What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pitched yeast on a CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah kit. I am using ICV-D254 yeast.

Very nice! Mine is bubbling away with RP15 and moving quickly. Pitched on Sunday, last night was already to 1.020. I'm hoping it'll slow a bit so I can leave it on the skins 6-8 days. I usually rack right around 1.000.

Very nice! Mine is bubbling away with RP15 and moving quickly. Pitched on Sunday, last night was already to 1.020. I'm hoping it'll slow a bit so I can leave it on the skins 6-8 days. I usually rack right around 1.000.

Hey, simpatico batches! Hope yours turns out well. Wow, that does seem like a quick fermentation. I just checked my notes. As you may recall, I used RP15 on my last batch (a Malbec). It got to 1.028 in about 3.5 days, so not that different. It really went quickly from 1.072 (when I added the nutrients) to 1.02x.

Gosh, I never thought about the fact that fast ferment => less time on skins. I have it at 75 F now. I could take it out of the warm room (where my furnace is) and put in in a cold room (which is about 60 F). Supposedly, the yeast can tolerate down to 54 F. (Yours can only go down to 68 F.) Maybe I will do that at about the half-sugar mark.... Of course, you get more extraction at higher temperatures -- Catch 22!

Started my first red wine kits today. A Syrah and a Cabernet Sauvignon. I am very excited. I hope the yumminess of the smell of the juice stays the same.

Racked my pressed apple cider and my Chilian Pinot Noir. Recieved my Eclipse Pinot in the mail today. Also working on a wine rack for my son to hold the Malbec I made for him. Only problem is the wife likes it to much won't have enough to fill the rack. Lol. Bakervinyard

building a blackberry press for this spring..organized a years worth of chemicals, made a new spread sheet for 2014 wine notes, and since it was 68, used the weedeater on the yard...bought fertilzer for my blackberries,citrus trees.

Went swimming for the first time in a long time and I'm in worse shape than I though. I use to swim competitively and marathons in high school. I spent most the time towing my wife around the pool, she can swim to save her life but that's about it. She just started mat leave so we are looking for things to do to to keep from going insane.

So it looks like I now have a fitness goal. Got to get back into frog shape

Today I decided to drive around to a few of the places I knew Cactus was growing and picked some Prickly Pears. Got home and bagged them into 3# bags and tossed all 14 freezer bags into the freezer in preparation for my next batch of wine. Had a fun day and even after picking 42 pounds I still left a lot on the last stand of cacti I found!

Plow, I know how you feel. I was on a nationally ranked relay team when I was young and swam into high school and intramurals in college, but can't do a lap today.

Added my 3 tsp of Superferment and the second bottles to my 2 batches of Skeeter Pee. SG's down to 1.030 and 1.020. Currently enjoying a nice pink Catawba on Pizza and Wine night.

.Got barrel #4 in today, I used the same method to prep/hydrate as I did with the last barrel, I placed the barrel in a plastic storage container and filled the container with a few gallons of boiling water, I then followed the normal prep instructions. Using this method, both the inside of the barrel and the out side cam in contact with boiling water.
The barrel appears sealed after two hours.

barrel1.jpg

barrel2.jpg

.Got barrel #4 in today, I used the same method to prep/hydrate as I did with the last barrel, I placed the barrel in a plastic storage container and filled the container with a few gallons of boiling water, I then followed the normal prep instructions. Using this method, both the inside of the barrel and the out side cam in contact with boiling water.
The barrel appears sealed after two hours.

I am soo Jealous Tom !!
That barrel looks so fantastic !!

Please keep us updated

Just for the record, the barrel didn't leak, and to my surprise, at 8 am the barrel was still warm to the touch, I filled it will boiling water over 15 hrs ago and it is still maintaining a decent temp, I must say that this is a direct reflection of the craftsmanship of the cooperage. Once again, Vadai has shown that it sells a top notch product.

I am going to bottle some crab apple.
Add some peptic to some Choco/ rasp to try get rid of the haze .

I am going to start WE selection Barolo .
I am going to add my left over (stored in deep freezer) super Tuscan grapeskins.

And laundry & sins birthday party

I haven't done anything wine related in a while. Yesterday I cleaned some bottles. Will give the wines a Racking next week when I'm off work. Been busy with life in general. Can't wait til March for our Disney trip. This will be our first big vacation with our 7 y/o. She doesn't know anything about it yet. Will tell her on her birthday next month...

Can't wait til March for our Disney trip. This will be our first big vacation with our 7 y/o. She doesn't know anything about it yet. Will tell her on her birthday next month...

We took our 6 and 4 year olds in November and didn't tell them until we woke them up to go to the airport. So fun. She will have a blast.

We took our 6 and 4 year olds in November and didn't tell them until we woke them up to go to the airport. So fun. She will have a blast.

We're somehow going to incorporate telling her into her birthday gift next month when she turns 7. May send her a card from Cinderella inviting her to a visit at her castle. We'll think of something...

Latest posts

Back