What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done anything wine related in a while. Yesterday I cleaned some bottles. Will give the wines a Racking next week when I'm off work. Been busy with life in general. Can't wait til March for our Disney trip. This will be our first big vacation with our 7 y/o. She doesn't know anything about it yet. Will tell her on her birthday next month...

OMG your daughter will remember it for the rest of her life! We have gone a few times but the most memorable has to be when we celebrated our daughter's 7th birthday there. She got a bday card from goofy left in the hotel room... So much fun.

Racked my California Syrah to secondary today. Question: Does it have to be covered like the white wines? It just looked so PURDY, I didn't want to cover it. But I will (sigh) if I have to and as soon as the laundry is done as that is where my carboy cover is at the moment.

photo.jpg

shelly, i think you will be ok without covering..but i would top it off some more...just to be on the safe side..looks good...i bet it has a nice finish color.

Today all I did was some cleaning and de-labeling of bottles that I didn't get to complete yesterday. But yesterday - racked 18 gallons of the wedding wine (Pinot Noir), racked 18 gallons of the Nero Davola/Dolcetta blend and racked 6 and a half gallons of Skeeter Pee. :D

Shelley,
Cover the carboy, avoid putting your carboys in direct sunlight. It may effect the color of the wine,UV is no good to wine

So, this week we're house-sitting for my inlaws (while they're off on holidays) and looking after their garden, including the vines ... and as luck would have it summer has decided to really hit hard.

Currently in the second day of a 5-day spell of temperatures above 40*C (that's 104*F) ... today it reached 45 (113).

The grapes are suffering, they are only just going through veraison and already a lot of them are getting sunburned / shrivelled. :( Pretty sure not much can be done (different canopy management might have made a difference), other than just pump them with water which is unrealistic.

Could do with a polar vortex right about now :p ...

Racked my California Syrah to secondary today. Question: Does it have to be covered like the white wines? It just looked so PURDY, I didn't want to cover it. But I will (sigh) if I have to and as soon as the laundry is done as that is where my carboy cover is at the moment.
Shelley, as pumpkinman said, cover it! I know,lol, you like to see it but since it's in laundryroom it'll look much purdier 6 mos. from now if you covered.

sorry shelly did not see where you said it was in direct sunlight.
I saw a window with blinds and a cover over it....
I keep mine in a room similar, I have to turn a light on to see.

I made a dozen bottles of sparking wine, half Chardonnay, half Pinot Noir using the Fast method, can't wait to crack them open in a few weeks!

I made a press ,and dont like it..today I am going to make a masher out of a rolling pin ,hydraulic motor,some kind of chute to add fruit too.
Trying to get ready for all the blackberries this spring..
Planning to have at least 100 gallons are more of pure juice.

I made a press ,and dont like it..today I am going to make a masher out of a rolling pin ,hydraulic motor,some kind of chute to add fruit too.
Trying to get ready for all the blackberries this spring..
Planning to have at least 100 gallons are more of pure juice.

also trying to make wine from, lets say plant material for the new emerging markets....

LOL...purple kind of plant material....

Blackberry grappa? If so, I love the concept.

Latest posts

Back