What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have the day off today, plan on cleaning he labels off some bottles that I started to soak last night and then determine if anything needs racked. May bottle and hide some of the chillean to free up some 2 six gallon carboys for future upcoming racking. Then again, I may sit around and do nothing. I haven't decided.

Regarding labels. Someone posted a couple of weeks ago to put the bottles in the oven at 350º for 7 mins. I tried it and I was blown away! They came right off. (You have to do it while the bottle is still hot) There was some residual adhesive, but nothing goo gone didn't handle.
I couldn't find the thread to thank the person who posted it, but i could kiss him. No more soaking and scraping for me.

I've got bottles soaking and if the labels don't come off after soaking, the bottles go in the recycleables.

Totally exhausted from work today, so no bottling today. Though I could use a bottle of wine....

This is what I woke up to. I think I will just stay in the house and mix up the Moscato, Riesling and Symphony kits today. After being on the NC coast all these years I don't deal well with snow and cold. I think the Minnesota is completely out of me.

image-2323132123.jpg

image-4198103795.jpg

This is what I woke up to. I think I will just stay in the house and mix up the Moscato, Riesling and Symphony kits today. After being on the NC coast all these years I don't deal well with snow and cold. I think the Minnesota is completely out of me.

Looks like a good day to stay inside and play with the wines.
I started a WE Symphony yesterday. I had never seen that kit before and it looked intriguing. All the flavors I love. Especially the Mango.
Have you done this kit before?

Looks like a good day to stay inside and play with the wines.
I started a WE Symphony yesterday. I had never seen that kit before and it looked intriguing. All the flavors I love. Especially the Mango.
Have you done this kit before?

No I haven't done it before, but it sounded so good I wanted to try it. Was going to put it off till the New Year, but the boxed just jumped in my cart as I walked by and just seemed sad so I took it home.

I was in Evansville Indiana Monday and Tuesday, visiting a supplier. Flew from Phila. to Chicago to Evansville Monday and back home on Tuesday.
It snowed in Chicago and delayed our flights, and then on Tuesday our flight was again delayed, but this time for mechanical problems.
I spent more time in the air and at airports then I did at the suppliers office. Here
s the snow accumulation for Evansville. Chicago has more.

Perry-20131112-00017.jpg

I had a CC Lodi OVZ clearing in the carboy. Racked to a bucket, cleaned the carboy, and racked back to carboy.

Be patient with that one. Mine is 20 months old and still coming around. It was one of my first kits though, and a couple rookie mistakes are slowing down the progress. But I've read it's about 18+ months for that one. I'm enjoying mine, but need to decant it a bit. It's a good kit.

Be patient with that one. Mine is 20 months old and still coming around. It was one of my first kits though, and a couple rookie mistakes are slowing down the progress. But I've read it's about 18+ months for that one. I'm enjoying mine, but need to decant it a bit. It's a good kit.

Jim, thank you for taking the time to share that info. I certainly intend to age it, but it is good for me to know your time frame.

I stole a taste while racking. Overall I was pleased, but I thought it seemed a bit thin (which surprised me). I decided to do a small tweak, and added 1 tbsp of wine tannin to the aging carboy. Umm, time will tell!

Well now this is a first. I found a dead rat in the basement. I have lived in this area for 26 years and have never even seen a rat. So of course the first one I find is dead and in my house. We have always had problems with mice and chipmunks but never rats. Thank god the wife was not home, she would freak right out.

Now I have to figure out the best eradication plan, cause where there's one there's more.

Dead Rat??? My parents moved out of a rented house when I was first born because the rats kept stealing my baby clothes to make a nest. However, we did have a baby bunny in our garage and my wife and daughter almost had heart attacks over that. A rat would have had me selling the house....

Jeepers we must breed them tough over here; I live rural and finding dead rats in the chickens water is a common occurrence! Glad I'm not squeamish like you lot (LMAO)...

Getting house and yard ready for 40th high school class reunion tonight.

Last edited:
Well now this is a first. I found a dead rat in the basement. I have lived in this area for 26 years and have never even seen a rat. So of course the first one I find is dead and in my house. We have always had problems with mice and chipmunks but never rats. Thank god the wife was not home, she would freak right out.

Now I have to figure out the best eradication plan, cause where there's one there's more.

You need to figure out where they are coming in first. LOL, but you better come up with a believable lie as to what you are doing!

Winterizing the house, but I could get away with saying nothing at all. My wife doesn't ask too many questions if I'm off the couch and it looks like I'm doing actual work.

LAZY DAY... Weather is nasty and it is one of those curl up on the couch days. I did rack 6 gallons of SP to carboy this morning. To LAZY for anything else.

Latest posts

Back