB variants which require degssing, I opted for all the additional accessories for that task. The total including shipping was only $235.90, I consider that very reasonable, even though I'm a known penny-pinch.

I also purchased the recommended filter setup found here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/ I did buy 2 of each filter instead of one. The complete cost including shipping was $45.27. Excellent considering the cheapest filter housing at Lowe's was $40 which didn't include the extras AND the filters are more expensive.

So grand total = $281.17. I've only used it this once but I get the feeling that it's definitely going to be worth the cost. After speaking to Steve (AKA vacuumpumpmman) I know I have a limited time money back guarantee, though considering the reviews the system gets I don't think I'll be using it. I also know if I have any questions I can call him, now that's good customer service.

forgot to meta and stabilize my Seyval blanc after backsweetening. I was politely told what to do by a master winemaker, which I steadfastly, incorrectly and bullheadedly ignored the sage advice. So the experience that I am SLOWLY learning is that I should uncork, allow to finish the additional fermentation and then proceed. I'm down to 6 bottles, so I just may try to gut it out and make this a sparkling wine attempt and learn from it.

Bottled 5 gallons of Pee, stabilized and backsweetened the Diamond and did some bench testing on the Catawba....

Another day, another thunder chicken down. Connected with a 25 pound Tom this morning. I called in his harem of hens and he wasn't too far behind. Another bumper year for the wild turkeys of Ontario.

I used it last night on some blackberry Dragon Blood. I filtered and bottled 3 gallons and to degassed and filtered another 5 gallons. Both tasks went really quickly. Also, I was using EZ cap bottles and really liked how the bottling attachment filled exactly to where I wanted uniformly. It was really easy to learn how to use the system.

As I make a lot of DB variants which require degssing, I opted for all the additional accessories for that task. The total including shipping was only $235.90, I consider that very reasonable, even though I'm a known penny-pinch.

I also purchased the recommended filter setup found here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/tips-tricks-using-whole-house-filter-37737/ I did buy 2 of each filter instead of one. The complete cost including shipping was $45.27. Excellent considering the cheapest filter housing at Lowe's was $40 which didn't include the extras AND the filters are more expensive.

So grand total = $281.17. I've only used it this once but I get the feeling that it's definitely going to be worth the cost. After speaking to Steve (AKA vacuumpumpmman) I know I have a limited time money back guarantee, though considering the reviews the system gets I don't think I'll be using it. I also know if I have any questions I can call him, now that's good customer service.

Good DEAL!

Hope to be bottling my 2013 Carmenere tonight. :db

Did the final racking on my Grenache Rose last night. I'll filter and bottle in two weeks. It's very nice, but tastes/smells like sorbate at first. :( I racked from a glass carboy to a better bottle and had a split, plus one glass leftover. I let the glass sit out for about 90 minutes, then chilled and drank it. It got much better with the time and significant 'swirling'. I guess I'll have to give it some time in the bottle.

I'm not making or bottling wine today, but my rhubarb is coming up nicely and I am excited about making my rhubarb wine soon. I grow some grapes, concord, Le Crescent, Kay Gray, and Marquette, but not enough to make large quantities of wine. I've never ordered juice, but if I could get a good price I might give it a go. I do have some peach with blueberries and concord seconds wine started. I also have some other sort of berry/plum/concord grapes wine started. I was cleaning out the fridge and sort of threw a few fruits together to see what would come out. So far so good. I'll let you know the results in 3 months or so. Sincerely, dwinemaker

Well I bottled 25 liters of Nero Davola/Dolcetta blend last night. I needed to make some room. I'm planning on picking up some juice this weekend. I had hoped to bulk age it a bit longer but I needed to shuffle some things around but I still have 50 liters in bulk so I'll get to compare bulk vs. bottle ageing. It's almost just as challanging as making the wine in the first place when you have limited space, time and equipment to get everything planned out and properly sequenced. :sh

Well I bottled 25 liters of Nero Davola/Dolcetta blend last night.

That's an interesting blend. I love Nero d'Avola and don't so much care for Dolcetta so I would have never thought to blend the two. Did you bench test the blend? Any tasting notes?

Working from home since I have a painting contractor coming over to give me an estimate on the house. Decided to set up the pool on the patio so it can warm up in the next 2-3 weeks.

My daughter will be happy when she comes home. Wonder if shhe will be brave enough to go in. She has every other year on the day we set it up. Boy is it cold though....

Working from home since I have a painting contractor coming over to give me an estimate on the house. Decided to set up the pool on the patio so it can warm up in the next 2-3 weeks.

My daughter will be happy when she comes home. Wonder if shhe will be brave enough to go in. She has every other year on the day we set it up. Boy is it cold though....

LOL, well it is getting pretty warm out there and sunny so maybe it will warm some.

LOL, well it is getting pretty warm out there and sunny so maybe it will warm some.

Pool needs about 10 more inches of water. I'll put the solar cover on it and let it go. Need to find my floating chlorinator. Have no clue where that disappeared to last year. I put come chlorine into the pump basket so it can start to circulate through. Water temp is currently at 60 degrees. I have no doubt my daughhter will come home from school and jump in the pool.

finished off the Wylie Winery Concord Cranberry with some turkey burgers from the grill. Bottled 2 cases of the Skeeter Pee, but its already spoken for. Another 2 1/2 cases to bottle downstairs. Taking Doug's advice on the catawba....

was outside all dang day got the yard mowed, planted a blueberry plant, cleaned around my red cedar trees got to do some shaping tomorrow, the one looks more like a bush:w did some more mulching today and still need more mulching and oh yea got a sunburn to boot! I ran out of daylight which is always par for the course when we have nice weather!

Taking a half day today so I can hopefully get the drawers I built sanded and stained before it rains this afternoon. Would really like to get that project done. Going to clean the house and go pick up my SKS....

That's an interesting blend. I love Nero d'Avola and don't so much care for Dolcetta so I would have never thought to blend the two. Did you bench test the blend? Any tasting notes?

It was actually totally by accident. When I was picking up the juice pails I had asked for three of Nero d'Avola intending to make a triple batch. When I finished putting everything into the fermenter (big brute) and began to clean up I went outside to rinse the pails and noticed that though they all looked exactly alike one was marked Dolcetta. I guess the kid at the supplier that pulled the pails for me didn't read them and just grabbed the three that looked the same. I never bothered to check them all myself either as we loaded them into my brother-in-law's truck. We got 5 all together 2 for him and 3 for me all Nero so we thought, mine was the only wrong one. So I've been tasting it of course since I culled one of the bottles and though it's still very young it tastes pretty good. The Dolcetta seemed to add some sweetness to the Nero but you can definitely taste both. I think it will be really good when it has reached it's time. :h

Going out tonight to celebrate "May Birthdays" both mine and one of my wife's closest friends are coming up and this was the only night the four of us could get together. Headed to dinner, then going to see "Neighbors". It'll be nice to have a night off from spreading mulch. Yesterday was just too damn hot - 90 degrees!

I am cleaning the upstairs and doing laundry.....I don't want to be an adult anymore.

Didn't get to sanding. Ran out and pjcked up Office 2013 for my wife the stopped and grabbed some groceries on the way home. The bigger saddle bags come in handy. Anyway when I got home it was very cloudy and the wind was picking up. Thought for sure that it was going to rain. Made a marinade for the swordfish steak then vacuumed and scrubbed the hardwood floors.

Back